If My Mom Has Overstayed Uk Visa, Will It Affect Me?

Hello Everyone

I posted this question in other forums before but there is no answer provided yet. I saw that it seems like there are some people here who have knowledge about UK visa so I hope that I can get any useful suggestions based on my concern.

The thing is, my mom is currently living in UK but on an overstayed visa over a year now. She is living with her spouse (UK citizen) and they tried to apply for rightful marriage visa before but failed due to financial stability reason (I don't know exact details on that matter). My mom cannot invite her husband to come back to Thailand because of his medical condition together with the government given privilege for an access to medical treatment, which is not available if his presence is not in the UK. They consulted the lawyer before but it seemed unsuccessful, on what ground I have no idea. My mom is a housewife and her husband is fully in charge of taking care of her and household expenses so my mom is staying home and doesn't work.

With above story, here it comes to my case.

I would like to apply for UK Tourist Visa but I'm worried for the fact that my mom is on overstayed basis, will it affect my visa application? We do not share the same surname as my parents were divorced. However, in the UK Visa Application Form, she needs to provide the dependent (family member) names/details so of course my name was there. For me to apply for a visa, I need to provide the details of my father and mother's name as well. This time, I will apply with an invitation from my Thai friend who is studying in UK now and I will probably stay with her or in a hotel nearby her residence.

Will I get rejected because of my mom status? Hope to get some ideas before I launch my application.

For me, without this issue, I don't see any solid problem that will prevent me from getting the UK Tourist Visa. I have been travelling to many countries, including one year and a half post-graduate study in Australia, and I'm still carrying 10 years valid US tourist Visa (which is seemed to be useful somehow when I apply for a visa to other countries). I never breached any immigration laws in any countries before. I have a permanent work (over 3 years now in the same company) in a reputable (Public) company along with a sufficient fund in my bank account.

I try to give as much details as possible so the people who can help me with answers can have basic info before giving suggestions.

Is there anyone who have any idea on this kind of case, please kindly advise.

Thank you very much in advance for such a kind help.

Unity2Mariana

hi I take it your Thai ,The problems you will have is who will sponsor you, Your Thai Girlfriend cannot sponcer you on a student visa. Who ever sponcers you will have have to prove you will return to Thailand, also they will have to declare where you will be living and have enough money to sustain your visit. The Boarder agency may look at your parents name,that could cause problems for them .

hi I take it your Thai ,The problems you will have is who will sponsor you, Your Thai Girlfriend cannot sponcer you on a student visa. Who ever sponcers you will have have to prove you will return to Thailand, also they will have to declare where you will be living and have enough money to sustain your visit. The Boarder agency may look at your parents name,that could cause problems for them .

Why do you assume he/she needs to be sponsored?

You also point out this could cause problems for them, what problems?

I have no information to give the OP so I do not comment. Why did you feel the need to?

If applying for a general or tourist visit visa you do not need to be sponsored. But even if you apply for a general visit visa you will be asked on the form for details of any family you have in the UK and if you intend to visit them whilst there.

If you apply for a family visit visa then, obvioulsy, you will be sponsored by them and have to give even more details about them; including what permission your mother has to be in the UK.

Whichever type of visa you apply for, if you tell the truth and mention your mother then this may bring her to the attention of the authorities and this could lead to her deportation and a possible lifetime ban for her from the UK.

If you do not mention her then you will have lied on the application form and if the Entry Clearance Officer finds out, and they could easily do so, then your application will be refused and you could be banned from visiting the UK for 10 years.

You will also be asked where you will be staying in the UK and who will be paying for the costs of your visit.

If staying with your friend or in a hotel; fine. But what about the costs? Can you afford this on your own, or will you need help from your step-father? If he will be helping you, he will need to say why and provide evidence that he has the money to do so; bank statements for example. This, again, could cause major problems for your mother.

If you are paying for everything yourself then you will need to provide evidence that you have the money to do so.

If you are thinking that your step-father can send you the money to put in your bank; forget it. ECOs are very suspicious of large amounts sudenly appearing in an applicant's bank and will want an explanation of where the money came from.

Sorry to be negative, but I think that any application from you is probably going to cause big problems for your mother; whether you are granted your visa or not. These problems are probably going to occur sooner or later anyway, and to be blunt I think that you as a family should be looking at resolving her illegal situation in the UK before you consider visiting her there. The longer she leaves it before doing anything, the more trouble she will have. She will certainly find the authorities more sympathetic if she voluntarily leaves the UK and then applies to return than if she is caught and deported.

That's my view, but yours is an unusual situation. Hopefully those with more experience and knowledge than I will be able to advise you further.

The information that you put on the application concerning your parents should be, and probably will be, checked by the staff who process the application at the Embassy. If they do their job properly, and you have truthfully completed the application form with your mother's details, then the information concerning your mother will become available to the visa officer. Records, including names, addresses and telephone numbers are stored in databases which are available to the visa officer if the right buttons are pushed. If the pre - checking is done properly, then your mother's details will come up. There is also a question on the application form about having friends or relatives in the UK. If you answer in the negative, then this a lie, and may result in a ban on future UK visa applications.

The fact that your mother's details have come up in the pre-check ( if they do ) as an immigration offender is relevant to your own application. If you have not mentioned in your application that you have friends or relatives in the UK ( it is a question on the application form ), then your application is likely to be refused. The fact that you have not used your mother as a sponsor will be irrelevant if you have answered " no" to the question about having relatives in the UK.

Why do you assume he/she needs to be sponsored?

You also point out this could cause problems for them, what problems?

I have no information to give the OP so I do not comment. Why did you feel the need to?

7by7 has put it better than i could ,