Considering A 1 Year Stint In Los

muldoon

Although I have thai citizenship, I haven't really spent as much time as I should have in thailand over the years,

and my lang skills are about at the level of the inflight magazine phrase section.

So I am thinking about spending at least 1 year in LOS(with my wife too).Sort of like a mid-life GAP year.I have family members there, but not in BKK where I want to base myself.

So I would need to find a nice apartment w/broadband.

We would intend to live a completely serviced lifestyle (apartment,furnishings, car etc...), rather than purchasing these items for keeps.

That way we can up and go, no strings attached when we want to.

With my passive income + work I can do remotely...we'll have around 900K-1M baht a month disposable income......

Would this be ample for :

1) top of the line fully serviced, full furnished large apartment/penthouse with shared broadband,best location

2) car + driver

3) sports club memberships (golf,tennis...)

4) meals

5) frequent regional air travel (kl,sing,hk,samui etc....)

etc...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might just scrape out an existance.

Although I have thai citizenship, I haven't really spent as much time as I should have in thailand over the years,

and my lang skills are about at the level of the inflight magazine phrase section.

So I am thinking about spending at least 1 year in LOS(with my wife too).Sort of like a mid-life GAP year.I have family members there, but not in BKK where I want to base myself.

We would intend to live a completely serviced lifestyle (apartment,furnishings, car etc...), rather than purchasing these items for keeps.

With my passive income + work I can do remotely...we'll have around 900K-1M baht a month disposable income......

1) top of the line fully serviced, full furnished large apartment/penthouse with shared broadband,best location

2) car + driver

4) meals

etc...

2) car + driver

4) meals

etc...

Troll

Might just scrape out an existance.

2) car + driver

4) meals

etc...

If he's particularly careful :o

geeeez..a serious,and polite post simply requesting info about the cost of living(cos I dont know and my parents are long out of touch)

Forget it...what a bunch of deranged weirdos.

I can recommend a good place to stay, Floraville Condo's. Its about 10 mins from central BKK IF the traffic is okay. Has 3 swimming pools, bar, restaurant, gym, snooker tables ect..

You can get a serviced apartment there at a reasonable price, a little on the expensive side if anything.

I stayed there for 6 months whilst working in BKK and loved every minute :o

I know what you mean with some of the posters on here, some get a little excited and jump to the conclusion that your a troll if they can't relate to your circumstances. Either that or just jealous, some need to be a little more broad minded IMO. Most are a good bunch though, thankfully! Don't let the odd few put you off.

Rj

I think it was the part where you claimed to have a million baht disposable income that threw everyone off.  Perhaps you erred on the number a bit

I have commercial and residential property income from freehold proprety.

I get interest on some cash investments.

My wife also has her own passive income streams.

I earn around 10K - 15K a month from consulting work in my industry.

NZD this is.

Based on exchange rate of around 28, yes my estimates are correct.No erring.Sorry if this offends people. But the numbers are important facts to ensure I get the answers and facts I am looking for.

I genuinely want to know some facts.Is this not an Expat board ?

Maybe I am wrong in presuming I might get a sensible answer here. Are there any other online resources I can use ?

I think it was the part where you claimed to have a million baht disposable income that threw everyone off.  Perhaps you erred on the number a bit

NZD this is.

Based on exchange rate of around 28, yes my estimates are correct.No erring.Sorry if this offends people. But the numbers are important facts to ensure I get the answers and facts I am looking for.

Maybe I am wrong in presuming I might get a sensible answer here. Are there any other online resources I can use ?

The thing is Noodlum, is that you are talking about a sal of around USD25k per month.You could live ok in Tokoyo on that sought of money!! Most people here could only dream of that amount of money.

A good expat sal job would be say THB400k per month.You can live off that quite comfortably.Food is cheap.Transport is cheap..that just leaves accommodation(There are plenty of threads on this if you do a search).You could pay anything from THB50,000 to THB100,000 per month,but as 'she who must be obeyed' says to me....pay more than THB15,000 rent per month and you have rocks in your head.You should be buying a place. :o

Hi,

There was a thread on cost of living in LOS a couple of days ago. Maybe you can scroll down a few pages and find it.

It sounded like you can live comfortably on 30K bath per month.

I'm thinking about living in LOS for a couple of years too, but I would have to find

a job. Yes I am jealous of 1M/month budget. :o

NZD this is.

If the dude was tossing around that much cash, he would just check into the Landmark and fuggetaboutit. Why bother with forums and other crappola says the dude. you are a wasting precious time.

:o

Thanks for the replys, even the cynical ones have taught me something that I will remember when I need to.

I think my best bet is to fly up to bkk and do a reconosaince mission for a week or 2 to get the answers first hand.

Cheers.

Thanks for the replys, even the cynical ones have taught me something that I will remember when I need to.

I think my best bet is to fly up to bkk and do a reconosaince mission for a week or 2 to get the answers first hand.

Cheers.

If you are going to rent an expensive apartment or house, just make sure that wifie goes by herself first to negotiate the rate and dosn't let on that she has a farang hubby...this alone could save you alot of money. :o

Good Idea

Big Noters are the first to be fleeced.

I would say you could live very well on about half a mill :o

Cheers.

2) car + driver

4) meals

etc...

muldoon,

Maybe you are not aware that you are really RICH! nearly everywere in this world!! Many people must understand your questions as an affront don't be surprised about the answers.

Why not contact your family members?

For your questions 1-5, I'm sure your money will do it.

Perhaps the Thailand Expat Gold Card will be a good solution for you?

Regards, Patex

Maybe you and Heng should get together over lunch and discuss your needs. He seem to be living within your budget range. Now, if you want to know how to live on $200 US per month in Thailand, drop me a line.

Ski and Goong

2) car + driver

4) meals

etc...

muldoon,

i may be wrong, but serviced apartments here are usually quite small, even 3 bedroom ones are only 100+ sqm, which may not be suitable for long term living. you can probably get a top tier serviced apartment for about 100+k per month on a 1-year contract, something like the Marriot or Conrad residences (car and driver not included).

my suggestion given your budget is to look for a fully furnished private penthouse apartment. 200k per month should do the job. hire your own service staff, live-in full-time maid will be about 7-8k per month, driver for about 10k per month. you can hire a car for about 30-50k per month depending on the model. top tier health club packages in the city, say at the Grand Hyatt, will be 75k per year for a couple, or appx 6k per month.

assuming you eat out everyday at good restaurants, meals should not go more than 100k per month.

assuming you and your wife travel once per month to a regional destination on economy, staying for maybe 3 or 4 nights, i'd say maybe another 100k per month.

grand total monthly budget would be around 475k, say 500k including utilities, groceries and other incidentals.

hope this helps.

QUOTE(muldoon @ 2005-11-03 06:14:07)

2) car + driver

4) meals

etc...

In short YES, more than ample, sure;y you know this :o .

Not sure if you are asking about where you could find a nice apartment.

How about the Emporium Suites - I think you could get one of the better ones for 250,000 a monh. add another 250,000 for extras - this includes First class air travel.

This way you could save 500,000 a month and after a few months of roughing it you could pay 2 million or so to join the Royal Bangkok Sports Club.

Cheers.

If you are going to rent an expensive apartment or house, just make sure that wifie goes by herself first to negotiate the rate and dosn't let on that she has a farang hubby...this alone could save you alot of money. :D

i do have thai nationality, my wife's situation is simliar to mine, she is part thai, hasn't spent a lot of time in LOS, although her spoken thai is good (but her reading is limited).Neither of us really look thai though.Maybe one of my mother's relatives (who is 100% thai),could assist :o

thanks for all the replys guys.

Maybe you and Heng should get together over lunch and discuss your needs. He seem to be living within your budget range. Now, if you want to know how to live on $200 US per month in Thailand, drop me a line.

Ski and Goong

2) car + driver

4) meals

etc...

Nah, this guy is out of my league by a good 10-15 %. :D

# 2, I see driver salaries between 7000-15000 a month, rather reasonable and that's 24-7 service. You probably want to house your driver in an apartment near your place if you aren't getting a home with servant's quarters. When selecting an automobile, keep in mind that your driver will likely be sleeping/resting/waiting in the vehicle at most of the places you go to. Make sure you photocopy their ID card and driver license. You don't want to have him tempted into kidnapping/ransoming you.

#3, Don't really know as I play tennis at the Army Club for 2,000 a year.... but there are however gentleman's clubs memberships in the 1 million+ range that you may be interested in.

:o

Edited by Heng

2) car + driver

4) meals

etc...

###### I'll be your butler for half that ! :o

Cheers.

If you are going to rent an expensive apartment or house, just make sure that wifie goes by herself first to negotiate the rate and dosn't let on that she has a farang hubby...this alone could save you alot of money. :D

i do have thai nationality, my wife's situation is simliar to mine, she is part thai, hasn't spent a lot of time in LOS, although her spoken thai is good (but her reading is limited).Neither of us really look thai though.Maybe one of my mother's relatives (who is 100% thai),could assist :D

thanks for all the replys guys.

Muldoon

PLease dont boast about how much money you have when you get here . You will be robbed blind . JUst words of advice . You might want to get a place on the 2nd floor as well and not on the top floor , people have a problem slipping off the balcony . :o

Did you really say 1 million baht a month? In what country could you not live on this amount. That is about 20,000 euros a month. 5,000 a week. If you have ever really been to Thailand you will know that this is more than enough to survive on even if you do require a driver and whatever other pampered requirements you have.

I backpacked in Thailand for nearly 2 years on your monthly budget, just a tought. I dont suppsose you plan on staying in a fan room on the Khao Sahn road.

Muldoon --

Regarding serviced apartments, try 'Meritus Suites' in Bangkok. We had the 3 bedroom for a few days when we met some friends there. It was very nice and high up. The kitchen looked beautiful, but we didn't use anything much in there. We had to ask for more dishes, etc. In the building (State Tower), there is a bar/restaurant on the top floor with a magnificent view (it's outdoors). We went up there for a drink to get a glance at the jazz performer. The pool wasn't in service ready yet - this was January or February of this year. We didn't need a car since it is close to the ferries and skytrain.

Centre Point is in a few areas in Bangkok. We stayed at one in the Silom area. It was nice, but Meritus Suites was nicer and roomier.

Emporuim Suites (Bangkok) is supposed to be nice also. The skytrain is nearby and a shopping center is right there.

Note: I don't think you mentioned where in Thailand you are thinking about staying.

Regarding traveling -- it is very reasonable to travel from here. We normally book direct with the airlines. There are sometimes specials that you can find. For instance, earlier this year, Bangkok Air had an offer where you could get one coupon for 50USD in-country and 80USD for international. I'm not 100% sure about the price I quoted, but it is close. They fly to Laos, Cambodia, China, etc. We just happened to see it at the Bangkok Air airline counter in Chiang Mai. Also, Thai Air has some specials in-country sometimes. We, also, found this at an airline counter in Chiang Mai, but we had to get it translated because that was in Thai. Anyway, travel in the area is quite reasonable. We also found some specials on Air France to Vietnam.

Food can be good and really cheap. For us, getting a really good Thai dinner at a place on the river with music - salad like wing bean salad or laab, fish, curry and a vegetable with beer - will easily be less than 20USD. Western food is more expensive. Bangkok has a wide variety of food available with a wide range of prices. It depends what you eat and where you shop.

Not enough information to do a budget, but I hope this helps a little.

For someone who earns so much with so little common sense he deserves to be fleeced a soon as he steps off the plane, I have never heard such rubbish does anyone who really earns at this level spend it all on pointless luxury living without reinvesting/saving a bean. me thinks not. Troll!

Edited by toastwars