Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta, Proton Neo

naboo

I'm looking at buying one of the following three cars:

• Ford Fiesta 1.4 Style Manual
  • Mazda 2 HB 1.5 S Manual
  • Proton Neo 1.6L Manual

I'm not interested in general perspectives of the brands (eg. Don't buy a Proton, they're ****) but specific positives and negatives. If owners of the above cars could think of a couple of positives and a couple of negatives and post below I'd be grateful. I've searched for opinions, but most of the threads seem to have been hijacked by 2 or 3 people and I've not found a broad perspective of opinions yet. Thanks in advance.

I bought a Mazda 2 aprox one month ago and have no regrets, the manual gear box is very sweet and handling superb very much a fun drive, reminds me of the original mazda MX5 mialto. If you search out Mazda 2 reviews you get pretty much the same opinion with regard to sporty handling etc.

I have done a couple of thousand KM now and seem to get about 450 km per 1000 bht e20 mixed driving outskirts of BKK, we took it from BKK to sattahip this weekend with 4 people on board no issues cruises at 120 km very well.

This is the type of deal you should expect from my purchase thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/487869-mazda-2-purchase/page__p__4603962__hl__mazda+2__fromsearch__1#entry4603962

The Fiesta is a good car but I would avoid the 1.4 manual just cannot see the advantage over the 2,unless you move up to the 1.6 powershift models at greater cost, and would not expect the Proton to be as reliable, also be aware that they have just done a minor face lift on the 2, alloys folding mirrors and two air bags are now standard, maybe there are a few old models to be had at a good discount ?

Thanks, do you have any particular dislikes? The shop I went to only had an automatic available for test drive. I had an automatic 7-series in the UK and autos with a 3 litre engine are just about bearable, but on a 1.5 a manual is the only option.

Thanks, do you have any particular dislikes? The shop I went to only had an automatic available for test drive. I had an automatic 7-series in the UK and autos with a 3 litre engine are just about bearable, but on a 1.5 a manual is the only option.

I tested the auto and did not like it, the gearbox seemed to drop 2 gears on kickdown scream the engine with little progress.

If I had to pick fault

Stereo not best in the world but ok

Seat belt warning alarm drives me crazy (loud beeping) even though we should always wear one whistling.gif

Fith gear is a little low @ 120 km the engine is at about 4000 rpm, not noisy but you just feel it could be higher.

It really is a great little drive, I have an 2010 Audi TTS soft top with dsg gearbox and the mazdas handling is really on par so much better than the 2010 Yaris auto that is also in our family.

Stereo not best in the world but ok

Is it replaceable? If not then maybe add some decent speakers and stick a sub in the boot. I like music when driving. The Proton has a Blaupunkt, so that's one up for the Proton.

Seat belt warning alarm drives me crazy (loud beeping) even though we should always wear one whistling.gif

Drives me crazy! I've had it before and I took a fuse out which thankfully was not linked with anything else. Will need to check the fuse wiring.

Fith gear is a little low @ 120 km the engine is at about 4000 rpm, not noisy but you just feel it could be higher.

120km/hr is too fast on Thai roads except the stretch from Nakhon Sawan to Rangsit.

It really is a great little drive, I have an 2010 Audi TTS soft top with dsg gearbox and the mazdas handling is really on par so much better than the 2010 Yaris auto that is also in our family.

The Yaris was on the shopping list, but the extras you get as standard with the Mazda, Ford and Proton mean the Yaris is quite simply over-priced, and the central dashboard quite literally dangerous (in my experience of driving the Vios with a similar dashboard set up).

naboo

The Yaris central dashboard quite literally dangerous (in my experience of driving the Vios with a similar dashboard set up).

Can you please explain why dangerous out of interest.:blink:

Edited by Kwasaki

naboo

The Yaris central dashboard quite literally dangerous (in my experience of driving the Vios with a similar dashboard set up).

Speedometer is located in the centre of the vehicle, not easy to glance at and I've often found myself drifting left when looking down and left to check my speed.

naboo

Many people complain that because the dials are in the center on Yaris , you have to look left and down and therefore take your eyes off the road in front of you, does take some getting used to

Ford Fiesta 1.4 looks better than the Mazda

Mazda 2 HB 1.5 . Thai Friend bought a new one hatted it and bought the new Nissan a few months later

Proton Neo 1.6L if buying a small car would think this is better for me as a 2 door hatch, as the doors are bigger easier to get into + I drive alone so back seats would never be used, why have doors to an area never used.

The question is how much are you going to drive? what do you feel most comfortable in.

I bought a Mazda 2 aprox one month ago and have no regrets, the manual gear box is very sweet and handling superb very much a fun drive, reminds me of the original mazda MX5 mialto. If you search out Mazda 2 reviews you get pretty much the same opinion with regard to sporty handling etc.

I have done a couple of thousand KM now and seem to get about 450 km per 1000 bht e20 mixed driving outskirts of BKK, we took it from BKK to sattahip this weekend with 4 people on board no issues cruises at 120 km very well.

This is the type of deal you should expect from my purchase thread http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry4603962

The Fiesta is a good car but I would avoid the 1.4 manual just cannot see the advantage over the 2,unless you move up to the 1.6 powershift models at greater cost, and would not expect the Proton to be as reliable, also be aware that they have just done a minor face lift on the 2, alloys folding mirrors and two air bags are now standard, maybe there are a few old models to be had at a good discount ?

Hi Br12stol, What exactly are your driving conditions? I live in Nonthaburi, which is the outskirts of BKK, as you may know. I was thinking of the Mazda 2 MT as the cheaper alternative to the fiesta 1.6. Can you save me some calculations and outline your fuel consumption? I would be hoping for at least 13-14 km/l around this part of town.

How do you find hard driving affect fuel consumption? I read it can really use a lot of petrol when driven hard. The facelift is looking good at 545K, with two airbags.

The beauty of the mazda 2 is there is a huge aftermarket for it.

What is the RPM at 100km/h - is it a little annoying at this rpm? Thanks...

This is the type of deal you should expect from my purchase thread http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry4603962

Hi Br12stol, What exactly are your driving conditions? I live in Nonthaburi, which is the outskirts of BKK, as you may know. I was thinking of the Mazda 2 MT as the cheaper alternative to the fiesta 1.6. Can you save me some calculations and outline your fuel consumption? I would be hoping for at least 13-14 km/l around this part of town.

How do you find hard driving affect fuel consumption? I read it can really use a lot of petrol when driven hard. The facelift is looking good at 545K, with two airbags.

I live in Nonthaburi Bang Yai area which is on the western 9 ring road near where the sky train is due to finish, we use the Mazda to go into Nonthaburi about 3 times a week and also to travel further along the 9 towards sam Khok about 30km maybe twice per week, not much traffic. the 2 is doing about 15-16km per litre under those conditions.

We took it to Bang saray/Sattahip at the weekend and used about 1200 bht E20 guess about 600km in total with driving about.. so not much difference

At 100 km/hour it is fine, its just when you go faster (120-140) the engine gets a bit buzzy, it is not intrusive, I just feel like I want to change to a higher gear. But the engine is very smooth and great for mixed day to day driving.

Also I would expect an improvement after the engine has run in properly

I live in Nonthaburi Bang Yai area which is on the western 9 ring road near where the sky train is due to finish, we use the Mazda to go into Nonthaburi about 3 times a week and also to travel further along the 9 towards sam Khok about 30km maybe twice per week, not much traffic. the 2 is doing about 15-16km per litre under those conditions.

We took it to Bang saray/Sattahip at the weekend and used about 1200 bht E20 guess about 600km in total with driving about.. so not much difference

At 100 km/hour it is fine, its just when you go faster (120-140) the engine gets a bit buzzy, it is not intrusive, I just feel like I want to change to a higher gear. But the engine is very smooth and great for mixed day to day driving.

Also I would expect an improvement after the engine has run in properly

Thanks that's useful information. The average economy on the highway for the mazda 2 could be due to the gearing - the fiesta engine really is only at 1900 rpm at 100 km/h, so its really good for highway driving. You definately got a good deal when you bought it, and brings the price on par with more expensive cars that don't provide freebies - even the jazz MT is 590K !! - which is more than an auto mazda 2 groove. For the audio, do you know if the standard system can connect to an amplifier? I'll try to angle for a test drive of the mazda 2 MT and also the fiesta 1.6. Just not sure if the price difference can be justified..

No idea about the amp sorry, the stereo is ok really was just trying to nit pick, maybe a change of speakers would sort it as the volume is loud enough. It also has a speed sensitive feature so the vol increases with speed. The high end 2 comes with a sat nav touch screen as standard now, maybe it could be fitted at discount as a deal maker ?

Edited by br12stol

#

Thanks that's useful information. The average economy on the highway for the mazda 2 could be due to the gearing - the fiesta engine really is only at 1900 rpm at 100 km/h, so its really good for highway driving. You definately got a good deal when you bought it, and brings the price on par with more expensive cars that don't provide freebies - even the jazz MT is 590K !! - which is more than an auto mazda 2 groove. For the audio, do you know if the standard system can connect to an amplifier? I'll try to angle for a test drive of the mazda 2 MT and also the fiesta 1.6. Just not sure if the price difference can be justified..

http://www.ford.co.th/servlet/Satellite?c=DFYPage&cid=1248877517680&pagename=FTHEN%2Fcontroller&site=FTHEN

The Fiesta manual is 1.4........ Mazda 2 is 1.5.......... 1.6 Fiesta is Auto

I would forget the Proton.

Just have a look at the reviews to see what I mean.

I friend of my wife also has a proton and they are not happy with it.

Especially the build quality is very poor.

Don't forget that the resale value is also very poor.

The Mazda 2 sells like candy and therefore the second hand price remains very good.

I have both a Mazda 2 hatchback (one year old now) and a Honda City (2 years old now). We drive a lot long distances. Here is my summation.

The City get better gas mileage, due to its 5 speed auto I guess. The Mazda only has a 4 speed auto. Both are very reliable. The Mazda is more fun to drive, and has a more old skool responsiveness to the throttle. Obviously smaller, the Mazda is easier to park, and better in tight situations. The City is more refined in terms of ride.

Today, I would probably pick a Fiesta hatchback over the Mazda 2 as it's more solid and updated. However, in Thailand, resale value and demand by Thais still probably militates toward a Jap brand.

Seems the Protons never get mentioned. 4 Here Driven Locally, 2 Coupe style, 1 " LittleUn" and 1 Saloon. All been around about a Year,on asking, are you happy with them, unanimously they are Most Satisfied. I think the Naysayers are somewhat influenced by the Ladies, and have never tried one.

naboo

Many people complain that because the dials are in the center on Yaris , you have to look left and down and therefore take your eyes off the road in front of you, does take some getting used to

Only Honda like the Center Speedo, it helps their sales !!. The Toyota Bullshit Department i don't like mutch . Its put there to reduce production costs regarding RHD To LHD.they said, but the Yaris and Vios are not Cheaper then the competition,.So therefore when the new models arrive with the Dials back where one expects to find them how much extra will they cost .

Seems the Protons never get mentioned. 4 Here Driven Locally, 2 Coupe style, 1 " LittleUn" and 1 Saloon. All been around about a Year,on asking, are you happy with them, unanimously they are Most Satisfied. I think the Naysayers are somewhat influenced by the Ladies, and have never tried one.

I find that owners rarely complain, if ever, about their new car purchase, perhaps a face thing eh. :D

My reasons for looking at the Proton are that it seems to be the only 'hot hatch' available at under 1 million baht. The Mazda and Fiesta are 'just' hatchbacks.

The reviews I've seen have generally been for the 1.3 or standard 1.6, but the version available in Thailand is the sports version, the (Satria) Neo CPS which has apparently got a significantly better performing engine.

My concerns for the Proton are the obvious - quality, after sales service and depreciation. Depreciation seems to be 50% faster than either the Mazda or the Ford, there's nothing that can be done about that, Thais simply don't like Protons. Quality issues may be reputation only, I have no idea. I went and had a close look in the show room and it seemed to be well built. There was no noticeable difference in the quality of parts when compared to the Mazda or Ford. But what will it be like a year (or 5) down the line? Anybody know?

The Mazda and Ford are not going to be as much fun to drive, though the Mazda seemed OK, the 1.4 Fiesta will I imagine be sluggish as I won't get an auto, don't want power shift etc, just a standard Manual so 1.4 is the only option. Both will hold value to a similar level, both will be long term reliable cars. As has been said, the 1.4 Fiesta engine is not going to match the Mazda.

So unless I get a significant reason, I'm left with a choice between the Mazda 2 (sensible as its reliable, not going to depreciate as much and looks pretty good) or the Proton (who ever thought the Proton wouldn't be the sensible option, the more fun to drive with a bit more power).

What I really want is 1980s VW Golf GTi. Brand new.

I find that owners rarely complain, if ever, about their new car purchase, perhaps a face thing eh. :D

Thai friend bought the Proton Exora + loaded with extra's including leather, replacing there Honda CRV, over 1 year later and high amount of km still says it is a very good + trouble free car.... around the Villages where i live there are a number of Proton Neo cars

My reasons for looking at the Proton are that it seems to be the only 'hot hatch' available at under 1 million baht. The Mazda and Fiesta are 'just' hatchbacks.

The reviews I've seen have generally been for the 1.3 or standard 1.6, but the version available in Thailand is the sports version, the (Satria) Neo CPS which has apparently got a significantly better performing engine.

My concerns for the Proton are the obvious - quality, after sales service and depreciation. Depreciation seems to be 50% faster than either the Mazda or the Ford, there's nothing that can be done about that, Thais simply don't like Protons. Quality issues may be reputation only, I have no idea. I went and had a close look in the show room and it seemed to be well built. There was no noticeable difference in the quality of parts when compared to the Mazda or Ford. But what will it be like a year (or 5) down the line? Anybody know?

The Mazda and Ford are not going to be as much fun to drive, though the Mazda seemed OK, the 1.4 Fiesta will I imagine be sluggish as I won't get an auto, don't want power shift etc, just a standard Manual so 1.4 is the only option. Both will hold value to a similar level, both will be long term reliable cars. As has been said, the 1.4 Fiesta engine is not going to match the Mazda.

So unless I get a significant reason, I'm left with a choice between the Mazda 2 (sensible as its reliable, not going to depreciate as much and looks pretty good) or the Proton (who ever thought the Proton wouldn't be the sensible option, the more fun to drive with a bit more power).

What I really want is 1980s VW Golf GTi. Brand new.

You really need to drive the manual Mazda 2 it is so very much different to the Auto, I originally tested an auto and disliked it, but read a few reviews on the net and decided to give the manual version a go, it just so reminded me of the original mx5 the gearbox is an absolute gem, do not be put off by the 103 bhp it is a very light nimble car and revs eagerly. Autocar dont pull punches when it comes to reviews http://www.autocar.c...5-Sport/228231/ and they have sorted the suspension more since then. I am sure it the best fun per baht in Thailand. Subtly hinting its like a PUG 205 gti rolleyes.gif to which I agree.

"Mazda claims to have reduced internal frictions within the new 2’s 1.5-litre engine by fine-tuning piston skirts and redesigning oil passages, and it takes just one trip to the redline to confirm as much. The 1.5-litre motor spins smoothly, with little inertia and a pleasant zing, and feels every bit as strong as the headline outputs of 102bhp and 101lb ft suggest.The 2 also pulls smoothly from low revs with little protestation. Find yourself confronted with an open road, or needing to accelerate at motorway speeds, and there’s every encouragement to use all of the available power. Drive the 2 in this vain, and 0-60mph is possible in 9.7sec, ahead of both Mazda’s claims and the competition.

All petrol Mazda 2s get the same braking configuration: 258mm ventilated discs at the front, but only drums at the rear. That explains the mediocre stopping distances recorded.

The way this Mazda rides and handles is reminiscent of certain classic French hatchbacks: it’s softly sprung, with reasonable body roll, a cushioned ride but surprising ability through the twisty stuff.

The Mazda’s reduced weight allows for softer springs and greater wheel movement than the norm, to the benefit of ride quality, while still keeping the 2’s body in check.

Only high frequency transverse ridges caused a little nervousness in the car’s ride. This may have been aggravated by our test car’s optional 16in wheels; we expect the standard 14in wheels to fair much better. The primary ride, a car’s ability to control body movements down a tumbling road, or over crests or into compressions, is difficult to fault.

It’s what happens when you turn the steering wheel that has left us most impressed with Mazda’s 2 though. Firstly, despite being electrically assisted, the steering is remarkably satisfying, decently weighted, quick without feeling nervous and, best of all, intuitive to use. It’s the best system in the sector we’ve tried yet."

Edited by br12stol

"My reasons for looking at the Proton are that it seems to be the only 'hot hatch' available at under 1 million baht. The Mazda and Fiesta are 'just' hatchbacks.

The reviews I've seen have generally been for the 1.3 or standard 1.6, but the version available in Thailand is the sports version, the (Satria) Neo CPS which has apparently got a significantly better performing engine."

Proton neo cps from Proton Thailand (High line high output engine)

1159 kg

0-100 11.5 secs

Mazda 2

1013 kg

0-100 10.4 secs

But as Autocar says "The 2 also pulls smoothly from low revs with little protestation. Find yourself confronted with an open road, or needing to accelerate at motorway speeds, and there's every encouragement to use all of the available power. Drive the 2 in this vain, and 0-60mph is possible in 9.7sec, ahead of both Mazda's claims and the competition."

Makes the Proton far from HOT

Edited by br12stol

naboo

Only Honda like the Center Speedo, it helps their sales !!. The Toyota Bullshit Department i don't like mutch . Its put there to reduce production costs regarding RHD To LHD.they said, but the Yaris and Vios are not Cheaper then the competition,.So therefore when the new models arrive with the Dials back where one expects to find them how much extra will they cost .

Not many here would like flying a helicopter then.:D

My G/F just bought a Ford Fiesta in April, 1.6 Auto. I drove it a few hundred km the past few weeks and loved. No issues what so ever and I am a Honda/Nissan fan to the max. Plenty of leg room for a 2 meter tall guy and handling around corners in Northern Isan was a breeze. I beleive you get what you pay for when it comes to the Proton and the Mazda just lacked that new car appeal my girl was looking for.

My G/F just bought a Ford Fiesta in April, 1.6 Auto. I drove it a few hundred km the past few weeks and loved. No issues what so ever and I am a Honda/Nissan fan to the max. Plenty of leg room for a 2 meter tall guy and handling around corners in Northern Isan was a breeze. I beleive you get what you pay for when it comes to the Proton and the Mazda just lacked that new car appeal my girl was looking for.

Agreed the Fiesta Sport is a better car with a 155,000 bht higher price tag, but the OP was after manual geared car, and the mazda 2 is better than the 1.4 Fiesta in that contest imho. Would not entertain the Proton as it is an inferior product.

• 2 weeks later...

Mazda 2 Sports feels and rides good. Wanted a automatic model due to traffic. Consumption is a bit on the high side, but overall driving experience is more than a compensation to that! Takes any gas available 91, 91 Gasohol, 95, 95 Gasohol, E20...without any remarkable difference. :thumbsup:

Not without reason, the Mazda 2 and the Fiesta (both share a platform), these cars are winning tests over Yaris, Jazz etc.

naboo

Yeah that center console crap is for the birds... Absolutely useless there in any model.