Best Tourist Sim Card For Data?

stratnolegs

Hey Guys,

I'll be visiting Thailand next month for a few weeks holiday and will be bring in my android phone with me. I'd be lost without a data connection for maps alone let alone other services, so i want to pick up a local prepaid sim card as soon as I land.

I read that there are both AIS and DTAC shops in BKK airport but want to know who has the best data coverage and speeds. I'm not too pushed about calls and texts, just data.

I'l be in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui. Who would be best to choose from? Are the other providers worth a look? Thanks.

The big three are AIS, True and Dtac. I live in the boonies upcountry and True has no signal here. My normal SIM card is AIS for everyday calls but Dtac has the best Internet service in my area. There is NO 3G so EDGE from Dtac is faster and more reliable than AIS.

Cheers for that Gary, I'll be leaning towards DTAC so.

I'm bringing a Google Nexus One

I have no idea as to why Gary A is misleading you. There is commercially available 3G with AIS, TRUE DTAC and TOT. I guess he is just referring to the area in which he resides.

The SIM to use is dependent on your particular model.

There are two types of Nexus One.

HSDPA 900 / 1700 / 2100

HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 - for AT&T, Rogers Wireless

The first; HSPDA 900MHz can be used in conjunction with an AIS/One2Call 3G Net SIM in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

The second; HSPDA 850MHz can be used in conjunction with a TRUE 3G SIM in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. DTAC 3G can be used in Bangkok.

Either can be used in Bangkok with TOT 3G.

Currently no 3G on Samui.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

The big three are AIS, True and Dtac. I live in the boonies upcountry and True has no signal here. My normal SIM card is AIS for everyday calls but Dtac has the best Internet service in my area. There is NO 3G so EDGE from Dtac is faster and more reliable than AIS.

Absolutely my experience likewise.

Am in centre of Buriram never mind the Boonies and have only one signal bar on True but 5 on AIS and Dtac.

Edge is perfectly fine for browsing/banking/emails/Thaivisa etc but not for Youtube etc (without buffering)

And for the OP try and take advice from people who have actually BEEN to Thailand or live here rather than wannabees that hide in their bunker and quote off Google. People with real experience of everything on the ground.

Gary A is one such person who knows the score here in Thailand.

Edited by Chivas

Am in centre of Buriram never mind the Boonies and have only one signal bar on True but 5 on AIS and Dtac.

Edge is perfectly fine for browsing/banking/emails/Thaivisa etc but not for Youtube etc (without buffering)

And for the OP try and take advice from people who have actually BEEN to Thailand or live here rather than wannabees that hide in their bunker and quote off Google. People with real experience of everything on the ground.

Still trying to score points, but falling flat on your face again?

Perhaps you should take a look at the original post. Allow me.

I'l(sic) be in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui.

Do you see mention of Buri Ram? :rolleyes:

It always amuses me when some lower class Englishman moves to Baan Nok and then thinks he knows more about Thailand than anyone else.

Thank you for sharing with us that you are staying in some impoverished area of Thailand, but it is not relevant to the OP's request for information.

The information that I have provided is correct and up to date. There is CAT CDMA on Samui, but I won't suggest that the OP purchases a CDMA modem for his short stay.

I'm quite sure that I have visited Thailand and Asia in general more often and for far longer than yourself. The fact that I haven't shacked up with one of the natives does not detract from my experience. :wai:

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

It always amuses me when some lower class Englishman moves to Baan Nok and then thinks he knows more about Thailand than anyone else.

Thank you for sharing with us that you are staying in some impoverished area of Thailand, but it is not relevant to the OP's request for information.

The information that I have provided is correct and up to date. There is CAT CDMA on Samui, but I won't suggest that the OP purchases a CDMA modem for his short stay.

I'm quite sure that I have visited Thailand and Asia in general more often and for far longer than yourself. The fact that I haven't shacked up with one of the natives does not detract from my experience. :wai:

I find you quite rude and someone who thinks he knows it all. A new guy wants to know what will work for him while he is here and you want to know the details of his phone. Do you want to know when his birthday is and where he was born? What difference does it make what phone he is using? You seem to ask for details from other posts that have nothing to do with the questions asked. What difference does it make how long someone has been here? Yes. I know that an expert like you needs to know more details but most questions are simple and they don't require such detailed technical answers. It's really not difficult to be a nice helpful guy and answer questions without putting other people down.

Very nicely put Gary but it will have gone straight in one ear and out the other.

Have received 4 PM's re this character in August detailing how ignorant he is. He has to be right-no one can possibly know more than him EVER on any subject.

I find you quite rude and someone who thinks he knows it all. A new guy wants to know what will work for him while he is here and you want to know the details of his phone. Do you want to know when his birthday is and where he was born? What difference does it make what phone he is using? You seem to ask for details from other posts that have nothing to do with the questions asked. What difference does it make how long someone has been here? Yes. I know that an expert like you needs to know more details but most questions are simple and they don't require such detailed technical answers. It's really not difficult to be a nice helpful guy and answer questions without putting other people down.

Come on Gary A, don't be obtuse.

Go back and read the OP's request.

He asks about best data coverage and speeds in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui and you tell him there is no 3G. That is ridiculous!

You gave him completely incorrect and misleading information!

Seriously my friend, if you don't understand the question, perhaps you should hold off from giving 'advice'.

If you actually knew anything of the subject, you would be embarrassed, not only by your original reply, but even more so by your subsequent post.

Do yourself a favour. Educate yourself by perusing one of the very many threads posted by lomatopo on this forum, before you mislead anyone further with your advice. I know you were trying to be helpful, but in this case, you are really wide of the mark.

A word of advice from me: Don't hitch your wagon to Chivas. He is extremely economical with the truth and tries desperately to PM others in order to whip up support and doesn't take rejection well. If there is anyone who wants to be seen as knowing it all, it is he. Unfortunately, he will lie and try to deceive towards this end. It is well documented on this forum and others.

So, whether you think that I am rude or not....I know my subjects. You have got it wrong and Chivas has 'issues' best left off the forum.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

They were handing out free "Tourist" prepaid sims today at Chiang Mai airport. Its from TRUE.

On this SIM most international calls at 1.5 Baht a minute. Local calls are 1.25 baht a minute. 1 hour of free wifi a month at 17,000 hotspots.

The packages are volume or time based. The top package is 750 Baht for 3GB on 3G and 3GB on Edge and unlimited wi-fi hot spot use.

The top time based one is 349 Baht for 100 hours on Edge and wifi and 15 hours on 3G.

I'm guessing when your 3G time/data runs out it drops you to Edge and when that runs out it starts charging by the minute. Does anyone know for sure?

I know you don't care about the phone calls, but they seem to have a whole package set up for tourists as the sim is free and a few printed leaflets came with it describing the tourist package.

Just another option for you.

They were handing out free "Tourist" prepaid sims today at Chiang Mai airport. Its from TRUE.

On this SIM most international calls at 1.5 Baht a minute. Local calls are 1.25 baht a minute. 1 hour of free wifi a month at 17,000 hotspots.

The packages are volume or time based. The top package is 750 Baht for 3GB on 3G and 3GB on Edge and unlimited wi-fi hot spot use.

The top time based one is 349 Baht for 100 hours on Edge and wifi and 15 hours on 3G.

I'm guessing when your 3G time/data runs out it drops you to Edge and when that runs out it starts charging by the minute. Does anyone know for sure?

I know you don't care about the phone calls, but they seem to have a whole package set up for tourists as the sim is free and a few printed leaflets came with it describing the tourist package.

Just another option for you.

Only if his Nexus One is of the correct type, as indicated in my first post.

If not, he will be limited to 3G via AIS/TOT. If yes, 3G via TRUE/DTAC/TOT.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

What would you recommend for a friend of mine, visiting Bangkok for a week, with an iPhone 3.

HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100

He will be using it for email and some web surfing, for one week only.

He will stay around Sukhumvit Soi 11, if that makes any difference for coverage.

From reading above, it looks like True would be the best bet?

I'm still not up to speed on 3G packages and connections, as I live in Pattaya.:blink:

I'm guessing the OP has a 900 Mhz 3G Nexus Uno, although they haven't followed up, so I'd recommend AIS/One-2-Call pre-paid SIM (Freedom), add money then select a volume-based data plan inclusive of 3G.

For MTH's friend I'd suggest DTAC or True.

I'm guessing the OP has a 900 Mhz 3G Nexus Uno, although they haven't followed up, so I'd recommend AIS/One-2-Call pre-paid SIM (Freedom), add money then select a volume-based data plan inclusive of 3G.

Thanks lomatopo, I will tell my friend to take a look at the DTAC and True data plans then!

Thanks lomatopo, I will tell my friend to take a look at the DTAC and True data plans then!

+

Don't overlook TOT 3G and their associated virtual networks. You'll get a larger data allowance for your money. Their MVNO partners links are at the bottom of this page. From as little as 99 baht for 500MB of data.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

JJ

Try and grasp the following. The only person on the finance and Internet forum with issues is YOU.

Gary made the point very clearly that people do not like your sergent-major bullying belittling approach to everyone. It sticks in my/our throats. Nothing anyone else posts can possibly be accurate-only you.

If the knowledge you impart to forum members was from personal memory and experience that would be great and impressive, but as your American enemy on the Secrets forum told you previously, anyone can sit in their Wisconsin bunker hunkered down with their right hand hovering over the Google button and then pass that information off as their own. It fools no one. It certainly fools no one on Secrets who lets say can be more vocal than on Thaivisa.

And since mentioning 4 members had pm'd me re your abuse previously Ive had a 5th concerning this thread.

They are not pretty-just give it a rest please. And that is the final word no matter what useless rebuttal you come up with this time. You'll end up giving yourself a stroke mate !!

Edited by Chivas

I no longer recommend TOT/MVNO 3G SIMs except for fixed-line broadband replacement. For the OP a TOT/MVNO SIM would limit 3G to metro Bangkok, and no 2G data anywhere, no SMS outside metro-Bangkok, and weak voice roaming outside metro-Bangkok. Better to stick with AIS/One-2-Call, which would allow for 3G in Bangkok, and Phuket; EDGE in Koh Samui and robust national voice and text coverage.

For MTH's friend it's a toss-up between True and DTAC. I'd probably lean towards DTAC if only as you can get a more cost-effective 3G plan.

Edited by lomatopo

Just checked my handset and I have the original one

The GSM radio frequencies covered are 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, and 1900 MHz. The original Nexus One (PB99100) also came along with UMTS frequency bands 1 (2100 MHz), 4 (1700 MHz), and 8 (900MHz), allowing it to access 3G throughout Europe, as well as on T-Mobile USA and WIND Mobile and Mobilicity and Videotron in Canada.

Thanks for your suggestions lomatopo and Jiu-Jitsu.

I ended up recommending DTAC to my friend.

The Happy Internet SIM for 69 Baht, currently comes with at least 300 Minutes of free EDGE.

(Maybe more, hard to figure out, as there are there are contradictory statements on their website).

A one week unlimited 3G package can then be purchased for an additional 299.

However it will revert back to EDGE after 1GB of downloads.

I no longer recommend TOT/MVNO 3G SIMs except for fixed-line broadband replacement. For the OP a TOT/MVNO SIM would limit 3G to metro Bangkok, and no 2G data anywhere, no SMS outside metro-Bangkok, and weak voice roaming outside metro-Bangkok. Better to stick with AIS/One-2-Call, which would allow for 3G in Bangkok, and Phuket; EDGE in Koh Samui and robust national voice and text coverage.

For MTH's friend it's a toss-up between True and DTAC. I'd probably lean towards DTAC if only as you can get a more cost-effective 3G plan.

My reply was to MTH, as he asked about Bangkok only(Sukhumwit 11). So in that case TOT 3G would be more cost effective. AIS 3G is not even in the running, as the iPhone 3 is not compatible.

I think you are getting a little mixed up with the replies.

I got one these TOT/MVNO 3G SIMS on your recommendation and can recommend it for consistent performance in the 2 locations where I need it, home (Mongers End, Sukhumvit) and office (Rachada @ Viphavadee). I installed the SIM in a Google Nexus One and use tethering for the laptop connections.

The guy I bought it from in Panthip says it's not a top-up deal and when the month is up, go get a new one. Is that true? Seems a chore to have to go shopping for a new connection versus using some kind of coupon (7-eleven) or online (Bangkok Bank iBanking?) to recharge it and keep on trucking.

I got one these TOT/MVNO 3G SIMS on your recommendation and can recommend it for consistent performance in the 2 locations where I need it, home (Mongers End, Sukhumvit) and office (Rachada @ Viphavadee). I installed the SIM in a Google Nexus One and use tethering for the laptop connections.

The guy I bought it from in Panthip says it's not a top-up deal and when the month is up, go get a new one. Is that true? Seems a chore to have to go shopping for a new connection versus using some kind of coupon (7-eleven) or online (Bangkok Bank iBanking?) to recharge it and keep on trucking.

Your application is fixed-line broadband replacement, hence the recommendation for TOT 3G. It's good to hear that it is working out for you.

Which SIM/Promotion do you have? Many/most, but not all, can be renewed.

Your application is fixed-line broadband replacement, hence the recommendation for TOT 3G. It's good to hear that it is working out for you.

Which SIM/Promotion do you have? Many/most, but not all, can be renewed.

I can't see the promo on ToT website anymore but was the 3G HSPA Super SPEED packaging, 30 days for +700 baht (doubled from +700 baht for 15 days) or something similar. I will try and call 1777 and see what they say. I know that when it was still valid and I tried to call another phone number, it wouldn't connect, call customer service sort of message which seemed right for a data-only package.

Incidentally, I have been a long-time AIS pre-paid consumer and have the unlimited EDGE/GPRS package but confirm that while in Bangkok, the phone is displaying mostly 3G connectivity and when I used it as a backup connection in the office today, it was pretty fast but no time to speed test the bugger!

Incidentally, I have been a long-time AIS pre-paid consumer and have the unlimited EDGE/GPRS package but confirm that while in Bangkok, the phone is displaying mostly 3G connectivity and when I used it as a backup connection in the office today, it was pretty fast but no time to speed test the bugger!

A ha. Subsequent to your initial query a few months ago AIS launched 3G on 900 Mhz. It may be easiest and simplest to convert your One-2-Call unlimited data plan to one which supports 3G. I think the price is the same? 799 baht/month. 3 GB of 3G fair-use to 384 Kbps.

http://www.ais.co.th/vas/datatips/en/index.html

You may be getting EDGE+, 384 Kbps. Or maybe they added 3G to your plan already?