Anz Nz Bans 3 Countries For Tt...

Last year I TT an amount well over NZD10,000, no problem.

This year I want to do the same.

NOPE!

Thailand, the Philippines and South Africa are now all on the do not allow big transfers list.

I can TT NZD10,000 but not one cent more.

Too many fraudulent transaction to these countries according to the call centre operator.

I suppose next year it will be banned altogether and I'll have to get a carrier pigeon to deliver the dosh.

The banks logic is c.r.a.p. as I bet that a lot of fraud occurs under 10,000 too!

Your heading is misleading - not a 'ban', they have placed a limit of NZ 10k.

My last TT from NZ (Kiwibank) received a telephone call wanting to confirm it was a genuine transaction, part of their fraud prevention process.

I don't object to this, prefer them to be alert to any potential fraudulent account activity; peace of mind for me, rather than an inconvenience.

Edited by Atmos

I regularly remit funds larger than that to Thailand. There has of recent times been an added request to provide an address of the beneficiary, myself, which is an effort to tighten up on money laundering etc.

I suggest you get past the call centre and talk to your branch. There is no exchange control in NZ these days and as such the Bank cannot restrict your transfer of funds if all is legitimate.

However they should, and do, advise you of precautions that they take for both you and theirselves protection.

ANZ as in anz bank? They've had the 10k limit for a while. It's only there to stop online fraud (in case your account details have been stolen). You can still transfer more, you just have to ring and arrange it in advance.

ANZ as in anz bank? They've had the 10k limit for a while. It's only there to stop online fraud (in case your account details have been stolen). You can still transfer more, you just have to ring and arrange it in advance.

I was calling to arrange it in advance, through telephone direct.

No one at my branch would know me since I have been offshore for years and last set foot in my branch in 1991 (I think).

They said I should contact my branch direct to over-ride the limit etc, but whats the point? Oh Om save me about NZD100 in calls/extra transfer fees.

Can't be bothered.

I bet Nigeria is on the list at the top next to Russia and the Ukraine.

No one at my branch would know me since I have been offshore for years and last set foot in my branch in 1991 (I think).

They said I should contact my branch direct to over-ride the limit etc, but whats the point? Oh Om save me about NZD100 in calls/extra transfer fees.

Can't be bothered.

I bet Nigeria is on the list at the top next to Russia and the Ukraine.

They may not know you personally but they will ask some key question to confirm who you are, amusingly I had to call ANZ last month, I rang their offshore free call number and the person asked how I was enjoying my time in Thailand !!