Thai Govt Urged To Follow Up On Thaksin Amnesty

webfact

Govt urged to follow up on Thaksin amnesty

By The Nation

In what seems to be a renewed attempt to seek a royal pardon for fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, a pro-red-shirt weekly published an article asking what happened to the petition with 3 million signatures that was submitted two years ago.

The article published in the latest edition of Maha Prachachon, which does not include the author's name, calls on Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and Justice Minister Pracha Promnok to follow up with the Corrections Department, which oversees the royal pardon process and regulations.

The article also provides background information on the much-publicised red-shirt rally in August 2009, during which the petition was handed over to an official of the Royal Household Bureau at the Grand Palace.

Pheu Thai party-list MP Nattawut Saikua said it was the government's responsibility see the progress and report to the public.

Asked whether he would lead red shirts to "seek an answer" from Yingluck or Pracha, Nattawut said: "If I say yes, then the headlines will say that the red shirts use mob rule to press for their demands.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-03

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I guess it must be lost in that great big bureaucratic process that is slowing down all those other cases against Thaksin ;)

If the Red Magazine wants something to write about, why not query the court case against the PAD, I'm sure that one will speed up now eh?

I think you'll find the red shirts are well into the PAD not suffering through the courts too. The ones more likkley to end up on charges are the to date teflon Dems and allies. Note the secret talk with Cambodia thing plays into PAD hatred for the Dems too. Also note that when the Dems shut down nearly all the red TV. The reds to some degree started watching ASTV to get anti-Dem gossip as at this point the Dems and PAD were broken. Im not saying the reds and PAD are allies but they do have a common interest in terms of court cases. No doubt the new government will also unfetter the two bright yellow activists in Cambodia. Its all about reconciliation. On red terms of course but the PAd can probably look forward to some headaches they have going away. Funny that but the dems and estbablishment sacriifced the yellos as a sop to even handedness and now the yellows see a brighter future with a red government

Of course a few things could go wrong as how the return of the evil one is managed with the PAD also being reconciled is a tad difficult but far from impossible.

Charge them all, try them all, let the judiciary sort them out.

That would be a good idea except for:

1. As discussed in the Thai media recently but not in the English language media, most people have lost faith in that institution.

2. One group of players have already given themselves an amnesty through legislation thereby setting a precedent that if you control the legislature giving an amnesty is OK

1. As discussed in the Thai media recently but not in the English language media, most people have lost faith in that institution.

2. One group of players have already given themselves an amnesty through legislation thereby setting a precedent that if you control the legislature giving an amnesty is OK

1/ is it any wonder with members of the Shinawatra clan waltzing of with billions of ill-gained baht and a slap on the wrist at most. When a court does make a anti-PPP/TRT/PTP/Shin decision, it is always due to alleged political interference.

2/ Moral relativity AGAIN. If that situation offends the government, they should rectify it. It does not absolve other crimes.

CD is correct . when the Thai courts start convicting and jailing criminals irrespective of their social standing, connections and wealth, then some confidence will be felt in the courts and Thailand may see REAL democracy. One giant step would be to scrap the statute of limitations applying to people once charges have been laid, as with those pending Thaksin's return. Those PTP supporters that I know freely admit that they know Thaksin is a criminal, though often not the full extent of his crimes, but consider it irrelevant because they know he will never, ever be brought to task.

I am a farang so have no voice in this debate - the Thais are digging the hole themselves , so let them continue to dig and perhaps cause a fatal collapse , or they can stop digging , which , of course , they will not do because their 'paymaster' won't let them.

rolleyes.gif

1/ is it any wonder with members of the Shinawatra clan waltzing of with billions of ill-gained baht and a slap on the wrist at most. When a court does make a anti-PPP/TRT/PTP/Shin decision, it is always due to alleged political interference.

2/ Moral relativity AGAIN. If that situation offends the government, they should rectify it. It does not absolve other crimes.

CD is correct . when the Thai courts start convicting and jailing criminals irrespective of their social standing, connections and wealth, then some confidence will be felt in the courts and Thailand may see REAL democracy. One giant step would be to scrap the statute of limitations applying to people once charges have been laid, as with those pending Thaksin's return. Those PTP supporters that I know freely admit that they know Thaksin is a criminal, though often not the full extent of his crimes, but consider it irrelevant because they know he will never, ever be brought to task.

Your last point is exactly right. Just as those who launch coups will never be and just as people like Chatchai who was at the time labelled the most corrupt man ever found absolution. I cant see anyone letting the coupmeisters lose their amnesty which means it is going to be equalised by Thaksin's return at some point. I guess somewhere along the line Suthep is going to be charged with a bunch of stuff too but never have to worry too much.

I always understood that a Royal Pardon was only available to those who admitted and showed remorse for their crimes.

Not only that but they also have to have served at least part of their sentence. The fact that the person in question chose to ignore the decision made by the nations highest court of law and flee the country won't help either. A royal pardon should not be devalued in this way.

I always understood that a Royal Pardon was only available to those who admitted and showed remorse for their crimes.

"Some believe accepting such a pardon implicitly constitutes an admission of guilt, so in some cases the offer is refused. (Cases of wrongful conviction are nowadays more often dealt with by appeal than by pardon)".

This seems to back up your assertion!!!

If Thaksin feels he has been wrongfully convicted then he should have appealed this - I assume he didn't, as he went on the run as a fugitive and clearly didn't respect the court of law's verdict and didn't go along with judicial process.

The acceptance of a pardon IMPLICITLY constitutes an admission of guilt and Thaksin should refuse the offering of a pardon in such a case whereby he feels he was wrongfully sentenced (in abstentia).

Surely, the issuing of a pardon doesn't have to be accepted by the king if he deems it unworthy and I doubt that he would be in favour of decreeing one to Thaksin anyway as the red shirt's cannot exactly be described as being in favour of the monarchy as witnessed by their rants on stage by a number of the movements leaders, as to the proof of this being the case!!!

I am a farang so have no voice in this debate - the Thais are digging the hole themselves , so let them continue to dig and perhaps cause a fatal collapse , or they can stop digging , which , of course , they will not do because their 'paymaster' won't let them.

rolleyes.gif

Classic case of "newbie gibberish" - I would love to see your other 6 postings!!! EVERYONE has a voice on a debate as that is what debates are for, you know, debate to get your voice and opinion on a matter over to other people to promote your side of events :blink:.

Your posting makes no sense at all I'm afraid. What's all this rubbish about digging holes and paymasters???? Sorry, but you will have to do better than this nonsensical rubbish if anyone is to take you seriously, my friend!!! I'm only responding to this to inform you that you will be ridiculed by postings that attempt to make you look clever but in reality only succeed in having the opposite effect!!!:jap:

Pheu Thai party-list MP Nattawut Saikua said it was the government's responsibility see the progress and report to the public.

Why should it be the government's responsibility?

Because the government is in Thaksin's pocket. They don't have a choice!

I wonder how much they pay for a signature on a petition?

Why should it be the government's responsibility?

Because the government is in Thaksin's pocket. They don't have a choice!

I wonder how much they pay for a signature on a petition?

It depends on how many times you are prepared to sign.

I don't know why they want to go with the royal pardon.

Change the constitution put in an amnesties for everyone, red, yellow and Thaksin and sell it as the big step for uniting Thai people.

At all the media put red polit commissar who ensure honest reports. Additional peoples courts should be founded which takes political cases. Like the punishment of judges who undermines peaceful development of the nation.

For safety on the streets I would found, additional to the police, a peoples police which are accompanied with a red judge to decide the punishment.

I think that Thaksin could come back at any time he wants. The Chief of Police is a relation, the government is in his left pocket, I guess that the courts are in his right pocket going by the recent decisions in his clan's favour, and the Democrats have been squashed under his feet. I almost forgot ... he has his Red Guard to protect him from and to squash protestors.

Edited by renaissanc

Going back to the signatures being submitted for the Thaksin amnesty. May I suggest that the red shirts show how serious they are (as well as proving their intelligence) by submitting them in ALPHABETICAL ORDER. This would also show that the government is consistent. :lol:

I think that Thaksin could come back at any time he wants. The Chief of Police is a relation, the government is in his left pocket, I guess that the courts are in his right pocket going by the recent decisions in his clan's favour, and the Democrats have been squashed under his feet. I almost forgot ... he has his Red Guard to protect him from and to squash protestors.

But what would in his eyes likely raise him above returning as a victorious hero to a far more elevated status would be to come back after having shown patience and magnanimity in forgiving everyone through an amnesty and letting his enemies continue in the game albeit defeated and on his terms. The final act probably doesnt just involve unfettering himself and his acolytes but giving absolution to all the rest in a supreme act of genorosity from a victorious hero. Of course it is also humiliating in the extreme for those who have opposed him as that was meant to be their role when he had served his time outside the country and accepted his penance and of course that imagery is important to the main man. They tried to destroy him and failed but after he won, he still forgave them

Going back to the signatures being submitted for the Thaksin amnesty. May I suggest that the red shirts show how serious they are (as well as proving their intelligence) by submitting them in ALPHABETICAL ORDER. This would also show that the government is consistent. :lol:

Maybe the advise the courts to check politicans corruption charges in alphabetical order.

Abhisit

Somchai

Thaksin

So far Max has ticked two out of the three boxes required to secure his return to LOS. His sister is heading up the government, his (ex) wife's brother is running the police so that just leaves the most problematic of all...the army. Of course in the normal world there would be the small problem of the highest authority of all, the supreme court, but I guess this is what is meant by Miracle Thailand. Hurrah!