Convert / Extend Multiple O In Bangkok Or Leave The Country?

Hi,

I have looked on your forum for an answer to this issue, but can't find it. I apologise if it's already somewhere in there.

I currently have a multiple entry Non-Immigrant O visa that was issued in Penang in June 2011 on the basis of marriage / supporting a child. As it stands the visas final entry needs to be used before June 30th 2012. So I could leave Thailand every three months to Cambodia for example, and return on the same day to activate the next entry of the visa, continuing to do that every three months until June 30th 2012.

I recently got a new job though which has now provided me with a work permit that was given on top of the Multiple entry O visa. This means that I still have the Non-immigrant O multiple entry visa and a work permit.

I now have the choice of just continuing to go to the Cambodian border every three months as i said, or going to immigration in Bangkok next month and using my current employment contract plus work permit to extend / convert this entry of my O visa to a year visa supported by employment.

Ideally I would like to do that, but my only reservation is that if my employment should finish within the next 6 months (not that I have any reason to think it would), does my original multiple entry visa that was issued in Penang (valid til June 2012) become invalidated by extending / converting the first entry of it in Bangkok.

Logic would suggest that the multiple entry visa would still remain valid, but nobody at immigration can answer this question directly on the phone, and they don't reply to e mails.

Can anybody advise me on this please.

Thank you

Jessie

It should remain available for later use but have seen several reports over the years of it being marked "used" when extended so seems to be a chance it would not be. Don't believe there is any rule one way or the other than can be cited.

To be safer you might want to consider extension for Thai Wife if the job/your financials allow as they would not end on end of employment. Or just enjoy the outings every few months.

Thanks lopburi3 for your help. One question though. Are you saying I could avoid doing the visa run to Cambodia and extend it in Bangkok by showing a certain amount of money in the bank?

Kind regards

Jessie

It should remain available for later use but have seen several reports over the years of it being marked "used" when extended so seems to be a chance it would not be. Don't believe there is any rule one way or the other than can be cited.

To be safer you might want to consider extension for Thai Wife if the job/your financials allow as they would not end on end of employment. Or just enjoy the outings every few months.

Thanks again lopburi3.

I guess that's a better option than extending on the basis of work. Although, would I be right in thinking that there still exists the possibility that ,as you said earlier, it could get stamped as used (because it's an extension in Bangkok, rather than activation of a new entry from a border point.?

Thanks again

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Quick update on my situation. I went to immigration last week to extend the first entry of my recently issued Multiple entry O visa (Issued in Penang). I pointed out that if an extension of the 1st entry on the basis of work meant that I would lose the underlying multiple entry visa I would rather do a border run this week. They pointed out that this is totally unnecessary , and the Mutiple entry O will remain valid despite the extension of the first entry through employment. Common sense prevailed.

The official who extended the visa did question why I was working on a O visa (something that I know many people have done and are totally entitled to do when work permit has been issued on an O ). I simply replied that I didn't issue the work permit myself (Then bit my tongue). I guess there will always be some of them who are not up to speed.

"I guess that's a better option than extending on the basis of work. Although, would I be right in thinking that there still exists the possibility that ,as you said earlier, it could get stamped as used (because it's an extension in Bangkok, rather than activation of a new entry from a border point.?"

I think I'm following the question...

I don't think it would matter because the extension for marriage at immigration is for 1 year.

The extension is of your permitted to stay stamp period - not of the visa time.

If you enter on a single entry visa it is used on entry and to keep your current stay would require a re-entry permit to make a new entry.

The only difference with the multi entry visa is the visa remains valid for a new entry if you want to use it but by doing so any extension of stay would be lost. But on the other hand if an extension of stay is lost due to no longer qualifying for it you could exit/return and use the multi entry visa for a new 90 day stay.