U.S. Embassy, American Services Section

Thanyaburi Mac

from Bangkok ACS

to Bangkok ACS

date Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 1:05 PM

subject Message to U.S. Citizens: ACS Appointment System

This is a reminder that beginning tomorrow, September 1, appointments

will be required for non-emergency consular services at the American

Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok. The U.S.

Consulate in Chiang Mai has already implemented this requirement, and

starting tomorrow the U.S. Embassy in Vientiane, Laos will also follow.

Please plan accordingly.

This email is UNCLASSIFIED

To register with the US Embassy and receive messages directly: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/acsregform.htm.

Edited by Tywais
e-mail removed as per forum rules

I much prefer the appointment system, just book a time online and walk right in....instead of having to wait 20 minutes for some guy at the window to be instructed on how to write his name on the passport form.

That's the up side of it I suppose, but having to take what day and time they give you and fit it into your schedule is quite another.

So this means that I have to make an appointment to get my annual statement of income from the Embassy?

Well, yeah, that's about what it says, and it's easy enough to do so.

Mac

Must say, tho, that there's AmCits here in Thailand, and others just passing through, who do not have internet and will not have heard of this policy. So, reckon if no appointment, and a non-emergency, just plead ignorance.

Mac

I much prefer the appointment system, just book a time online and walk right in....instead of having to wait 20 minutes for some guy at the window to be instructed on how to write his name on the passport form.

Yes, I could see the overall convenience of a systematic appointment calendar. 20 minutes [even 30 minutes] isn't that much of a wait considering the bureaucracy.

Odd. I wonder where this new strategy derives from. Perhaps the American Services is becoming overwhelmed.

Yes, I could see the overall convenience of a systematic appointment calendar. 20 minutes [even 30 minutes] isn't that much of a wait considering the bureaucracy.

Odd. I wonder where this new strategy derives from. Perhaps the American Services is becoming overwhelmed.

Agreed. I can't understand why they need to change the existing system. It was working just fine. Those that made an appointment got priority, and those who wanted more convenience could just walk in and be served as available.

Why change what wasn't broken?

That's the up side of it I suppose, but having to take what day and time they give you and fit it into your schedule is quite another.

You don't have to take the day and time they give you; you pick your own date/time on a calendar of time spots, last time i did it there were 6 or 7 different spots available.