Poll Says Government Policies Are Unraveling

Lite Beer

Poll: Government policies are unraveling

BANGKOK, 28 August 2011 (NNT)- According to Suan Dusit Poll, a predominant group of Thais have been following the hot debates between the Pheu Thai government and the opposition Democrat. The Polls states that the true colors of Pheu Thai policies are beginning to unravel as uncertainty and doubts linger among the public.

Up to 42% of the respondents feel that the 300 baht minimum wage adjustment is unsettling. The policy will directly send repercussions to investors which may affect the local workforce. Companies may seek for expatriate instead. Only 16% are confident that the government will deliver as promised and will wait for the policy implementation.

More than 44% of the respondents are pessimistic with the ‘15000-salary-for- new graduates’ policy and feel that organizations will suffer greater burden once the policy is implemented. The respondents pointed out that the current economic climate should only lead to the downsizing of any industry and that the increase of salary rate would not help the cost saving measures. Only 15% are optimistic about the policy.

As for the ‘Tablet for Students’ scheme, 38% feels troubled due to its excessive nature. Problems of maintenance and care for the tablets should emerge as with any technological intervention. As a result, a large amount of government funds may be spent excessively in order to maintain such program. Only 10% feel confident that the tablet scheme should be of benefit to students and feel that technological assistance should provoke great interest for learning.

As for the problematic inflated prices of agricultural produce, 37% of the respondents are not confident that the government could solve this issue. They feel that inflation is a by-product of any economy and that controlling produce prices would tackle the root of the problem. Alternatively, only 12% feel that the government is capable of handling the situation and could reduce public expenditure as part of the policy.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-08-28 footer_n.gif

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK, 28 August 2011 (NNT)- According to Suan Dusit Poll, a predominant group of Thais have been following the hot debates between the Pheu Thai government and the opposition Democrat. The Polls states that the true colors of Pheu Thai policies are beginning to unravel as uncertainty and doubts linger among the public

Just what do they mean by "....a predominant group of Thais...?" Is this a specific group that has certain political beliefs/loyalty or did the article really mean to say "...a majority of Thais..." If it was indeed some predominant group then their views may be slanted. Sure hope it wasn't just a group of academics. If it was just another limited sample size poll of around 1000 people probably in the Bangkok and vicinity which the Suan Dusit Poll usually does, then I don't think you can say that is reflective of all Thais/the country as a whole. I'm not pro-Pheu Thai or anti-Pheu Thai, but IMHO, this article/poll is missing a lot of key facts such as the poll sample size, type of people sampled, area(s) of the country sampled, etc.

BANGKOK, 28 August 2011 (NNT)- According to Suan Dusit Poll, a predominant group of Thais have been following the hot debates between the Pheu Thai government and the opposition Democrat. The Polls states that the true colors of Pheu Thai policies are beginning to unravel as uncertainty and doubts linger among the public

Just what do they mean by "....a predominant group of Thais...?" Is this a specific group that has certain political beliefs/loyalty or did the article really mean to say "...a majority of Thais..." If it was indeed some predominant group then their views may be slanted. Sure hope it wasn't just a group of academics. If it was just another limited sample size poll of around 1000 people probably in the Bangkok and vicinity which the Suan Dusit Poll usually does, then I don't think you can say that is reflective of all Thais/the country as a whole. I'm not pro-Pheu Thai or anti-Pheu Thai, but IMHO, this article/poll is missing a lot of key facts such as the poll sample size, type of people sampled, area(s) of the country sampled, etc.

Are you saying they seem to be too smart to be country folks?

Nope, just saying IMHO, this article/poll is missing a lot of key facts such as the poll sample size, type of people sampled, area(s) of the country sampled, etc.

Nope, just saying IMHO, this article/poll is missing a lot of key facts such as the poll sample size, type of people sampled, area(s) of the country sampled, etc.

Those details are there in the Thai version: http://dusitpoll.dusit.ac.th/polldata/2554/25541314498519.pdf

They polled 1,352 people between August 25 to 27. The details just don't make it into the English-language news.

Edited by metisdead
Thai text removed. this is the English language part of the forum.

http://www.siamdailynews.com/politics-news/2011/08/26/poll-people-satisfied-with-govt's-policy-statement/

another poll shows that thai people are satisfied with the gov't policy statement.

could have missed it, but didn't see that one mentioned by The Nation nor posted on TVF

you're welcome bucholtz

You are being disingenuous again. That poll was of the presentation and argument re policies, and had nothing to do with the content. I clearly remember making a post to that effect.

http://www.siamdailynews.com/politics-news/2011/08/26/poll-people-satisfied-with-govt’s-policy-statement/

another poll shows that thai people are satisfied with the gov't policy statement.

could have missed it, but didn't see that one mentioned by The Nation nor posted on TVF

you're welcome bucholtz

It's Buchholz and your efforts are commendable, BUT...

Previously posted as the OP of an entire thread two days ago:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=493268&view=findpost&p=4650821

so any discussion of it should be in that thread.

It was also as a daily news bulletin post

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=493268&view=findpost&p=4650821

Still, it's a good start to what we've discussed.

http://www.siamdailynews.com/politics-news/2011/08/26/poll-people-satisfied-with-govt's-policy-statement/

you're welcome bucholtz

It's Buchholz and your efforts are commendable, BUT...

Previously posted as the OP of an entire thread two days ago:

http://www.thaivisa....dpost&p=4650821

so any discussion of it should be in that thread.

It was also as a daily news bulletin post

http://www.thaivisa....dpost&p=4650821

Still, it's a good start to what we've discussed.

sorry Buchholtz - saw the typ-o later...

re: article - yep, missed that one. ;-)

Those details are there in the Thai version: http://dusitpoll.dus...41314498519.pdf

They polled 1,352 people between August 25 to 27. The details just don't make it into the English-language news.

Thanks. It does translate into a survey of 1,362 people throughout the country versus just the Bangkok area. I hate the polls that try to represent the opinions of the entire country by contacting only people in the Bangkok area. But I will have to say, the survey results sure go against what my most of my in-laws, Thai friends, and my Thai wife have been saying....most of them in the provinces or grew up in the provinces. So, far they are still pleased with the early/first stage of the Pheu Thai implementation of their election promises now materializing into govt policies. But how they feel after and when all the promises/policies are implemented may be a different story.

The general view from abroad is that Thailand is embarking on a collision course with a perfect economic storm. Of course no one can predict these things for sure and most likely most of PTs measures won't actually be implemented so there is hope yet.

The article was disturbinbing in it's entirety, but IMO the most disturbing part was this:

Up to 42% of the respondents feel that the 300 baht minimum wage adjustment is unsettling. The policy will directly send repercussions to investors which may affect the local workforce. Companies may seek for expatriate instead.

It would seem to speak volumes as to how highly Thais regard themselves.

The general view from abroad is that Thailand is embarking on a collision course with a perfect economic storm. Of course no one can predict these things for sure and most likely most of PTs measures won't actually be implemented so there is hope yet.

PT never had any economic strategy. The gimmick proposals were just there to get Thaksin back. The minimum wage wriggle was always going to happen and was a lie from the start. Minimum wage hike to be put in for the North Eastern landowners? Never. Neither will the PT implement class policies. Its all for show. The sad forum cheerleaders either don't understand or don't care as the number 1 objective is restoring Thaksin to his high chair.

• Like 1

The article was disturbinbing in it's entirety, but IMO the most disturbing part was this:

Up to 42% of the respondents feel that the 300 baht minimum wage adjustment is unsettling. The policy will directly send repercussions to investors which may affect the local workforce. Companies may seek for expatriate instead.

There's an article in today's Bangkok Post that says the Finance Minister stated the govt has no authority to force the private sector to increase the minimum wage to 300 baht; however, the govt will enforce the new rate for govt workers....and the govt will then ask the state enterprises and companies listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand to also provide a minimum wage of 300 baht. So, for now, it looks like some lower paid govt workers will be getting a raise while lower paid private sector workers may not. That's sure going to make a lot of folks mad; but I expect the govt will come up with means of making it happen in the private sector also.

Edited by Pib

There's an article in today's Bangkok Post that says the Finance Minister stated the govt has no authority to force the private sector to increase the minimum wage to 300 baht; however, the govt will enforce the new rate for govt workers....and the govt will then ask the state enterprises and companies listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand to also provide a minimum wage of 300 baht. So, for now, it looks like some lower paid govt workers will be getting a raise while lower paid private sector workers may not. That's sure going to make a lot of folks mad; but I expect the govt will come up with means of making it happen in the private sector also.

I hope you're right, I just wish the govt. doesn't come up with a scheme to subsidize employers to meet the 300 Bt wage. That would be incredibly graft prone.

Considering the vast majority of Thaksin's supporters are poorly paid private sector workers it will be the government's interest to pass a minimum wage law a.s.a.p and before there's another election on the horizon... or coup.

Edited by kraplung

"...the Finance Minister stated the govt has no authority to force the private sector to increase the minimum wage to 300 baht"

I'm amazed. So, for the existing minimum wages throughout the country, what person/agency/government "forced" the private sector to pay the existing minimum wages?

Sounds like a prevarication of that commodity known as the truth.

If the government has no authority to do this, which I wouldn't accept by-the-way, then why did they promise pre-election that they would do it ? Was it merely a very-serious mistake, or a blatant lie, I wonder ? <_<

It's just not good enough, to break a key election-promise, and then try to put the blame on the rich company-owners, rather than themselves. Perhaps they might with-hold the planned-cut in corporate-tax, until industry complies with the government's instructions (when given), for an immediate universal 300B/day minimum-wage.

As stated the Govt cannot force the private sector to adopt the MW ,so if many private sector employers just say they cannot afford the increase ,due to competition from other Countries who are already selling their products cheaper than the Thai Company's are selling theirs ,just what can the Govt do?, the answer is quite plain ,nothing at all.

Finance Ministry: Govt Can't Force Private Sector to Raise Minimum Wage

The Finance Ministry insists the government has no authority to force the private sector to adjust minimum wages.

Finance Minister Teerachai Phuvanatnaranubala reaffirmed that the government has no authority to force the private sector to abide by the government's policy to increase daily minimum wage to 300 baht and to adjust new-graduate's starting salary to 15,000 thousand baht per month.

However, he said the pilot project would be implemented with the state sector and then state-enterprises.

The ministry will ask for cooperation from listed companies on the stock exchange to alter their wages.

Currently, the ministry is rushing to draft details of the project to present to the Cabinet for approval.

Meanwhile, he declined to express his opinion regarding criticism against the Pheu Thai Party, that the party cannot fulfill its promise given during the election campaign of a guaranteed 300 baht daily minimum wage.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-08-30

Does that mean that the private sector doesn't have to pay the current minimum wages either?

Finance Ministry: Govt Can't Force Private Sector to Raise Minimum Wage

The Finance Ministry insists the government has no authority to force the private sector to adjust minimum wages.

Finance Minister Teerachai Phuvanatnaranubala reaffirmed that the government has no authority to force the private sector to abide by the government's policy to increase daily minimum wage to 300 baht and to adjust new-graduate's starting salary to 15,000 thousand baht per month.

However, he said the pilot project would be implemented with the state sector and then state-enterprises.

The ministry will ask for cooperation from listed companies on the stock exchange to alter their wages.

Currently, the ministry is rushing to draft details of the project to present to the Cabinet for approval.

Meanwhile, he declined to express his opinion regarding criticism against the Pheu Thai Party, that the party cannot fulfill its promise given during the election campaign of a guaranteed 300 baht daily minimum wage.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-08-30

Does that mean that the private sector doesn't have to pay the current minimum wages either?

Of course the government can force them. A legal minimum wage is a legal minimum and must be paid even to non-Thai workers

He is hoping to get companies to do so without such things. A few have already announced they are going to 300 baht. I cant see all companies agreeing to it without coercion however. Then again why the corporate tax cut without. They could at least link it so the tax cut goes to companies with a 300 baht minimum and not to those that dont. It will be interesting to see how this goes as PTP need to keep those at the bottom satisfied. Maybe someone above Teerachai will force the issue assuming that he has been quoted correctly

Of course the government can force them. A legal minimum wage is a legal minimum and must be paid even to non-Thai workers

He is hoping to get companies to do so without such things. A few have already announced they are going to 300 baht. I cant see all companies agreeing to it without coercion however. Then again why the corporate tax cut without. They could at least link it so the tax cut goes to companies with a 300 baht minimum and not to those that dont. It will be interesting to see how this goes as PTP need to keep those at the bottom satisfied. Maybe someone above Teerachai will force the issue assuming that he has been quoted correctly

I just see it as a way for the PTP to blame "the rich and elite" business people for not putting up wages.

I just see it as a way for the PTP to blame "the rich and elite" business people for not putting up wages.

Maybe true for some of the reds but many PTP are also big business owners. The class war thing if pushed further is going to cause problems for a lot of the wealthy PTP. The reds from the traditional PTP perspective need controlling as much as letting run free. Then again maybe that is a Thaksin thing. He will be left as the only one who can control them and if that happens everyone up top will want him back