90 Day "o" Visa

I need a little "tid-bit" of info, which most of you already know I'm sure. Please don't condemn me to the dungeon for asking.

I will be applying to Denver shortly for a 90 day visa, with the intent of extending after 60 days, for the eventual retirement. The only thing I need to know is:

Does the 90 days start at the issue date of the visa.....or do I have until I actually arrive at Don Muang Immigration. It's important because if it starts at issue I'll have to get off my butt and get over there pronto. I don't plan on making the move until after the first of the year.

I'm PLENTY old enuf, (too old), have enuf in the bank, (Citi), am in pretty good health, and have almost enuf pension income to qualify by itself. I'm American, and have all the bases covered, I think, except for the question above. Thanks for your help. Ernie

As said date of entry is start of the 90 days. Be sure you have a wire transfer agreement signed with you bank before you leave as that may have to be done in person (provide you password to use or whatever).

As also mentioned you could also consider the O-A pre approved retirement visa as you seem to have time. That would allow for a one year stay on arrival and they way it has been working in the past (issued as multi entry) it could cover almost two years of time before you would need to apply locally for an extension.

Is there some reason you are not applying for a retirement visa Non-OA ?

Maybe he believes what he reads on this site:

Criterias for retirement visa

Initially you must apply for a Non-Immigrant visa before you enter the country from a Thai Embassy abroad. Permission will be for 90 days. for the first permit (single entry) but you can apply for a multiple max one year stay in Thailand.

(See link from homepage)

It is to this sites discredit that this long out of date info (and other info, by the way) has not been updated.

It's important because if it starts at issue I'll have to get off my butt and get over there pronto. I don't plan on making the move until after the first of the year.

If you can spare $75 ($125 vs $50 for a single entry), why not get a multi entry Non Imm 'O?' This will give you one year to get your train to Thailand vice 90 days.

If considering an OA from Denver, communicate with them first. I seem to remember one or two honorary Consulates balked at doing OA's, instead refering you to the Thai Embassy or an MFA Consulate. Can't remember if Denver was one of those. Do remember that Houston was at the top of the list for excellent service re an OA visa.

As you probably know, plenty of info on this forum about OA vs O and extending in Thailand.

Thanks to all of you for the invaluable info now, and in the past, (at least to me anyway). You guys on this board are REALLY great. and a lot of us owe our thanks to you.

After digesting all the information I've read on this board, here's what I've settled on:

I have contacted Denver, and have rec'd an e-mail answer. No problem with a 90 day "O". Only need to send passport, completed application, one photo, $50 for single entry, ($125 for multi.) in cash or money order, and a self addressed post paid envelope, for U.S. postal service.

I have made the arrangements with Citibank for transfer of funds when the time comes, all on-line, (fairly simple). When you log in with the proper I.D. and click on Transfer Funds you are sent a "secret" code number, good for only a very limited time, to use with the transfer. (Just follow the prompts)

In addition I will bring with me my current Social Security form showing my income this year from SS, plus this year's "W-2" forms showing my pension income from previous employment.

My retirement income will qualify me for the extension, my age is no problem, I'm way over the minimum, I'm in pretty good health, no known maladies, and I have more than enough in my bank account to satisfy immigration, if they're not happy with the pension income.

One other thing that I think is important to me. Although I've been visiting Thailand every year, most years twice a year, since 1994, on short visits, and although I have been "going with" the same lady for about five years, and I love her dearly, (and I sincerely believe she loves me), (and my ATM), I am aware that permanent residence is a helluva lot different than being a tourist. I want the option left open to call the whole thing off, if neccessary, after 60 days or so of living there. I don't expect that to happen, but I still would like to leave it open. I,

same like all of you, really love it over there........but, as they say....S%$t happens..! And if things are a little "shakey", I can always "re-up" with a visa run and give it a little more time.

If you see any holes in my plan, your comment will be appreciated. Thanks, Ernie.

I am aware that permanent residence is a helluva lot different than being a tourist. I want the option left open to call the whole thing off, if neccessary, after 60 days or so of living there. I don't expect that to happen, but I still would like to leave it open. I,

same like all of you, really love it over there........but, as they say....S%$t happens..! And if things are a little "shakey", I can always "re-up" with a visa run and give it a little more time.

If you see any holes in my plan, your comment will be appreciated. Thanks, Ernie

Am not sure what you are saying here - although it would perhaps be a reason not to rush into marriage (but think you have that covered already). Having a retirement extension does not limit you in any way as you are always free to leave. If you want a longer time to decide rather than go through the 2 hour process the multi entry might make sense - that way you could spend over a year deciding and only have to cross a border every 90 days. But really, the retirement extension is not a lifetime commitment and you can turn around at any time.

I am aware that permanent residence is a helluva lot different than being a tourist. I want the option left open to call the whole thing off, if neccessary, after 60 days or so of living there. I don't expect that to happen, but I still would like to leave it open. I,

If you see any holes in my plan, your comment will be appreciated. Thanks, Ernie

Am not sure what you are saying here - although it would perhaps be a reason not to rush into marriage (but think you have that covered already). Having a retirement extension does not limit you in any way as you are always free to leave. If you want a longer time to decide rather than go through the 2 hour process the multi entry might make sense - that way you could spend over a year deciding and only have to cross a border every 90 days. But really, the retirement extension is not a lifetime commitment and you can turn around at any time.

Thank you sir, for your sage advice. When I pull up stakes here in the U.S. and make a total move to LOS, it's very doubtful I'll ever return "home", except when absolutely neccessary, for personal reasons. Can't wait to get out of this beaurocratic, tax grubbing hel_l-hole, permanently. If the relationship between my lady and I fades, I still have the remote chance that I MIGHT be able to find a replacement as a companion. We get along together good, but who knows what will happen when we're together 24/7 for an extended period. Some adjustments might have to be made on both sides. As you surmised, I don't contemplate an immediate marriage. Thank you again Lop.....will advise, Ernie.

Good luck Ernie. You seem to be well on top of it all.   :o

Thank you, sir, for your kind words, and encouragement. Hope you have a long and prosperous life. Your advice is invaluable. Cheers, Ernie

Dr . P.P..........you should have that framed. :D

In a gilt ( or is that guilt ) frame :D Ordered for delivery tomorrow Flyer :D