Aeon Atms Pattaya

4evermaat

Pointless exercise anyway as proved beyond doubt that the lack of a 150 baht charge is negated by a lower exchange rate.

Dont take my word for it-check it out when rates are locked down over weekends.

Pointless exercise anyway as proved beyond doubt that the lack of a 150 baht charge is negated by a lower exchange rate.

Don't listen to this sour grump

Do a search of his posts and he has been soundly bashed on all of his AEON posts

There are three locations for AEON ATM's that don't charge the 150 THB fee for the use of foreign ATM cards

Ground floor of Tesco as listed above (two ATM's)

Carefour on Pattay Klang ( one, ground floor in the corridor on the way to the toilets)

HomeWorks next to Big C on Sukumvit and Pattaya Tai ( one, outside the HomeWorks entrance)

Please take no notice of the nutter Chivas. He makes the same claim on multiple forums. The claim has been disproved on every occasion. So then he just abandons that thread and begins another.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to link to his threads on other forums. so I will not at this stage.

But you can see two of the threads that he started on this forum here and here.

His modus operandi is to make these wild claims, but to present them in a form that on the outset, makes it look valid. Until you begin asking questions.....

What he doesn't tell you, is that it is his UK bank card that is taking a 2.75% commission when he uses an AEON machine. He then compares it with withdrawals from other banks ATMs where DCC was used, thereby avoiding his UK banks 2.75% charge, but levying their own.

He also fails to mention the other charges levied on his statements or to confirm as to whether the other banks used DCC and presented to his bank in Pounds rather than Baht.

The man is thoroughly dishonest and this will be borne out with a perusal of the posts to which I have linked and even more clearly in the posts to which I cannot link, where it is made clear that it was his bank that was making the deductions from his AEON withdrawals.

If the mods say it is ok, I will be happy to link to the other threads where his case is clearly disproved with illustrations and also where he claims to have 26 years of banking experience. It will also show that he already was informed of his UK bank commissions, but deliberately failed to mention them in order to try to 'pull the wool over our eyes' here. But since we know his names on the other forums, he has been unsuccessful in that endeavour.

Please, someone answer me...why would a man with 26 years of banking experience use a card in Thailand that takes a 2.75% commission plus £1.50 for each and every withdrawal??

There are multiple institutions in the UK that make no deductions at all from the Mastercard rate. So why would he not use one of these? Every other sensible person here would do the same or open a Thai bank account.

There is something seriously wrong with Chivas/Sailorboy01/Maximillion. That is his problem. But when he posts on here deliberately to deceive, it has to be exposed.

AEON makes no deductions, nor adds a charge. Anyone using a card that takes no commission is fully aware of this.

If Chivas continues to post his nonsense, I will ask Admin permission to link to his other threads where it has been clearly disproved and where his standard modus operandi is to refuse to give the asked for evidence, only then to abandon the thread spouting abuse.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Please take no notice of the nutter Chivas. He makes the same claim on multiple forums. The claim has been disproved on every occasion. So then he just abandons that thread and begins another.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to link to his threads on other forums. so I will not at this stage.

His modus operandi is to make these wild claims, but to present them in a form that on the outset, makes it look valid. Until you begin asking questions.....

What he doesn't tell you, is that it is his UK bank card that is taking a 2.75% commission when he uses an AEON machine. He then compares it with withdrawals from other banks ATMs where DCC was used, thereby avoiding his UK banks 2.75% charge, but levying their own.

He also fails to mention the other charges levied on his statements or to confirm as to whether the other banks used DCC and presented to his bank in Pounds rather than Baht.

The man is thoroughly dishonest and this will be borne out with a perusal of the posts to which I have linked and even more clearly in the posts to which I cannot link, where it is made clear that it was his bank that was making the deductions from his AEON withdrawals.

If the mods say it is ok, I will be happy to link to the other threads where his case is clearly disproved with illustrations and also where he claims to have 26 years of banking experience. It will also show that he already was informed of his UK bank commissions, but deliberately failed to mention them in order to try to 'pull the wool over our eyes' here. But since we know his names on the other forums, he has been unsuccessful in that endeavour.

Please, someone answer me...why would a man with 26 years of banking experience use a card in Thailand that takes a 2.75% commission plus £1.50 for each and every withdrawal??

There are multiple institutions in the UK that make no deductions at all from the Mastercard rate. So why would he not use one of these? Every other sensible person here would do the same or open a Thai bank account.

There is something seriously wrong with Chivas/Sailorboy01/Maximillion. That is his problem. But when he posts on here deliberately to deceive, it has to be exposed.

AEON makes no deductions, nor adds a charge. Anyone using a card that takes no commission is fully aware of this.

If Chivas continues to post his nonsense, I will ask Admin permission to link to his other threads where it has been clearly disproved and where his standard modus operandi is to refuse to give the asked for evidence, only then to abandon the thread spouting abuse.

Well you are indeed following me around Mr Jones !! Mr Jack Jones perhaps ??

Why dont you do EXACTLY what I suggested-nothing more nothing less.

To any Pattaya residents/tourists please do likewise-Check it out YOURSELVES !! Very very simple ?? DONT take my word for it.

How much more simpler can that be for anyone to understand !!!

AEON atms are not cheaper (or more expensive on average) when the bottom line figure hits your bank balance. The only point thats important.

And JJ PLEASE PLEASE try and grasp the point that if the SAME piece of plastic is used for the experiment it DOES NOT MATTER if the cards charges were 20%.

Now try and understand that because my 4 year can.

Edited by Chivas

I've ran the numbers myself and for my card, in 3 different provinces 8/10 I get a better exchange rate, beating the best thailand bank by about 5-10 satang on the TT rate. The other two times the exchange rate was worse by 5-10 satang I did these withdrawals earlier during the day. I suspect AEON does not have real-time snapshots of retail forex rates like the banks would throughout the business day. I definitely save with the 150 baht. But only if it is "i'm going in that direction anyway". Like Chumphon town: Aeon is centrally located down the street from Ocean Market on the Night Market street. Since almost all the major businesses are done in town, you luck out.

But if it does not work for your card, or if it is significantly out of range, it's not worth it.

I was reminded when I was coming into pattaya and saw a Big C with Aeon logo. But this was about 40 km from pattaya or so. I was getting 3G from AIS and tossed something up on thaivisa before I forgot. No 3G for ais where i'm staying, though :(

To any Pattaya residents/tourists please do likewise-Check it out YOURSELVES !! Very very simple ?? DONT take my word for it.

AEON atms are not cheaper (or more expensive on average) when the bottom line figure hits your bank balance. The only point thats important.

And JJ PLEASE PLEASE try and grasp the point that if the SAME piece of plastic is used for the experiment it DOES NOT MATTER if the cards charges were 20%.

Sorry Chivas, many of us have checked out ourselves and your claims are unsubstantiated as has been documented in other forums/threads.

I've ran the numbers myself and for my card, in 3 different provinces 8/10 I get a better exchange rate, beating the best thailand bank by about 5-10 satang on the TT rate. The other two times the exchange rate was worse by 5-10 satang I did these withdrawals earlier during the day. I suspect AEON does not have real-time snapshots of retail forex rates like the banks would throughout the business day. I definitely save with the 150 baht. But only if it is "i'm going in that direction anyway". Like Chumphon town: Aeon is centrally located down the street from Ocean Market on the Night Market street. Since almost all the major businesses are done in town, you luck out.

But if it does not work for your card, or if it is significantly out of range, it's not worth it.

I was reminded when I was coming into pattaya and saw a Big C with Aeon logo. But this was about 40 km from pattaya or so. I was getting 3G from AIS and tossed something up on thaivisa before I forgot. No 3G for ais where i'm staying, though :(

The madman is not comparing the AEON with TT rates. He is suggesting that you get better rates from ATMs from the other Thai banks.

Since AEON passes on the full Mastercard rate as illustrated here: MasterCard Currency Conversion Tool with no deductions or the full VISA rate ditto and with the other banks either using VISA/Mastercard rates plus 150 baht or using their own TT rate plus 150 baht using DCC, it is not possible that the exchange rates of the Thai banks out-perform the rate via AEON.

As I've written before, Chivas/Sailorboy01/Maximillon doesn't mention the charges levied by his UK bank. Nor does he appear to understand the effects of Dynamic Currency Conversion. This from a man who claims 26 years of work experience in the financial industry.

Ludicrous.

It is ridiculous to ask people on the forum to try to replicate his transactions, when he simply isn't honest about which UK bank cards he used, the times and dates of his transactions and all of the amounts posted to his statements with reference to each transaction and whether they were posted in Baht or Pounds.

He seems to be suffering from a kind of mental illness, where he expects people to believe any madness he presents, as a fait accompli..

I suggest that it is a mental illness, because this is most certainly not the first time that he has exhibited exactly the same behaviour. When the proof otherwise is clearly presented, he disappears and just posts the same rubbish on another thread or another forum.

But he never presents the requested evidence. He just lies about unknown people backing his point of view. But you won't find a single person on any of the forums backing his unsubstantiated claims.

I'm convinced that he has quite serious 'issues'.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

It is embarrassing that you are from the UK. What happened? Did you not go to school. I really hope that your four year old will do better.

Was it not you who claimed that you could not get VISA/Mastercard rates via ATM?

Would you like me to re-print your statement? You made it at the same time as telling us that you have 26 years in the financial industry.

Apart from anything else, why are you still using UK bank cards that offer you such poor rates?? Are you so old and stuck in your ways that you cannot absorb new information?

There are so many ways for you to obtain the full Mastercard/VISA rate via AEON available to you, being from the UK. Throw away your "26 years of experience", it is holding you back.

Educate yourself in the ways of maximising your international transactions. There is a wealth of info on this board. People here are more than happy to help.

Even when I got it wrong once on VISA/Mastercard comparisons, a fellow member took the time to put all of the figures together in order to illustrate the facts. That is what is important.

Forget about the point scoring.

If you really want to help others in the same position as yourself; tell them the UK cards that you used and all of the associated charges. That way people with the same cards as yourself will know what to expect.

Read up a little on Dynamic Currency Conversion and how it applies to the way charges are posted to your account.

Use a UK card that levies no charges and run your experiment again.

Tesco North Pattaya, ex Carrefour at Ground floor and one is up at Sukhumvit, witch I guess is not part of your "fun zone"

There was a Big C supercenter on another major road (Sukhumvit?). I saw an AEON representative and immediately inquired about ATM. He showed me homeworks next door, but when I went the ATM was broken/closed. I took his word for it and I never walked around the big c.

I drove around some more and I managed to run into a Tesco Lotus, practically across the street from Pattaya City Hall and down the street was a World Congress Center (sp? I caught a brief glimps of name). This Tesco had an Aeon center with 2 atms at the bottom floor, right next to Siam Commercial Bank. Was this one of the locations you mentioned?

edit: rate was 12000 baht withdraw / $400.63 bank withdraw = 29.95 baht per $1 usd.

There is one more potential downside with aeon. Sometimes there can be a line. Even if there is only 1 person in front of you, God forbid the machine is not accepting some of their bills. They will literally retry 10-15 times. I guess since there is a bank next door, it might not be so bad to just obtain a crispy bill.

Edited by 4evermaat

When I use AEON at Tesco I normally pull at least 40K. That will cost you 2 x 150 baht on most regular machines around town.

The AEON at Big-C Xtra (Carrefour) only gives 20K per pull and I've found it out of order many times.

When I use AEON at Tesco I normally pull at least 40K. That will cost you 2 x 150 baht on most regular machines around town.

The AEON at Big-C Xtra (Carrefour) only gives 20K per pull and I've found it out of order many times.

the one you refer to does deliver 40,000 (x40 notes)

I used one of the ATM's the other week and indeed got 15,000 out without any charge.

Unfortunately, my home bank (Nationwide with the lowest fees) charged me the equivelent of 240 baht at their end.

I used one of the ATM's the other week and indeed got 15,000 out without any charge.

Unfortunately, my home bank (Nationwide with the lowest fees) charged me the equivelent of 240 baht at their end.

Nationwide no longer have the lowest fees. Chuck 'em. Now your choices are Metro Bank, N&P or Cumberland Building Society. Some use the Halifax Clarity card and pay off the amount withdrawn immediately.

my exchange rate is performed by mastercard "NOT AEON" why would you keep posting such rubbish ?

If anyone still has a Nationwide card, but doesn't want to open another account or apply for a credit card, there is the option of a Prepaid card. The best option these days is the Travelex Cash Passport Globe.

Better value than the Nationwide at 1.49% off the exchange rate, instead of 2% plus £1.

Pay for it with the Nationwide card though, as other banks may charge for topping up.

If you are going to put a bit on the card, get a few quid back by signing up and going through a cashback website.

That way you'll get back 0.5% of your first topup.

In effect, that means than anything you spend abroad using that first topup is only subject to 0.99% commission off the Mastercard rate.

Far better than what the Nationwide debit card is currently offering.