The Fate Of Nana Plaza

jamstock

A lot of these rumors always float around, and no one knows for sure. But having said that, it does happen all the time, the final closing down of the last remnants this month of bars in Washington Square are testament to that. Nothing lasts forever, good or bad

Oz

A lot of these rumors always float around, and no one knows for sure. But having said that, it does happen all the time, the final closing down of the last remnants this month of bars in Washington Square are testament to that. Nothing lasts forever, good or bad

Oz

You read, rather believe too much Slickman. Washington Square has been closing for several years.

The bars that remain, especially the Sportsman have 6 months leases, and those will probably end up being renewed.

Bourbon Street is indeed moving to its new location in Ekamai but that won't be next month either.

Stuckman has been predicting NEP closure for 10 years. Eventually like a stopped watch he will be right once or twice.

That should be one of the questions on the New to Thailand test, how many exits from Nana are there really, only seasoned expats would know the real answer - BTW, I say there are at least four!

Maybe we frequent different bars !!!....there are a few I have never been in.

Won't be sad to see it go. Entire lower suhkumvit needs to be cleaned up.

Yes, let's "Clean it Up"

More litter bins, more starbucks, mcdonalds, kfc's and tesco lotus's.

Stop all the touting, soliciting and wheeler dealing.

Lets remove all the different characters and individuality in BKK

Lets turn it into a sterilised corporate faceless capital city.

bah.gif

I don't need more KFC or McDonalds, but it'd be nice if they got rid of some of the Cambodian beggars, African drug dealers, ladyboy pickpockets, and Thai and Russian streetwalkers loitering everywhere. I'd hate to be a female office worker that has to wait at that bus stop at night surrounded by hookers negotiating gang bangs with Arab dudes. And yes what's wrong with putting some more litter bins around?

Silom has gogo bars too and isn't nearly as much of a slum as lower suhkumvit is these days.

Oz

You read, rather believe too much Slickman. Washington Square has been closing for several years.

The bars that remain, especially the Sportsman have 6 months leases, and those will probably end up being renewed.

Bourbon Street is indeed moving to its new location in Ekamai but that won't be next month either.

Stuckman has been predicting NEP closure for 10 years. Eventually like a stopped watch he will be right once or twice.

Bourban Street Closing DownFor 25 years now, Bourban Street in Washington Square has been providing great food and drink to customers from all over. With the closure of Washington Square soon, Bourban Street is closing down. To mark the occasion, they are holding a buffet on the 17th and 18th of September. 345 Baht (plus tax, etc lol), but 50 menu items to choose from and all you can eat.

from the horse's mouth.....nuf sed?

Oz

Oz

Bourban Street Closing DownFor 25 years now, Bourban Street in Washington Square has been providing great food and drink to customers from all over. With the closure of Washington Square soon, Bourban Street is closing down. To mark the occasion, they are holding a buffet on the 17th and 18th of September. 345 Baht (plus tax, etc lol), but 50 menu items to choose from and all you can eat.

Oz

For the more intelligent folks (which is of course everyone else that can read) "Oz" brilliantly posted an extract from an advert about an anniversary party for the eventual closing of Bourbon Street. Anyone with a passing tourist knowledge of Ekamai and a 6 year old's understanding of construction can see that the new place in Ekamai is far from being ready.

Have you ever even been to Washington Square "Oz"? Other than the web that is?

As far as the other bars still open ... Yes most have 6 month leases which is the norm these days in Washington Square. But then someone that has not gone there would not know that and instead posts BS like they are closing next month.

Practice your google "Oz" Most get better over time.

Yes, let's "Clean it Up"

More litter bins, more starbucks, mcdonalds, kfc's and tesco lotus's.

Stop all the touting, soliciting and wheeler dealing.

Lets remove all the different characters and individuality in BKK

Lets turn it into a sterilised corporate faceless capital city.

bah.gif

In Cambodia the Khmer Rouge tried to do that sans KFC, Starbucks, Tescos or McDonald's.

That will make the Politburo very happy.

The last time i went past soi Nana Plaza there were the regulation 60 -70 year old falung sucking on Chang beer with their pee-noi's in the front bar.

Across the street at The Golden (Palm?Buddha?Dome? I forget), anyway the bar actually on the street from The Nana Hotel, has got to be one of the best freak watching locations on the planet. Better than TV, I can sit there for hours, drink and laugh my arse off people watching there.

The rest of the old men go across the street to Strikers and watch you. You're probably featured in more than one YouTube video clip.

You mean that pretentious sports bar that shows boring footy? I can understand why they would watch me instead..........

footy has got to be one of the most boring sports to watch outside Curling, now wait, i would rather watch Curling - Footy, what a waste of time!!!

Oz

Oz

For the more intelligent folks (which is of course everyone else that can read) "Oz" brilliantly posted an extract from an advert about an anniversary party for the eventual closing of Bourbon Street. Anyone with a passing tourist knowledge of Ekamai and a 6 year old's understanding of construction can see that the new place in Ekamai is far from being ready.

Have you ever even been to Washington Square "Oz"? Other than the web that is?

As far as the other bars still open ... Yes most have 6 month leases which is the norm these days in Washington Square. But then someone that has not gone there would not know that and instead posts BS like they are closing next month.

Practice your google "Oz" Most get better over time.

Not much left there, Silver dollar and 3 or 4 others. More have closed than are now open. Bourbon st was supose to move Jan then Apr now Oct . Since he has announced his farewell it seems it will be gone. A 6 month lease is temp and a bad way to run a buisness. that alone indicates the end is near.

Not much left there, Silver dollar and 3 or 4 others. More have closed than are now open. Bourbon st was supose to move Jan then Apr now Oct . Since he has announced his farewell it seems it will be gone. A 6 month lease is temp and a bad way to run a buisness. that alone indicates the end is near.

Lone Staar, Wild Country and maybe a couple of others have closed recently. There are far more still open than closed unless you are counting those crap massage places which never seemed to have customers any way.

Those that remain will be there into next year for certain and they are certainly not closing next month. It is much more likely they will remain there much longer than that ... on continual short term lease extensions. NEP won't be much different. Eventually Bourbon Street will move to its new location but judging from construction as of yesterday it won't be next month, and is unlikely to be in October. The new BS might be open in time for the annual Christmas brunch.

hmmmmm Yingluck was talking about cleaning up Bangkok's image, maybe they sold it to the Shinawatra family to pose as the saviors of thai society.

Wouldn't this be ironic? The redshirts "win" the election and then the party proceeds throw out the thousands of Issan girls working in Nana. No more new homes, cars & buffaloes for the

family..ha ha !!! :lol:

The irony of it all! The Nana Cultural Centre I like to call it. Definitely a cultural icon - for better or for worse.

I was there last week-end and spent many happy hrs in a number of bars in the plaza. I for one hope NEP stays around for a few years: it is nowhere near as black as it is painted: African drug dealers ???

Places like SC do not have the 'variety' of bars that NEP offers :rolleyes: , plus few, if any, day-time drinking haunts.

And for my money, Strikers, Hillary II and Golden Bar are OK, I didn't fancy Q4 or Stumble Inn, the best place to drink during the day is still Morning-Night - 60 baht a drink all day plus still the best looking set of girls in Soi 4 :D

Simon

Sukhumvit is still fun. Pat Pong is what needs to go.

+1

Someone suggested knocking it down and building a hotel.. Without NEP, the existing hotels in the area will be about 10% full at teh best of times.

I was there last week-end and spent many happy hrs in a number of bars in the plaza. I for one hope NEP stays around for a few years: it is nowhere near as black as it is painted: African drug dealers ???

Places like SC do not have the 'variety' of bars that NEP offers :rolleyes: , plus few, if any, day-time drinking haunts.

And for my money, Strikers, Hillary II and Golden Bar are OK, I didn't fancy Q4 or Stumble Inn, the best place to drink during the day is still Morning-Night - 60 baht a drink all day plus still the best looking set of girls in Soi 4 :D

Simon

I like soi 4. I would block it off to traffic at night and send the taxis etc down soi 2 (except to the Nana Hotel) and open even more bars etc. I do think NEP needs a bit of a revamp though and generally prefer Cowboy.

Someone above mentioned that there are 4 exits from NEP.

I can think of 3:

[1] Main alley between Big Dogs and Lucky Lukes.

[2] Door behind the ground floor escalator into Strikers.

[3] Door from Morning Night into the area around the GF salon.

Anyone know where the 4th exit is ?

Simon

Geeez....supposed to be a secret....do you want the secret exits crammed packed with drunks when that fire breaks out ??

There are 2 more by the way......I did not know the one behind the escalators....I dont frequent that sordid alley way.

I was not including the main obvious in and out entry in my 3 mentioned.

Edited by Dag

hmmmmm Yingluck was talking about cleaning up Bangkok's image, maybe they sold it to the Shinawatra family to pose as the saviors of thai society.

Wouldn't this be ironic? The redshirts "win" the election and then the party proceeds throw out the thousands of Issan girls working in Nana. No more new homes, cars & buffaloes for the

family..ha ha !!! :lol:

The irony of it all! The Nana Cultural Centre I like to call it. Definitely a cultural icon - for better or for worse.

That deserves to catch on! :lol:

It doesn't matter what your reasons for being in Bangkok, if you can't see that nowadays Nana is a complete hole, you need to get some fresh air! The place needs some serious cleaning up, whatever is built there.

I say NANA PLAZA STAYS!

replace it with what?? another hotel, there are enough hotels in the nana area and having 'sleazy' Nana P. around only seems to take their reservations to full employment.

More starbucks,mcds? no way there are already so many of them in that area that one of the SBs closed and good ridence to corporate bad food

'SportsBars' ? there's already enough of them in the area

atleast NanaPlaze is enclosed so walking pedestrians can simply stay clear of it..if they close it all the bars inside will simply popup all over the entire nana-asoke area.. if it's becoming run-down then they should just renovate inside but BKK is still a city where de-criminalized prostitution exists and targeting a single red-lite district will not end that, and we don't want this place becoming as boring as the USA do we?

I can think of 3:

Simon

You have to look all the way in the back for the answer, if you've stayed in the old Dynasty "back" building you may spotted it, NEP and Landmark make for strange bedfellows. :thumbsup:

I can think of 3:

Simon

You have to look all the way in the back for the answer, if you've stayed in the old Dynasty "back" building you may spotted it, NEP and Landmark make for strange bedfellows. :thumbsup:

Hmmmm the plot thickens :blink:

I have stayed in the annex at the rear of the Dynasty hotel but wasn't aware that there was a short-cut to NEP

I assume this door is on the Ground floor, but being fairly familiar with Obsessions (B) ), the Rainbow bar in the corner and I think its Voodo on the LHS, I cannot for the life of me think where a door could be ??

Do you need to go through a cupboard to find it ?

I'll be there tomorrow evening so I'll have a mooch around :rolleyes:

Simon

Geeez....supposed to be a secret....do you want the secret exits crammed packed with drunks when that fire breaks out ??

There are 2 more by the way......I did not know the one behind the escalators....I dont frequent that sordid alley way.

I was not including the main obvious in and out entry in my 3 mentioned.

must be difficult to uphold such high standards

I can think of 3:

Simon

Hmmmm the plot thickens :blink:

I have stayed in the annex at the rear of the Dynasty hotel but wasn't aware that there was a short-cut to NEP

I assume this door is on the Ground floor, but being fairly familiar with Obsessions (B) ), the Rainbow bar in the corner and I think its Voodo on the LHS, I cannot for the life of me think where a door could be ??

Do you need to go through a cupboard to find it ?

I'll be there tomorrow evening so I'll have a mooch around :rolleyes:

Simon

No there's no cupboard door involved and to be clear, there's no short cut from Dynasty to NEP that I know of. But there is a door from G-Spot that leads to the outside, it's in the back and leads down a flight of metal stairs to what I think is an area owned by the Landmark - my suspicion is that the others bars in the back may have similar. Of course such things are of little use to most people in the event of a fire although it might help workers and patrons in individual bars.

No there's no cupboard door involved and to be clear, there's no short cut from Dynasty to NEP that I know of. But there is a door from G-Spot that leads to the outside, it's in the back and leads down a flight of metal stairs to what I think is an area owned by the Landmark - my suspicion is that the others bars in the back may have similar. Of course such things are of little use to most people in the event of a fire although it might help workers and patrons in individual bars.

It also might take some explaining on any news channel in the event of a fire:

Reporter to singed falang:"How did you escape the inferno sir ?"

Falang: "via the rear door in G-Spot"

Edited by londoedan