Thyroid Hormones Blood Test

GreenSnapper

I need to have a routine blood test for thyroid hormones in Bangkok, just T3, T4 and TSH.

Any idea where I can have this cheaply (how much about?) and without much hassles? Don't need a consultation, as I know what to look for.

Recommendations appreciated!

You can get it done at the Health Screening (check-up) section of any hospital. No need to purchase a check-up package, just select this fro m the "ala carte' menu.

Less expensive hospitals for this would include Bangkok Christian, Saint Louis (both in the Stahorn-Silom area), Mission Hospital (Pisanuloke Rd downtown area near all the government offices, convenient to khao Sarn Rd), Camellian Hospital (Soi Tonglar).

The wife got the exact same thyroid panel test a few weeks ago in conjunction with her annual exam, other blood tests, mammogram, etc.., at Thonburi 2 Hospital here in western Bangkok. This is where I have all my medical stuff done also. There is also the main Thonburi Hospital just on the west side of the Chao Phyra River in the Thonburi part of Bangkok.. Anyway, the thyroid panel tests you mentioned cost approx 414 baht the best I can figure from the receipts for the blood test stuff she had done....results will be provided in approx 20-40 minutes. But you will have around 300 baht in additional doctor/nurse fees on top of that as you just can't walk in an get the blood tests or anything done without first letting the nurse start the paperwork, check your blood pressure, check you weight, etc., and then seeing the doc....and then coming back to see the doc in about 20-40 minutes for the doc to show you the blood test results.

But you will have around 300 baht in additional doctor/nurse fees on top of that as you just can't walk in an get the blood tests or anything done without first letting the nurse start the paperwork, check your blood pressure, check you weight, etc., and then seeing the doc....and then coming back to see the doc in about 20-40 minutes for the doc to show you the blood test results.

It is a common misconception among expats here that the charges referred to are the result of the routine vitals signs and weighing etc. In part this may be because many ghospitals refer to the hospital surcharge as a "nursing fee". In the thai language the words for hospital and nursing are more or less the same. In other words, the "nursing" fee or surcharge is actually a hospital surcharge for the services received. This encompasses all the costs the hospital incurs in running the facility in which the services are delivered as - well as, of course, their profit (in the case of private hospitals). The cost of constructing, furnishing, maintaining and repairing builldings; utility costs; IT costs, administrative costs, salaries of all the auxiliary staff, etc etc. The taking of your BP and weight are the least of all this and barely a drop in the bucket. That is doen routinely for the same reason it is done in doctor offices all over the world, i.e. to establish a baseline in case the person's condition changes during their time in the hospital and to spot acute problems which would have a bearing on the treatment provided. In the case of weight, important information to have in prescribing medication.

I mention all this because people sometimes mistakenly think they can avoid these costs by refusing to, for example, have their BP measured. Not only is that a bad idea, it wouldn't in any way affect the cost.