Aeon Atms Are Charging 150 Baht !

As the title says they are charging the 150 baht or at least this one in Big C at Buriram is.

Wife was given the option to decline the transaction but rang me and told her to carry on whatever.

Rate was 48.54. :realangry:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chivas,

Those of you with Mastercards have had a good run for your money.

It was inevitable that they would charge eventually.

Agree entirely that they had to charge sooner or later-posted just that couple weeks ago BUT

This was a Visa Electron card from Halifax !!

I withdrew 9000 bahf from my UK bank account using a visa debit card today and no mention of the 150 baht fee from Aeon on the withdrawal slip. Will check tomorrow if there has been the 150 withdrawal fee duducted. Normally when l deduct fro say Bangkok Bank the withdrawal fee is shown

Edited by techno

I withdrew 9000 bahf from my UK bank account using a visa debit card today and no mention of the 150 baht fee from Aeon on the withdrawal slip. Will check tomorrow if there has been the 150 withdrawal fee duducted. Normally when l deduct fro say Bangkok Bank the withdrawal fee is shown

Agreed normally gives you option to decline transaction.

Only in Thailand could there be a rogue ATM

She will use same ATM tomorrow (my card only allows £300 daily) so will report back.

Edited by Chivas

Used the Aeon ATM at Carrefour/BigC On Nut this afternoon with a Visa card and no extra charge added to the 8000 Baht withdrawal. And I'll add my credit union back in the states only charges me $1.50 on their end for the international transactions. I love my credit union. :rolleyes: Lets just hope the Buriram ATM was a hiccup at that location.

Not good news. Has anyone tried with a Visa ATM card from the US and been hit with this fee?

I have unfortunatly. I have been getting hit with the $5 from AEON at Carefour here in Patttaya ever since they installed a new machine about 5 months ago. this is over and bove the international transaction fee's my bank chages me. When I use that card I usually take out a large amount as many people do and the machine is often out of service. No biggie as there are better and less costly ways to move money around.

Took some out yesterday and no charge. Aeon machines don't have a withdrawal fee yes or no page so perhaps new ones will as many farangs are now using their ATM's. ;)

Edited by transam

Not good news. Has anyone tried with a Visa ATM card from the US and been hit with this fee?

I have unfortunatly. I have been getting hit with the $5 from AEON at Carefour here in Patttaya ever since they installed a new machine about 5 months ago. this is over and bove the international transaction fee's my bank chages me. When I use that card I usually take out a large amount as many people do and the machine is often out of service. No biggie as there are better and less costly ways to move money around.

i use HSBC UK visa card & DBS Singapore Mastercard at this and the other two Aeon locations

there is no 150 charge levied by Aeon up to yesterday

HSBC charges £5 on a £300 daily limit withdrawal 14,000-15,000 baht (robbing b****)

DBS charges SG$5 on a withdrawal up to the machines capacity of 40,000 baht on a SG$2000 a day limit

these bank charges have not changed for 3 years

if you use a SCB Bank card overseas in an ATM, they will charge the account 100 baht per transaction for the privilege

so i think maybe its some additional bank charges levied on your account that you are talking about not Aeons........

i use HSBC UK visa card & DBS Singapore Mastercard at this and the other two Aeon locations

HSBC charges £5 on a £300 daily limit withdrawal 14,000-15,000 baht (robbing b****)

DBS charges SG$5 on a withdrawal up to the machines capacity of 40,000 baht on a SG$2000 a day limit

if you use a SCB Bank card overseas in an ATM, they will charge the account 100 baht per transaction for the privilege

so i think maybe its some additional bank charges levied on your account that you are talking about not Aeons........

Yes will fortunately my wife completed her schooling and when total withdrawal states 10150 than thats what it was !

Whatever I can see online it was 10150 baht.

Edited by Chivas

Yes will fortunately my wife completed her schooling and when total withdrawal states 10150 than thats what it was !

Whatever I can see online it was 10150 baht.

never mind Chivas, i am not getting charged and that's the important thing for me..........

Perhaps partially my fault. I dropped the idea (what was the point in not charging when it's uniformly charged across the board?) in a suggestion box about 8 months ago. Maybe just coincidence.

:)

Perhaps partially my fault. I dropped the idea (what was the point in not charging when it's uniformly charged across the board?) in a suggestion box about 8 months ago. Maybe just coincidence.

:)

You will be hunted down like Bin Laden! You best get on the move! ;)

If this turns out to be true and a slow change is occurring with AEON ATMs, then your card's ATM fee reimbursement policy becomes more important. The motivation to save your bank an ATM reimbursement fee by using at AEON ATM will be gone....just go use any Thai bank ATM.

If this turns out to be true and a slow change is occurring with AEON ATMs, then your card's ATM fee reimbursement policy becomes more important. The motivation to save your bank an ATM reimbursement fee by using at AEON ATM will be gone....just go use any Thai bank ATM.

You can take a lot more out of an Aeon ATM in one transaction than most of the Thai ATMs.

I was not charged at Aeon in Chiang Mai today.

You can take a lot more out of an Aeon ATM in one transaction than most of the Thai ATMs.

I was not charged at Aeon in Chiang Mai today.

I've used two different AEON ATMs over the last 10 days or so here in western Bangkok and was not charged any fee.

I agree entirely. It's such a pain in the ass to use AEON machines, that I've given up saving Schwab from paying the fee. They can afford it. Schwab, E-trade, and I believe Fidelity will all reimburse the 150 baht fee. And none of them charge a foreign transaction fee.

Why do we repeat this thread every couple of weeks?

Its much easier to go in the bank present your card and passport, they will do the transaction photocopy your ATM card and passport which you have to sign and then give you the money without charge.

It seems crazy that if you use the machine yourself you are charged 150 baht but if they do it its free using their time and also a photocopy......

Its much easier to go in the bank present your card and passport, they will do the transaction photocopy your ATM card and passport which you have to sign and then give you the money without charge.

It seems crazy that if you use the machine yourself you are charged 150 baht but if they do it its free using their time and also a photocopy......

Is this all thai bankss and all foreign debit ards w/visa/mc logos? Please elaborate with source spefic materials that back up your assertions. I hope you are right as this is news to me and I suspect others here.

Fidelity will not reimburse any ATM fees. they only give you 5 free monthly withdrawals before they start charging an internal fee

I agree entirely. It's such a pain in the ass to use AEON machines, that I've given up saving Schwab from paying the fee. They can afford it. Schwab, E-trade, and I believe Fidelity will all reimburse the 150 baht fee. And none of them charge a foreign transaction fee.

E*trade will reimburse the 150 Fee but does charge a 1% foreign transaction fee on Aeon and non Aeon ATM's

While you might not see a charge from AEON during your transaction, it shows up immediatly when i check my account whether by phone or online afterwords, and it does if fact show a $5 charge from AEON.

Counter withdrawal. Just go into your Thai bank branch with your foreign ATM card and passport and they will process for you. Quick, easy, no fee.

Is this all thai bankss and all foreign debit ards w/visa/mc logos? Please elaborate with source spefic materials that back up your assertions. I hope you are right as this is news to me and I suspect others here.

Edited by CMSteve

Probably because people periodically post incorrect or half-correct information, like you have above, and need to be corrected for the good of everyone... ;)

E*Trade does charge (or to put it another way, no longer covers) the VISA/MC network fee of 1% on foreign ATM withdrawals... They began doing so a year or so back, after not doing so for many years. So they don't charge their own foreign currency fee when you withdraw funds from an ATM abroad, but they will deduct 1% off the normal ATM exchange rate (such as that delivered by AEON ATMs)... On the good side, E*Trade still does do immediate reimbursements of other banks' ATM fees, including the Thai ones.

In contrast, Schwab charges neither the card networks' 1% fee nor their own foreign currency fee on foreign ATM withdrawals. And they do reimburse the ATM fees charged by other banks, including Thai ones, but at month's end.

Fidelity says they do charge the card networks 1% fee... and they don't charge their own separate foreign currency fee. One TV member posted the other day that, as a Fidelity member, he hasn't been getting charged the 1% on his Fidelity ATM withdrawals abroad, despite what Fidelity clearly says on their web site. I haven't seen that TV member's experience confirmed as yet by other TV/Fidelity members here.

Yes same AEON atm in Buriram has charged the 150 baht again today.

Chivas, I'm wondering what exactly your AEON ATM printed receipt says/shows... Does it just show a 10,150 baht total, or a 10,000 withdrawal and then a separate notation for 150 baht under some separate listing?

I last did an AEON w/d a few days ago in BKK with a U.S. MC debit card and was not charged any 150 baht fee... But that was a few days ago at the beginning of this month.

I think it unlikely any variation on this is related to new vs. old ATM machines, since what they show is a result of programming... not the hardware of the machine. So when a bank wants to make a change like that, they change the software programming of their system -- they don't do out and fiddle around with the guts of each one of their hundreds or thousands of ATMs.

Also, another possible explanation, though Chivas would have to address it himself, is whether the added charge is coming from his own home country bank or from AEON.

Right now, AFAIK, every Thai bank whose ATMs charge the 150 baht fee show a menu screen asking the customer if they will accept the 150 baht fee prior to proceeding with the transaction.

While you might not see a charge from AEON during your transaction, it shows up immediately when i check my account whether by phone or online afterwords, and it does if fact show a $5 charge from AEON.

You sure that ain't a separate fee charged by your home country bank. Many banks have such fees. Example: Bank of America now charges a $5 fee for use of a non-Bank of America ATM along with their foreign transaction percentage fee. And if the charge you have been getting is exactly $5, it's unlikely the exchange rate has lined up that perfect for several withdrawals and it probably is a home country bank fee; not a AEON fee.

Personally, I've never had any ATM charge me a fee without first asking me/giving me some indication it was going to be charged...and this charge would be on top of any separate fee(s) your home country bank may charge like a foreign transaction fee, fee for not using one of your home country bank ATMs, etc.

Counter withdrawal. Just go into your Thai bank branch with your foreign ATM card and passport and they will process for you. Quick, easy, no fee.

It might be quick, easy and no fee... It also might not...

Counter withdrawals are a legitimate, though much more rarely used way of withdrawing funds as an alternative to ATMs.... but it's not nearly as simple or clean as ATMs have been. Here's why:

1. Based on a lot of past TV member reports, some Thai banks and branches will simply refuse to do them, and direct the farang outside to use the ATM instead... If that happens to someone, the alternative is simply to look for another bank or branch and try again. So there's a potential time and hassle factor.

2. Some banks, and I'm thinking SCB in particular, though there may be others, may give a different and lower exchange rate on counter withdrawals than on ATM withdrawals. Most of the time the ATM and counter rate should be the same. But if I remember correctly, I believe SCB was giving a lower rate using something they call Dynamic Currency Conversion. DCC is something you really want to avoid, because that's the bank setting its own lower exchange rate.

3. You also need to be aware of how your home country bank (the issuer of the card you're using) treats foreign counter withdrawals. The Thai bank may not charge a fee for those, but your home country bank may, just the same as many charge a 2 or 3% fee on foreign ATM withdrawals and purchases.

4. And lastly, there's the hassle and risk factor of having to carry around your passport when you go to make counter withdrawals... A small risk of loss, of course. But a major hassle if one happens to lose their passport along the way somewhere. FWIW, I've had other spur of the moment Thai bank transactions from time to time where I didn't have my passport, but only had a laminated color photocopy card of the passport facepage and visa stamp on the reverse that I carry in my wallet all the time. And the banks, I'm thinking SCB and BKKB, accepted that in lieu of the original passport for making deposits (But I've never tried that with a counter withdrawal.)