Adsl2+ Router Needed?

sahprite

Can someone help this idiot (me) understand something?

I have a TOT 6 Mb package which has been suffering from a lot of connection problems (disconnects every few minute, slow speeds) recently and after finally getting the engineer to visit the house and check everything I was told I need a new ADSL2+ router.

I have 2 routers and the one I was using (apparently now faulty and cause of problems) was ADSL2+ compatible and the spare one is not compatible. However, the spare one is now connected and working fine. Do I need to invest in a new one and will it make any real difference as I thought ADSL2+ is for higher speeds up to 24 Mb. On Speedtest.net I am getting 5Mb in BKK, 5Mb in Hong KOng and 1.2Mb to USA, which is what I was getting with the old one.

Thanks for any clarification anyone can pass my way.

FYI: The router is a Zyxel P-660HW and I am getting a B reading on the pingtest. I usually got a D or below on the old router (Linksys WAG200g)

Edited by sahprite

Me thinks the TOT technician was feeding you a line of crap. I expect either router/modem will work just fine as long as setup properly. Regarding the ping time, if you are doing ping tests to the U.S., Europe, etc., your pingtest score should come out to around a D or maybe an F because of the long distance/high ping time of 200-350ms to those locations. Do a ping test to a pingtest sever in Thailand and you'll probably pull an A, A-, or B+, because of the short distance/low ping time.

When going into your modem setup menu what does it show for you phone/ADSL line stats such as Download/Upload Sync Speeds, Signal to Noises, Attenuation, etc., as these stats report the quality of your physical line connection between your modem and the local TOT central station/DSLAM? Poor stats would indicate a funky line which could be causing all your problems. Take a look at your modem's manual to see how to access your modem menus and to get the stats.

Thanks Pib,

yes, I did test local (Singapore) for the ping. I couldn't find a manual in the house so checked for one on the Zyxel website and the relevant page heading states that it's an ADSL2+ router so you were right...he was feeding me a line. I really wonder about these guys as there was no logical need for him to say this, especially as I checked the search history for when he was online and he actually found the same router information page as I did. And the connection problem seems to have been fixed with this Zyxel router.

Couldn't find any stats apart from Download/upload : 7168kbps/994kbps. nothing about noise, attenuation etc. Any suggestions as to how I can do this?

Thanks again

Thanks Pib,

yes, I did test local (Singapore) for the ping. I couldn't find a manual in the house so checked for one on the Zyxel website and the relevant page heading states that it's an ADSL2+ router so you were right...he was feeding me a line. I really wonder about these guys as there was no logical need for him to say this, especially as I checked the search history for when he was online and he actually found the same router information page as I did. And the connection problem seems to have been fixed with this Zyxel router.

Couldn't find any stats apart from Download/upload : 7168kbps/994kbps. nothing about noise, attenuation etc. Any suggestions as to how I can do this?

Thanks again

From the 7168Kb download speed that shows you are getting full "Sync" speed to the DSLAM, at least when you looked. Regarding the noise, attenuation, etc., stats they are listed in the modem menu area as I used a ZyXel 660 mdem on my TOT package for a while. Just cruise around the modem menu looking for anything that label along the line of Status, Diagnostics, etc. You'll find those stats.

Cruised around as suggested and found diagnostics.

DSL Lin Status:

noise margin upstream: 6 db

output power downstream: 16 db

attenuation upstream: 2 db

noise margin downstream: 34 db

output power upstream: 4 db

attenuation downstream: 7 db

No idea if this is good or bad but thanks for the advice and any guidance in translating the above.

Cruised around as suggested and found diagnostics.

DSL Lin Status:

noise margin upstream: 6 db

output power downstream: 16 db

attenuation upstream: 2 db

noise margin downstream: 34 db

output power upstream: 4 db

attenuation downstream: 7 db

No idea if this is good or bad but thanks for the advice and any guidance in translating the above.

Those of good numbers, and your downstream noise margin is outstanding. Now that you know how to find the stats you can check them when having disconnects....if they are still about the same then the problem is probably not your physical phone/ADSL line but TOT equipment further upstream.

Also, you never mentioned when having the disconnects how you are hooked up to your router. Via hardwired/ethernet between your computer and router or via Wifi between your computer and router. If via Wifi, then try a hardwired connection. Lots of time internent connection problems are being caused by your computer and Wifi router dropping their connection and has nothing to do with the modem maintaining a solid internet connection with the DSLAM. Like my Toshiba laptop, if the wrong Wifi chip driver gets loaded I get frequent disconnects; get the correct driver reloaded and it's rock solid again.