Does Thai Wife Need Passport For Overnight Vientaine Visit?

Hi,

My wife is a native of Nong Khai (city) andlives quite close to Freedom Bridge.

We have been talking about going to Vientiane and staying overnight, and then going to some other places in Laos.

She understands how to get a "day pass" -is it true that she needs a Thai passport to stay overnight in Vientaine?

It makes sense that she would have to do this, -if so, how fast can a Thai usually obtain a Thai passport?

Can this be done in Udon Thani for a expedited fee at a government office?

-saanya

Thai passport cost 1,000 baht. For an extra 35 baht they will send it to her home by EMS. Takes about 4 working days, same day service might be availeble.

OK that's pretty straightforward about the passport, we'll contact the office in Kon Kaen and ask if there's a way to do it in Udon or not.

As far as the Thai day/night pass for her will just have to wait out others (who have a Thai spouse) in the forum who have done the day pass thing.

The main question about that is about how many days in advance she might have to get that if there's no time to do a passport in KK.

-saanya

Thai passport cost 1,000 baht. For an extra 35 baht they will send it to her home by EMS. Takes about 4 working days, same day service might be availeble.

OK that's pretty straightforward about the passport, we'll contact the office in Kon Kaen and ask if there's a way to do it in Udon or not.

As far as the Thai day/night pass for her will just have to wait out others (who have a Thai spouse) in the forum who have done the day pass thing.

The main question about that is about how many days in advance she might have to get that if there's no time to do a passport in KK.

-saanya

OK, we called the office while there was time left about the overnight border pass [for Thais] and got a critical bit of info -the Border Pass is different from a Temporary Border Pass.

The Border Pass [for Thais] allows 3 days 2 nights, and it's time begins upon crossing the border. She and others were under the impression that if a border pass was bought on a Tuesday, and they left Wednesday AM, they would "lose a night" (Tuesday) and only have one night left. No, it begins upon crossing. (as it should be).

It can be purchased in advance, it doesn't "have to be used the next day". Looking to get the exact amount of time it's good for.

Thanks to spieke :jap: :jap: :jap: for the info on the Udon Thani passport office [for Thais], we are in Udon at the moment and will go there Monday for her. There's a program about "e-passports" but the English video doesn't have any sound. Here's the Thai one: E-passport

There's some confusion about "renewing/extending" a Thai passport she and I ran across, once we actually translate and understand the specific requirement we'll post here so the subject is complete as a forum item of value in current context August 2011.

-saanya

Edited by saanya

OK, we called the office while there was time left about the overnight pass and got a critical bit of info -the Border Pass is different from a Temporary Border Pass.

The Border Pass allows 3 days 2 nights, and it's time begins upon crossing the border. She and others were under the impression that if a border pass was bought on a Tuesday, and they left Wednesday AM, they would "lose a night" (Tuesday) and only have one night left. No, it begins upon crossing. (as it should be).

It can be purchased in advance, it doesn't "have to be used the next day". Looking to get the exact amount of time it's good for.

Thanks to spieke :jap::jap::jap:for the info on the Udon Thani passport office, we are in Udon at the moment and will go there Monday for her.

There's some confusion about "renewing/extending" a Thai passport she and I ran across, once we actually translate and understand the specific requirement we'll post here so the subject is complete as a forum item of value in current context August 2011.

-saanya

Correct, 3 days 2 nights for the Border Pass, but note, it's limited to Vientiane and the "immediate" area, altho I've not seen this defined. I'd expect, tho, that it doesn't include Vang Viang, a popular expat destination.

My wife used to get the Border Pass from one of the tour agents there right close to the bridge, or downtown before there was the bridge. Then we discovered that she could go for FREE if she had a passport, faster, too, as no extra paperwork. And with a passport can travel the entire country.

Mac

Edited by lopburi3
fix quote

I went there with my ex twice about 5 yrs ago. All she did was apply for a traveling certificate at the Thai side of the border. She was allowed to stay for 3 days in each occasion, although we were able to get a three day extension for her ( at the Laotian immigration office ) the second time because we wanted to travel up north.

-saanya

3 days on the id card or 30 days on the passport , I also believe that if you get stuck or need more than 3 days the hotels can apply for an extension , or she just goes over the bridge and comes back for another 3 days on the id card