Motorbike Insurance - What Does It Cover?

davevi

I am soon to buy a motorbike. I see many used motorbikes advertised with "includes mandatory insurance through 201x".

So, my question is what is covered by the mandatory motorbike insurance?

If I buy a new bike will the dealer also provide the first year insurance and tax sticker?

What if I buy used from a dealer, any difference on the tax sticker or insurance?

And, if I buy used from a private party what is normally included?

Last question (I swear), next year when I go to renew the tax sticker and insurance where can I do that? My Thai friend mentioned I could do it at Lotus Tesco but gave no details.

Thanks everyone!

The mandatory insurance, which is what comes free with a new bike is a third party liability insurance. Meaning, it covers a limited amount of hospital costs to the other driver (assuming you caused an accident). Unless otherwise stated, this is the only insurance that is going to come with a bike, new or used.

You can get a 1st class insurance which will cover more (including your hospital bills) but this can also be covered by other insurances such as accident or health insurance.

There is also a insurance for theft, but is generally applicable to newer bikes.

There are many companies that offer motorbike insurance, Tesco has a basic offering as well.

btw, used dealers and private sellers are all across the board. They may or may not be registered, and may or may not be insured.

Edited by CMSteve

the place to renew is when you come over the ping bridge -holiday inn on the right rajaveij hospital on the left just straight ahead where the traffic light is.for cars and bikes.

note:some if not all the insurance cover is only for people with a valid(in thailand) motorcy license!

You might find the explanation on here helps:

http://www.gt-rider.com/motorcycles-in-thailand/motorcycle-insurance-cover

Some o fit depends on what type of bike you are looking at. For the first class insurance there are different policies that basically end up the more you pay the more you are eligible for. At the end of the link is an applicatin for a quote. They do tend to be on the high side but they do tend to quote a bigger pay back.

If you ar elooking at Hangdong Road Tesco Lotus, I buy my obligatory insurance from a small shop about 200m past there. Unfotunately following an armed raid the lady in there has to keep the door locked now but it is opened on request.

If you are looking at 1st class insurance then I willl PM you.

If you go for a new or near new bike you could ask the dealer how much it would be to bundle 1st class insurance from The Viriyah, it's a major insurer here. I've been told it's only available through the bike dealers, but I'm not certain about. At least it would give you something to compare against. Good claims reputation and competitive price.

the place to renew is when you come over the ping bridge -holiday inn on the right rajaveij hospital on the left just straight ahead where the traffic light is.for cars and bikes.

note:some if not all the insurance cover is only for people with a valid(in thailand) motorcy license!

Uptoyou..this is the road and traffic department, right? ..also, do you know if this place offers various categories of insurance? Need to renew my bike insurance and wish to check the various options available.

Uptoyou..this is the road and traffic department, right? ..also, do you know if this place offers various categories of insurance? Need to renew my bike insurance and wish to check the various options available.

I think they only do the mandatory government insurance from this place.

As mentioned, mat be best to contact Gary at AA.

I'm informed that TV is no longer working in partnership with AA so would be best to contact them directly.

Edited by mrclough

Seems reasonable..

Remember thats covering you driving into a merc, up to 600k cover.. Injury to people 300k.. Accident and bail bond..

Its not just a little scooter its insuring against damage, its the damage you can do to other parties, that risk doesnt change much if its a fino or Ferrari..

This is very high compared to what I`m paying. My insurance was bundled with the bike by the dealer as mentioned previously.

It just occurred to me, maybe my insurance is lower because I`m living out in the country. In the UK this would give me a lower rate, but I don`t know if postcode affects the rates in Thailand.

AS far as I can see

CTPL insurance covers life and injury to driver, passenger and third party for 15k of hospital expenses, then upto 50k for other personal costs.

Beware of sites 'forgetting' the cover to driver and passengers, they are trying to scare you into buying more insurance.

Just what I think, I may be wrong.

This is very high compared to what I`m paying. My insurance was bundled with the bike by the dealer as mentioned previously.

You have bundled with the bike, government insurance, which is legally needed to ride on the road, but pays almost nothing.

You have bundled with the bike, government insurance, which is legally needed to ride on the road, but pays almost nothing.

This may come as a surprise to you, but I am more aware of the nature of my various bike and car insurances than you are. Please do me the courtesy of reading my initial posting.

This may come as a surprise to you, but I am more aware of the nature of my various bike and car insurances than you are. Please do me the courtesy of reading my initial posting.

My apologies then.. Only in my experience I have never seen class 1 type insurances 'bundled with the bike'.. Only ever min gov legal insurance. Its certainly is far from normal or SOP.

Which bike dealer and what insurance ??

I had first class insurance on a bike a couple of years ago but it only covered the medical bills up to a certain limit and the theft of the bike i think it was 80% of the value of the bike in the first year, but as i found out after an accident the bike was not covered so i had to pay out of my own pocket for the bike repairs (Mine).

I got the impression it is virtually impossible to get cover for the repairs to the bike unless any thing has changed over the last couple of years.

any body throw some light on this.

My apologies then.. Only in my experience I have never seen class 1 type insurances 'bundled with the bike'.. Only ever min gov legal insurance. Its certainly is far from normal or SOP.

Which bike dealer and what insurance ??

LLOS you seem to be one of the more reasonable users of this forum so I'll politely again request you to read my initial post on this thread, where you'll find the answer to one of your questions - the other is not relevant imho.

Regarding the TV users who recommend AA brokers, I don't know all the details of AA's relationship with TV (and I have no interest to either) but I gather AA is a major sponsor of TV, or wholly owned or whatever, and that's fair enough, as TV is not a charity and needs funds to continue to provide this service, but personally I prefer to ask Thai friends to organise things for me; I gather that many other expats here are not able to do that or don't want to, that's their choice.

I had first class insurance on a bike a couple of years ago but it only covered the medical bills up to a certain limit and the theft of the bike i think it was 80% of the value of the bike in the first year, but as i found out after an accident the bike was not covered so i had to pay out of my own pocket for the bike repairs (Mine).

I got the impression it is virtually impossible to get cover for the repairs to the bike unless any thing has changed over the last couple of years.

Therefore it was not 1st Class insurance <_<

That was helpful, are you saying that 1st class motorcycle insurance covers damage to the bike?

That was helpful, are you saying that 1st class motorcycle insurance covers damage to the bike?

Real class 1 does.. Tho often not the full new value but a depreciated cost.

Not all vehicles can get class 1 tho.. Theres a few substitutes like 2+1 systems etc.

Not all vehicles can get class 1 tho.. Theres a few substitutes like 2+1 systems etc.

Do not depend on hearsay from Dealers, wives, girlfriends, mates in the pub etc - go to a Licensed Broker and find out. It is their job and they know about insurance unlike all these others. Again, Gary at AA Brokers is the best in Chiang Mai !

Ah ok but one thing i still don't understand is if you are saying real first class does (Bike Damage) but not the full value, i am just thinking how does that work?

Am i to assume that if you have lets say a 11 month old bike and you have damage to say the front forks and wheel (From an accident)and the bill at the Honda shop to replace these items is say 10,000 Bht then the insurance company will only pay for part of that and not the true cost of getting the item/s replaced.

It would be nice to hear from some one here with actual 1st class insurance who had accident damage on their bike to come forth and confirm the insurance company paid for the damage to the bike from a road traffic collision, or some one who had rented a bike with 1st class insurance to confirm the damage to the bike was met by the insurance company, alough in this second case i think it is highly unlikely. :)

I just had a look at GT Riders insurance page mentions a lot about Injury, property damage, bail bond, pillion coverage but no damage to the bike mentioned unless you were to take the bit that says, agreed value to the bike as the part that covers the damage, but personally i would IMHO take that to be the theft cover, take a look and see what you think.

Do not depend on hearsay from Dealers, wives, girlfriends, mates in the pub etc - go to a Licensed Broker and find out. It is their job and they know about insurance unlike all these others. Again, Gary at AA Brokers is the best in Chiang Mai !

I have spoken to many licensed brokers.. AA Insure, ThaiVIsa, Tony Dabbs, Etc etc etc..

And the fact remains. Many bikes (and cars) cannot get class 1 insurance. Due to age, due to being grey imported and no dealer parts channel, due to all manner of reasons.

Not bloke down the pub says.. Nothing to do with wives or girlfriends.. Just how it is.

Ah ok but one thing i still don't understand is if you are saying real first class does (Bike Damage) but not the full value, i am just thinking how does that work?

Am i to assume that if you have lets say a 11 month old bike and you have damage to say the front forks and wheel (From an accident)and the bill at the Honda shop to replace these items is say 10,000 Bht then the insurance company will only pay for part of that and not the true cost of getting the item/s replaced.

It would be nice to hear from some one here with actual 1st class insurance who had accident damage on their bike to come forth and confirm the insurance company paid for the damage to the bike from a road traffic collision, or some one who had rented a bike with 1st class insurance to confirm the damage to the bike was met by the insurance company, alough in this second case i think it is highly unlikely. :)

I just had a look at GT Riders insurance page mentions a lot about Injury, property damage, bail bond, pillion coverage but no damage to the bike mentioned unless you were to take the bit that says, agreed value to the bike as the part that covers the damage, but personally i would IMHO take that to be the theft cover, take a look and see what you think.

If you have full class 1.. You will have an agreed total loss value on the bike.

If you have repairable damage claim then its paid for in full, if you have unrepairable damage or damage that exceeds the total loss amount to repair you get the total loss agreed value, which is less than the new price, as the bike is no longer new.

If the bike is less than 10 years old, and comes from a main dealer supply channel you can get class 1.. Harleys seem to be able to get insurance over the age limit. But if you have a grey import bike, insurance is tough to get and so far its been impossible to get (class 1) on my bikes.

If you have full class 1.. You will have an agreed total loss value on the bike.

If you have repairable damage claim then its paid for in full, if you have unrepairable damage or damage that exceeds the total loss amount to repair you get the total loss agreed value, which is less than the new price, as the bike is no longer new.

If the bike is less than 10 years old, and comes from a main dealer supply channel you can get class 1.. Harleys seem to be able to get insurance over the age limit. But if you have a grey import bike, insurance is tough to get and so far its been impossible to get (class 1) on my bikes.

Thanks for that, it now all makes sense.

TB