Anybody Seen Welch'S Grape Juice In Los?

Lopburi99

Hi,

I was surprised to discover the Lopburi Big C does not offer anything similar to this dark-purple Concord grape juice in any brand. Since this juice is touted in the U.S. to be so highly heart/vascular friendly I thought (hoped) I could find something like it somewhere here.

Seen any anywhere?

Thanks.

post-58274-0-51984800-1314456385_thumb.j

Edited by Lopburi99

I don't know if you have Rimping stores in your area or not but Welches grape juice is sold in the Chiang Mai Rimpings, bit expensive.

Thank you Paul! We will contact the Chiang Mai Rimpings to see if they would consider sending to us 3-4 containers by post.

I believe I've seen it in Tops Supermarket also. An alternative that is quite good is TIPCO brand juices. Tesco Lotus carries it. Never tried Malee but is another option.

I don't know if we have a Tops store here but will check. I've seen TIPCO juices at Big C but could not find the dark purple Concord which seems to be the one that has whatever the heart likes. Will look again at Tesco.

Thank you!

Hello All, this is from The Mall Korat, Welch's has been

for sale at 2 other stores here for 10+ years.

Not cheap, but a nice treat every now and then to wash

the taste of malee/tipco of my usually shrinking food

budjet. Thats prune juice on the lower shelf.

rice555

post-37242-0-90517600-1315317503_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

rice555

Thanks rice. Good to know Korat has the complete selection. But I'll be darned if I didn't find quart sizes of Welch's Concord Grape juice here in Lopburi's Big C after all. I had been looking for it in the juices section where Tipco and the others brands are, but I happened across it in the imported juices (like V8) in a completely different area of the store. Bought a quart and ahhh, it is sooo good! biggrin.gif Pricey, yes, 84 baht for quart (16 oz). I'll keep looking for it in the 64 oz size which may be a little less on a per oz basis. Saraburi isn't far and it may be available there in the large jars somewhere....

Edited by Lopburi99

rice555

Thanks rice. Good to know Korat has the complete selection. But I'll be darned if I didn't find quart sizes of Welch's Concord Grape juice here in Lopburi's Big C after all. I had been looking for it in the juices section where Tipco and the others brands are, but I happened across it in the imported juices (like V8) in a completely different area of the store. Bought a quart and ahhh, it is sooo good! biggrin.gif Pricey, yes, 84 baht for quart (16 oz). I'll keep looking for it in the 64 oz size which may be a little less on a per oz basis. Saraburi isn't far and it may be available there in the large jars somewhere....

Glad you found the juice,but I would not hold my breath that it would be cheaper on a per oz basis if you were able to find the larger bottles.:D

• 1 month later...

I don't buy too many processed foods, but this is one of them that I do buy. I have loved it since I was a kid, and except for maybe the brand that labels everything "Just---" ("JustGrape," "JustPeach," etc.) Welch's is the best.

The 64 ounce bottle typically goes for 235 or so at Tops.

• Like 1

I don't buy too many processed foods, but this is one of them that I do buy. I have loved it since I was a kid, and except for maybe the brand that labels everything "Just---" ("JustGrape," "JustPeach," etc.) Welch's is the best.

That is a good price compared to 84 baht/16 oz = 336 baht. I assume you are speaking of a Tops in BKK.

That is a good price compared to 84 baht/16 oz = 336 baht. I assume you are speaking of a Tops in BKK.

Yes, but I just realized that that price was at Fresh Mart, not Tops. I forgot what the price was at Tops. But yes, in Bangkok.

• 3 months later...

Update: To my surprise we found a Top's store in the Robinson's Mall in Chanthaburi. We went inside, looked around, and voila! Big bottles, plenty of them! Small bottles too. Now I am hoping this source doesn't dry up like my previous ones have. Oh, price: 215฿. A happy camper am I. clap2.gif

tipco and malee juices are horrible and a trick on falangs seeking juice refreshment...that 'pulp' that they trumpet is normally discarded during the processing and is horrible tasting like having phlegm in your fruit juice...

the arabs have got the best packaged fruit juice in the world...and, poor old Vietnam weighs in heavily with their Vinafresh juices; excellent for mixing with Vodka Hanoi and 12 ounces of the tomato juice and 2 cups of strong nescafe with milk in the morning makes the world go 'round in provincial Vietnam...

tipco and malee juices are horrible and a trick on falangs seeking juice refreshment...that 'pulp' that they trumpet is normally discarded during the processing and is horrible tasting like having phlegm in your fruit juice...

the arabs have got the best packaged fruit juice in the world...and, poor old Vietnam weighs in heavily with their Vinafresh juices; excellent for mixing with Vodka Hanoi and 12 ounces of the tomato juice and 2 cups of strong nescafe with milk in the morning makes the world go 'round in provincial Vietnam...

I am not familiar with their packaged juice, but the Arabs certainly might be the best in fresh juice. When walking around an Arab city, I rarely make it without sampling at least 3 or 4 juice stands.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't tried the Welch variety, as I imagined it tasted like the sickly local rubbish. No need to name the brands, as they are all terrible. Possibly the best of them is the Malee chilled variety as it has no added sugar, but I still can't stomach it.

Next, up are the CERES brand juices and the best of the bunch available here is the STUTE grape juice, but it's relatively pricey.

I import grape juice for my own consumption. Containing only the naturally occuring fruit sugars and the grapes to which I am accustomed.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Haven't tried the Welch variety, as I imagined it tasted like the sickly local rubbish. No need to name the brands, as they are all terrible. Possibly the best of them is the Malee chilled variety as it has no added sugar, but I still can't stomach it.

Next, up are the CERES brand juices and the best of the bunch available here is the STUTE grape juice, but it's relatively pricey.

I import grape juice for my own consumption. Containing only the naturally occuring fruit sugars and the grapes to which I am accustomed.

ye gotta watch the Ceres brand packaged juices and check the label...many times sugar is added...Lahnor and KDD brand from the ME are superior when you can find them, also look for Vinafresh from Vietnam; their tomato juice is heavenly...

That's certainly a personal preference I don't happen to share. Personally I like the pulp in fruit juices and it is also a good source of fiber in your diet.. My favorite Tipco juice is the aloe grape combination actually which has aloe pulp and I mix it with a their spinach mixed fruit combo for a nice blend of juices and vitamins with pulp included..

Clearly based on their popularity you're in the minority based on how much they sell as they were virtually nonexistent when the floods came due in part to their processing facilities being flooded out and stocks running out but also due to the brands popularity as if not, the product would still have been on sitting on the shelves..

That's certainly a personal preference I don't happen to share. Personally I like the pulp in fruit juices and it is also a good source of fiber in your diet.. My favorite Tipco juice is the aloe grape combination actually which has aloe pulp and I mix it with a their spinach mixed fruit combo for a nice blend of juices and vitamins with pulp included..

Clearly based on their popularity you're in the minority based on how much they sell as they were virtually nonexistent when the floods came due in part to their processing facilities being flooded out and stocks running out but also due to the brands popularity as if not, the product would still have been on sitting on the shelves..

yeah...my dislike of tipco juices is a personal dislike as tipco comes in as the least desireable of packaged juices that I've tried...and I doubt that the fiber content of the 'pulp' would make any difference to yer diet unless you drank a carton of the stuff every day...

but I'll try your suggestion regarding the mixture of vegetable and fruit juices (using a strainer of course) as it sounds like an interesting combination...

regarding beverage sales during the floods, they ran outta coke as well, bottled water and etc...folks probably used the empty beverage containers to float their heids above water...

yeah...my dislike of tipco juices is a personal dislike as tipco comes in as the least desireable of packaged juices that I've tried...and I doubt that the fiber content of the 'pulp' would make any difference to yer diet unless you drank a carton of the stuff every day...

but I'll try your suggestion regarding the mixture of vegetable and fruit juices (using a strainer of course) as it sounds like an interesting combination...

regarding beverage sales during the floods, they ran outta coke as well, bottled water and etc...folks probably used the empty beverage containers to float their heids above water...

Yeah but there were many other juice brands available but not Tipco the floods moved me all over Bangkok searching that and other products so I know from broad personal experience.. JFYI their spinach blend already has fruit juice in it but I add the other with some green/peach tea as well..

That's not true about the fiber content either, it does provide good fiber but is still not intended to be the soul source as always it is taken with other fiber sources during the day so you don't have to take in an entire container a day as you mention..

ye gotta watch the Ceres brand packaged juices and check the label...many times sugar is added...Lahnor and KDD brand from the ME are superior when you can find them, also look for Vinafresh from Vietnam; their tomato juice is heavenly...

Just checked the CERES Fruit Medey in my 'fridge'. No added sugar. You don't need to check the label. If it doesn't have a 'No Added Sugar' icon somewhere on the box, it means that sugar has been added.

Checked out the Welchs Grape Juice. As I expected it is made from concentrate. Yuk! Won't touch that rubbish.

Try TOPS in Central Festival. They do a small bottle of freshly squeezed for 35 baht and compare it to that reconstituted rubbish. You'll need to dilute the freshly squeezed stuff anyway, as it's naturally very sweet. Juices that sweet cannot rehydrate you unless the concentration of sugars is lessened.

For this reason I dilute my grape juice 50/50. But I would avoid the cheap and nasty concentrated drink. I refuse to call that stuff 'juice'.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

I always mix packaged fruit juice with soda for a bit of fizz...except for tomato and V8 vegetable juice...fruit juices are naturally sweet but that's not enough for some consumers...some of the Ceres juices that I useta get in the ME had added sugar, usually the ones that were a mixture....

most packaged juices are made from concentrate and are pasturised...just somethin' that ye gotta put up with unless ye squeeze yer own...

now, I was gonna buy a juicer...etc, etc...however; 'whatcha got there pardner?'...'broccoli juice...'...(Wilson shifts and hitches up his gunbelt and then sez softly and with menace)...' and what's wrong with orange juice?...'...(a variation on the bar scene from the classic western film 'Shane'...)

http://movieclips.com/MnCP4-shane-movie-low-down-yankee-liar/

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 8 months later...

Maybe I've been here too long, but most Tipco juices taste pretty good to me. I am less impressed with Malee.

I agree with U, malee just didn't seem right for whatever reason. The Ceres brand I didn't care for either, however I only tried it once. I usually pause and look longingly at the Welch's Grape and Langers Cranberry juice, before sighing and heading over to the tipco aisle like a commoner.