Road Trip To Nan

pomchop

I want to drive via car from CR to Phayao, spend one night in some simple guesthouse on the lake there. Then drive to Nan for a night or so.

Going down would be on main highway which i assume is four lanes entire way to Phayao and then on to Nan? But from Nan back to CR am thinking of the back roads to chiang kiam and then Thoeng back to CR.

Anyone ever done this trip and have any thoughts? Any really interesting don't miss things/towns i should see? Is the back road way back to CR a good drive/scenic/decent roads? Would it be worthwhile to stop in Thoeng for a night? Approx driving time Nan back to CR on back roads?

Any advice or suggestions anyone who has done this trip would be appreciated. This is the basic map i have been looking at to get an idea of what roads might make sense.

http://www.clickthai.de/Bilder/Karten/ThaiN70.gif

Thank you.

This route is vey nice and scenic but I don't know what the roads are like this time of year. It si quite steep and narrow in places

Leave Nan heading North to Ban A Ham

turn left heading to Ban Doi Chi and head on over Mount Pha Chang

Turn right head to Chiang Kham and beyond to Thoeng

There's a very nice old wooden temple in Chiang Kham worth a looksee

Pretty much after Chiang Kham the road flattens out and is much like everywhere else in the north.

You might need to set off with a full tank as I dont have a griff on petrol stations on that route.

Enjoy :D

This route is vey nice and scenic but I don't know what the roads are like this time of year. It si quite steep and narrow in places

Leave Nan heading North to Ban A Ham

turn left heading to Ban Doi Chi and head on over Mount Pha Chang

Turn right head to Chiang Kham and beyond to Thoeng

There's a very nice old wooden temple in Chiang Kham worth a looksee

Pretty much after Chiang Kham the road flattens out and is much like everywhere else in the north.

You might need to set off with a full tank as I dont have a griff on petrol stations on that route.

Enjoy :D

The road between Nan and Chiang Kham is one of the best roads for motorbikes, lots of beautiful turns and twists, up and down etc. But still a very good road in a car or a truck. Good asphalt when we were there last time maybe 6-8 months ago.

In Nan they have a a kind of National Museum that is interesting.

And there is a quite interesting Modern Art Museum , Nan Riverside Art Galleri, on the road, on your right hand side coming from Nan, about 20 km from Nan. We were there almost 2 years ago and at that time there were many signs along the road saying like " 10 km to the XXX Galleri". post-29230-0-06862600-1314430884_thumb.j post-29230-0-81654700-1314430938_thumb.jpost-29230-0-00856000-1314430946_thumb.jpost-29230-0-85519400-1314430952_thumb.jpost-29230-0-40182900-1314430961_thumb.j

If you have time you can go to Chiang Klang where you can find some special Weaving. post-29230-0-32311800-1314431154_thumb.jpost-29230-0-91690200-1314431161_thumb.jpost-29230-0-01636800-1314431166_thumb.jpost-29230-0-43013300-1314431169_thumb.jpost-29230-0-03707000-1314431172_thumb.j

Here another post from another trip.

About Nan

Have a good time !

:)B);)

post-29230-0-87717000-1314430655_thumb.j

post-29230-0-36944000-1314430934_thumb.j

Edited by svenivan

Thanks for all the info. Does anyone recall approx driving time from Nan via back roads back to CR? Trying to figure out if would be comfortable to do in one day or if i should stop somewhere like Toeng?

Also any specific recommendation for guest house on the lake in Phayao and also in Nan or all pretty much same same?

Check for the flooding situation there, in Nan. Perhaps okay, but one never knows. And if you do have time, try and squeeze in a side trip to Phu Chi Fa. That is out that way and is something to behold. As Humble Oil, pre Exxon used to say....Happy Motoring! ett

Check for the flooding situation there, in Nan. Perhaps okay, but one never knows. And if you do have time, try and squeeze in a side trip to Phu Chi Fa. That is out that way and is something to behold. As Humble Oil, pre Exxon used to say....Happy Motoring! ett

Did the Phu Chi Fa before on a motorbike...heck of a trip.

Thanks for all the info. Does anyone recall approx driving time from Nan via back roads back to CR? Trying to figure out if would be comfortable to do in one day or if i should stop somewhere like Toeng?

Also any specific recommendation for guest house on the lake in Phayao and also in Nan or all pretty much same same?

You'll nail Cr - Nan in a day if you're not stopping constantly for attractions, Phayao a great place for lunch but quite frankly not many (any?) decent places for the night. I stand to be corrected on this of course, but remember a thread on here fairly recently confirming it.

Again, back in a day through Thoeng not a problem. If you're going to go up & around Phu chi fah, then that's quite a jaunt; scenery out of this world but the roads are terrible. Give it a couple of months & they'll have had chance to start repairs.

Nan itself? You won't be disappointed!

I made that drive one afternoon/evening after missing the CR turnoff just north of Phrae .. about '97. Road was earthen and narrow, but okay. As some posters indicate the improved road, I would think it would be a fairly easy drive. It is a very scenic drive.

According to Google Maps, taking the route through Thoeng is about 240 km. Even at an average of 40 kmh, that's only 6 hours.

I made that drive one afternoon/evening after missing the CR turnoff just north of Phrae .. about '97. Road was earthen and narrow, but okay. As some posters indicate the improved road, I would think it would be a fairly easy drive. It is a very scenic drive.

thank you...so do you suppose the road has now been paved or still dirt? Not sure about a dirt road in rainy season as I just have a regular car with fairly low clearance, no 4 wheel drive, etc....maybe i should wait a bit til rains stop...don't want to try and drive through too much mud...

thank you...so do you suppose the road has now been paved or still dirt? Not sure about a dirt road in rainy season as I just have a regular car with fairly low clearance, no 4 wheel drive, etc....maybe i should wait a bit til rains stop...don't want to try and drive through too much mud...

Hi pomchop,

I haven't been in that neck of the woods in many years so I wouldn't know. Maybe another person knows the road condition.

Looks like Sven answered here;

The road between Nan and Chiang Kham is one of the best roads for motorbikes, lots of beautiful turns and twists, up and down etc. But still a very good road in a car or a truck. Good asphalt when we were there last time maybe 6-8 months ago.

While driving in the rain is no picnic, and local flooding can be a real pain, Thailand is just such a vivid color of green during the rainy season. It's beautiful.

Edited by klikster

Done that trip a few times. Great trip! Must say: Best to drive to Nan the same day. Drive via Pong (1020-1292) and on to Nan. Happy driving and beautiful scenery from Pong to Nan!! I have NOT done it during the raining season. B)

• 1 month later...

For those among us that take an interest in art and history Nan is absolutely a place to visit.

It was the capital of a great kingdom extending far north of the Mekong River. The now Thai

part of it is said to cover only a quarter of its original size.

After the proven unwillingness of the Siamese to add their country to French Indochina

(a result of the Paknam incident of 1893, to a certain degree neutralized by the subsequent

negotiating under the guidance of the Belgian-Thai Prince Chao Phrya Abhai Raja Siammanukulkij,

who's name we all know of the foundation that created the hilltribe football stadium in Maechan)

the king of Nan saved his neck but lost in the process all territory north of the Mekong and was

forbidden to engage any kind of soldiers fifty kilometer south of it.

As long as the last king of Nan lived king Rama V (the great King Chulalongkorn) respected his

autonomy but after he passed away (1912?) the former vassal state officially became part of Siam.

As Svenivan pointed out: the museum is one of the best in northern Thailand (located in the

former administrative centre of Nan, also referred to as the palace of its last king.

It's a building comparable to that in Phrae and our own Sala Klang Kao at the Singaklaj Road.

There are several temples that are absolutely worth a visit, with the Wat Puminn of course

in first place. This old restored temple is especially famous for its murals, correctly dated

probably the fourth quarter of the nineteenth century with reference to earlier dates.

Among several Chiangrai foreigners Nan Fc became a club they support. The home games of Nan Fc

became therefore a special reason to visit this lovely town for them. Others liked to visit the boat

races, especially Dutch residents of Chiang Rai, as one of their fellow country man has a

prominent position in this event.

Those from Chiangrai that visit Nan on a regular base choose Ngao to the T-crossing where you

go right to Phrae and left to Nan. It is about thirty kilometers more, but almost two hours less.

During this season it is nice however to take the Pong route back as the nature is very beautifull

at the moment. A nice fish at the lake of Payao does the rest ...

I love Nan and I respect the foreigners that live there very much. So please don't go there 555!

Limbo :yohan:

A detail of the boat of our good friend there:

post-6305-0-86226600-1319547955_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

For those among us that take an interest in art and history Nan is absolutely a place to visit.

It was the capital of a great kingdom extending far north of the Mekong River. The now Thai

After the proven unwillingness of the Siamese to add their country to French Indochina

(a result of the Paknam incident of 1893, to a certain degree neutralized by the subsequent

negotiating under the guidance of the Belgian-Thai Prince Chao Phrya Abhai Raja Siammanukulkij,

who's name we all know of the foundation that created the hilltribe football stadium in Maechan)

the king of Nan saved his neck but lost in the process all territory north of the Mekong and was

As long as the last king of Nan lived king Rama V (the great King Chulalongkorn) respected his

autonomy but after he passed away (1912?) the former vassal state officially became part of Siam.

As Svenivan pointed out: the museum is one of the best in northern Thailand (located in the

former administrative centre of Nan, also referred to as the palace of its last king.

It's a building comparable to that in Phrae and our own Sala Klang Kao at the Singaklaj Road.

There are several temples that are absolutely worth a visit, with the Wat Puminn of course

in first place. This old restored temple is especially famous for its murals, correctly dated

probably the fourth quarter of the nineteenth century with reference to earlier dates.

Among several Chiangrai foreigners Nan Fc became a club they support. The home games of Nan Fc

became therefore a special reason to visit this lovely town for them. Others liked to visit the boat

races, especially Dutch residents of Chiang Rai, as one of their fellow country man has a

Those from Chiangrai that visit Nan on a regular base choose Ngao to the T-crossing where you

go right to Phrae and left to Nan. It is about thirty kilometers more, but almost two hours less.

During this season it is nice however to take the Pong route back as the nature is very beautifull

I love Nan and I respect the foreigners that live there very much. So please don't go there 555!

Not less than 130 boats registered this time. Finals will be tomorrow, Sunday 6 November.

The best teams from all over Thailand. Cheer Keng Rua Nan thus!

post-6305-0-95427500-1320451514_thumb.jp

Not less than 130 boats registered this time. Finals will be tomorrow, Sunday 6 November.

The best teams from all over Thailand. Cheer Keng Rua Nan thus!

post-6305-0-95427500-1320451514_thumb.jp

Just a follow up:

Dutch Ton's team, Ban Nam Lom, participated with a small boat.

This year 87 of 131 participating boats were of this category.

A small boat has only 30 rowers.

The competition was extremely strong this time and Ton's team,

last year earning a proud second position, ended fifth.

One would say that rowing is not really popular among foreigners

living in Thailand, as among the approximately 4500 rowers that

came to Nan for these races only one had done the merits to receive

the honor to join them.

It's a pity that there are no teams in Chiang Rai, because I'm sure

that there would be more in that case.

I think I speak on behalf of most of us, when I congratulate Ton

with the honor of participation in the event and on top of that

with winning a very honorable fifth prize.

Before the race there is a short moment of collective concentration.

post-6305-0-35519400-1320975786_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...