The State Of The Cases Against Thaksin

webfact

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Shinawatra government and previous Shinawatra governments were voted in by the people in fair elections. I say fair because, I'm pretty sure, all parties used whatever means, fair or unfair, to try and get elected. Therefore all were on equal grounds and that's what makes it fair.

don't think anybody can say that the Shinawatra's have not been naughty boys and girls. Opinions about how naughty and where the naughtiness took place will differ individual to individual.

Having said that the Thai people voted in governments known to be naughty, corrupt, nepotistic, selfish, etc.

What does that make the Thai people?

The problem with any democracy is that it is seen as the best of a bad choice. The problem in Thailand is exacerbated by the feudal system of patronage, itself exacerbated by a sub-standard national education curriculum, which needs to be addressed with proper funding, minimum standards, and minimum teaching professionals' qualifications. The issue, of course, is that it is in no political party's interest to see this come about, as the eventual result would be a reasonably well educated populace, less interested in being patronised and bought, than in asking intelligent and relevant questions of their political hopefuls, which the majority of hopefuls would be ill prepared to answer.

Unless, and until, that Utopia comes to be, Thailand remains at the mercy of its limited choice of politicians with ability, and must accept having the country run by people with a mandate neither presented in its entirety, nor endorsed in its entirety, by the electorate, and with a cabinet mostly consisting of the same old faces, with the same old agendas, who should long ago have been consigned to the dustbin of anachrocity.

In other words, Thaksin is a product of the system: a product who took the system by the scruff of its neck and had the ability to change it forever; to advance Thailand's cause; but who squandered the opportunity, allowing his paranoia, egotism, nepotism, cronyism and corrupt practices, to take precedence over the national interest.

As has ever been the case . . .

Edited by JohnAllan
  • Like 1

The Hutus and Tutsis imposed artificial borders and waged war. Men became criminals over other men's concept of right. Might followed.

The Thaksin affair is much like this. Imposing laws one day that the next day are no longer valid. Things get lost in the interpretations, and what is written, what was written, and what will be written further confuse the issues to the point that any sensible justice is simply not worth the effort it takes to sort it out; and certainly finding objective third parties to do the sorting adds even further to the skewed issue.

If you break the law (a law that has a history of being riddled with corruption and graft, you had better be a good citizen and hurry up and get in line to have your hand slapped, or people will disapprove.

A particular country by subject, as defined by this explanation:

Political corruption is the use of legislated powers by government officials for illegitimate private gain. Misuse of government power for other purposes, such as repression of political opponents and general police brutality, is not considered political corruption. Neither are illegal acts by private persons or corporations not directly involved with the government. An illegal act by an officeholder constitutes political corruption only if the act is directly related to their official duties.

Forms of corruption vary, but include bribery, extortion, cronyism, nepotism, patronage, graft, and embezzlement. While corruption may facilitate criminal enterprise such as drug trafficking, money laundering, and human trafficking, it is not restricted to these activities.

The activities that constitute illegal corruption differ depending on the country or jurisdiction. For instance, certain political funding practices that are legal in one place may be illegal in another. In some cases, government officials have broad or poorly defined powers, which make it difficult to distinguish between legal and illegal actions. Worldwide, bribery alone is estimated to involve over 1 trillion US dollars annually. A state of unrestrained political corruption is known as a kleptocracy, literally meaning "rule by thieves".

Point being; why single out the one, when the others are just as thick in it as the one they single out. Your logic is skewed. Bringing the one to a skewed form of justice does not serve any purpose other than to waste people's time and resources. The drama is so hypocritical that you can cut it with a knife.

There's another way to see this. If we say lots of people are corrupt therefore nobody should be prosecuted, it's really like saying 'go ahead' raid the treasury, nothing will ever happen, go for it anyway you want, it's OK.

Or a different example, if someone murdered one of your kids with severe violence, would you say 'We'll other murderers have never been caught or punished so it would be unfair to punish this murderer'.

I hope not.

This Shinawatra government and previous Shinawatra governments were voted in by the people in fair elections. I say fair because, I'm pretty sure, all parties used whatever means, fair or unfair, to try and get elected. Therefore all were on equal grounds and that's what makes it fair.

don't think anybody can say that the Shinawatra's have not been naughty boys and girls. Opinions about how naughty and where the naughtiness took place will differ individual to individual.

Having said that the Thai people voted in governments known to be naughty, corrupt, nepotistic, selfish, etc.

What does that make the Thai people?

Believers in Father Christmas??? Edited by Colin Yai

Hear him! Hear him! Between Taksin's cold blooded manipulation of the people and chalerm's puppy dog antics "I love you spike, really I do! Pant pant", how could one not be sickened by the whole thing! :realangry::bah:

Oooops I forgot to include what I was refering too, silly me :jap:

Was it the Third Hand? Possibly the Invisible Hand? Maybe forces beyond the constitution? Did his name begin with X? And will you reveal all in December?

Edited by Crushdepth

Its a fact that corruption at the top filters down into society as a whole. I would say Thailand is heading towards anarchy big time.

When I get stopped in my car by the roadside mafia I show all my papers which are always correct they look dissapointed... they look around the car for something wrong, dissapointment again... so they try to make something up that I dint actually do wrong... Cant win just pay the bastard his 300 baht and be on my way, BUT after that I will race the red light, go well well over any speed limits (My car is capable of well over 200Kph), I will weave in and out of the traffic to try and get to the front, I will do massive burn out at the lights (not waiting for green of course) I will drift the car around fast bends at over 150Kph (because that really is fun, and it scares the shit out of other drivers) I will do all of this because I don't care and I don't have ANY respect for those clowns taking my hard earned money on the site of the road I pay them what they want so I do just what I want. :D (and I am not kidding you)

• 4 months later...
BANGKOK — A Thai court ordered an arrest warrant Tuesday for former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on terrorism charges, accusing the fugitive leader of fomenting two months of unrest in Bangkok that left 88 people dead.

Associated Press - May 25, 2010

http://www.irrawaddy...hp?art_id=18547

- Case of terrorism against Thaksin

The Department of Special Investigation submitted the case linking Thaksin to red shirts charged with terrorism related to last year's political turmoil. The case is now before the Criminal Court.

he has memory difficulties...

Conversations with Thaksin

Now they say that Thai courts have charged you, Thaksin, in absentia, after you left, for your role in fomenting the street protests. Have you actually been charged by Thai courts?"

"Never. I never have been charged. I was only charged because of the land use."

Lengthy interview continues here:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/rss/eo20120125tp.html

Japan Times - Jan. 24, 2012

To compound the crimes even more these people who claim to support the ordinary man and woman here in Thailand are still feeding off of of their gullible malleable supporters like leeches, sucking even the financial marrow from their bones with the aim of forcing them into debt bondage to Brother No.1 with Brother No.1 and his regimes policies. Brother No.1 and the P.T.P. are indeed keeping those food sources fat with empty promises and policies,yet the policies and indeed the actions and the nepotism designed to benefit Brother No.1 and his family and their acolytes are being fast tracked.as are the freedoms and liberties of the individuals who may disagree with what is happening. An administration overtly backed by self declared vigilantes with their twisted agenda who shout ''Demo(n)cracy", yet such "Demo(n)cracy" is to be their own brand (whitewashes whiter than white) available only to themselves to furnish their own ends and aims.. There are indeed dark times ahead for this country. Yet still we have the Bob Astles clones here who, like Bob Astles who supported Idi Amin and his despotic regime. We see these resident clones of Bob Astles doing the same here by supporting and defending a despotic regime with all its blatant nepotism and corruption along with the regimes total disregard for the rule of law and the welfare of the Thai people. Indeed one is led to wonder why these Bob Astles clones do it, money , power low self esteem, hatred of fellow foreigners who have made their homes and families here, a low .Q perchance ?
Wow!!! I'm totally impressed by the pure vitriol you harbour against Thaksin and his cohorts (family members primarily)!!!! I think you hate him more than me :o and that's really saying something B). He really is abhorent and it pains me to see the Thai people's seeming adulation for him, stemming from a few populist policies a decade or so ago that benefitted no-one, but hoodwinked the majority into thinking that he cared about them!!! I bet he laughs behind their back at how gullible and stupid they were/are (I don't blame them by the way) and manipulates them like a puppeteer for his means and ends only, all to their detriment, not that they realise this. When will the people wake up from this perpetual nightmare that is Thaksin and see the light??? It is in their hands now and they must right the mistakes of the past and bannish him from their minds, and Thailand, forever, for their own good!!!:jap:

When they become educated = never

When the educated children of the above become the main talkers of the family

My Thai wife says many things about the present govt. to me that she can never say to her parents

Time changes all things sooner or later

Thaksin's regime was not that bad..........compared to Mugabe's.

or Idi Amin's or Pol Pot's.. smile.gif

Sorry my friend but you seem to have forgot Russia's Stalin or China's Mao , we might as well go the "whole hog" eh.

"Whole Hog"? Jeez, you've only got the hind leg.

How about Caligula, Ivan the terrible, Robespierre, Adolf Hitler, Papa Doc Duvalier, Caeucescu and good old Mobutu Sese Seko.

Thaksin Shinawatra, as detested as he is by some people, pales into insignificance when compared to the above names.

He's a veritable Milquetoast by comparison.

A post containing false/inaccurate information has been removed as well as the replies to that post.

15) Not to use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

Sorry my friend but you seem to have forgot Russia's Stalin or China's Mao , we might as well go the "whole hog" eh.

How about Caligula, Ivan the terrible, Robespierre, Adolf Hitler, Papa Doc Duvalier, Caeucescu and good old Mobutu Sese Seko.

Thaksin Shinawatra, as detested as he is by some people, pales into insignificance when compared to the above names.

The smart ones could see where it was going with Thaksin, that is why they took the action they did before time ran out.

In this day and age, who knows what he "could" have got up to; definately not Stalin, Hitler or Pol Pot, however I truly believe another five years hands on at the helm would have seen a Phillipines or worse.

Yeah. And somebody with a name like Hitler couldn't have been all bad. (Spike Milligan 1918-2002)

Spike was one of the very few whose messages to the World were even more comic than this Governments, but then he was trying to be hilariously funny.

Berlusconi is at his level. (without the bunga-bunga.)

• 6 months later...

The state of the cases against Thaksin

- Malfeasance related to the CTX 9000 bomb scanner scandal

The National Anti-Corruption Commission is investigating the malfeasance case against Thaksin and some of his cabinet members involving alleged corruption in the devices for Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Graft agency says it has found new evidence for CTX bomb scanner case

The National Anti-Corruption Commission Tuesday postponed its decision on the CTX bomb scanner scandal till next Tuesday, saying it had found new evidence of high-ranking Thai government officials being involved.

NACC member Vichai Vivitsevi said the agency unanimously agreed on the delay as more documents had been received from US prosecutors for justice agencies to translate. These included receipts and evidence of the procurement. They would be brought for consideration next time.

The NACC would decide next week and this was expected to take only two hours then.

Vichai said the NACC found new information in the now-defunct Assets Examination Committee's inquiry report that it had never looked into. That was evidence that convinced it to believe seven or more high-ranking government officials were involved with the CTX sales representatives. It had yet to be probed whether more officials from Suvarnabhumi Airport or politicians were involved.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-21

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1