Update On Bourbon St. Restaurant & Washington Square

TallGuyJohninBKK

Got an email the other day from the Bourbon St. Restaurant in Washington Square advertising their upcoming 25th anniversary buffet specials on Sept. 17-18, and saying it will be the LAST anniversary at their current location before they move...

I haven't seen a lot lately in terms of updates on the general redevelopment plans for Washington Square. But at least it does seem that the end there will be coming soon for Bourbon Street... It's been talked about for so long, hard to believe it's finally going to happen...

http://www.bourbonstbkk.com/25th_anniversary.html

Doug has a new location on ekkamai I believe nearing completion.

As for ws, maybe the long rumors of its demolition are true? No doubt for a shopping mall or condo/hotel.

I spoke to the manager of the Sportsman recently, he said its business as usual as they have been talking about construction for years (holiday inn, I think) but no plans to take any action any time soon. Then again, these things come swiftly without warning.

One bar owner there told me they just got a 6 month lease extension which has been the norm for the last few years, no more than 6 months at a time with no guarantee of renewal. The upside was no key money asked for the last few years as well. He said that most other bars there had essentially the same deal.

So I guess the question is.... is BS moving out because they just decided to and wanted to chart their own future course.... or are they moving out now because of some broader end/redevelopment actually coming soon to the WS location?

Why not ask doug on their facebook page?

Several bars have closed down and the big massage place has gone as well. It must be like a ghost town around there now.

Actually it is not much different than it has been for several years. I have not seen the Sportsman this busy in a couple of years and all the closing of the Lone Staar did was drive its customers to the Silver Dollar which is also doing a much better trade now.

As far as massage places ... is there really such a shortage of them in the Sukhumvit area?

• 2 weeks later...

60 mil USD for a 30 year lease on Washington Square....can't believe nobody is lining up to take it...LOL....

Bourbon Street is a Bangkok icon after 25 years of trading.. Can't wait to check out their new digs on Ekamai when they make the move....Washington Square has become a bit to tumbleweed friendly for my tastes as of late. (Sportsman excluded)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Went to the new Bourbon St. in Ekamai this week.

Food was excellent but otherwise things not good. The waitress forgot to order our main courses and took an awful long time to sort that out.

The air conditioning on the second floor has not been thought out. We were receiving frozen blasts but when we requested it turned down or off, folks the other end were complaining of being too hot.

Not impressed at all but hopefully all will be sorted eventually.

Food was excellent but otherwise things not good. The waitress forgot to order our main courses and took an awful long time to sort that out.

The air conditioning on the second floor has not been thought out. We were receiving frozen blasts but when we requested it turned down or off, folks the other end were complaining of being too hot.

All new places needs time to adjust!

I expect most things to be sorted out in a week or so................rolleyes.gif

With a 25 years experience from Washington Sq. the future should be bright! biggrin.png