Track Tote.. Anyone A Punter ?

LivinLOS

Went to the track yesterday.. Great value (20b !!) afternoon and a fine way to waste a few hours with some beautiful animals on display.

I was trying to understand the tote.. And I think I got some of it but the rest was beyond me. I am more used to UK fractional odds but having had a flutter where decimalized stakes are used I think I have the simple stuff.

Eg.. There were 7 horses running in the race. The screen showed 3 columns of 7.

My confident guess is the first column was the basic 'to win' odds with a multiple of 10b.. so if the showing was 17b or 32b bet 10b win 17b or 32b and any multiple thereof in stake etc. That was a pure on the nose bet.

What baffled me was there were 2 further columns.. Of longer odds.. No clue ??

Couldnt see any each way or place betting ??

There was some form of double... And this appeared to be a pool / Parimutual bet and someone mentioned this was in part why they were pretty slow between each race, to build up a more decent pool pot. But I dont know if this was a daily double as a result of combinations of races or places within a race ?? Strongly suspect it was races but couldnt tell.

I was only along for a looksee, and am not a gambler or track man much.. But its good to have a stake in the race for a touch of excitement. So anyone know the mechanics of the parts I am missing ??

All in all, a real decent afternoon, and a few 'faces' and obvious crazies for a bit of human entertainment too.. Tracks always seem to attract em, the spectacle of the track is rarely just the horses. Once the cooler weather comes along I can see myself dropping along often, great value.

-I went a couple of times as I thouroughly enjoy days at the track. It didn't take long to figure out how the system worked. About 5 minutes before race time there would be a flock of runners who who go up into the stands to talk to the guy who knew who the winner was supposed to be. Then they'd go place his bets for him.

Two anecdotes from my two visits. One, a horse was leading by 5 lengths in the backstretch. His jockey was standing in the stirrups pulling on the reins as hard as he could to get him to slow down, as he wasn't supposed to win that race. On another occasion I saw a beautiful grey horse keel over dead on the parade to post. I imagine they juiced it just a bit too much. It was dragged just off the track and it laid there until the rest of the races had finished. I won't be going back.

-I went a couple of times as I thouroughly enjoy days at the track. It didn't take long to figure out how the system worked. About 5 minutes before race time there would be a flock of runners who who go up into the stands to talk to the guy who knew who the winner was supposed to be. Then they'd go place his bets for him.

Two anecdotes from my two visits. One, a horse was leading by 5 lengths in the backstretch. His jockey was standing in the stirrups pulling on the reins as hard as he could to get him to slow down, as he wasn't supposed to win that race. On another occasion I saw a beautiful grey horse keel over dead on the parade to post. I imagine they juiced it just a bit too much. It was dragged just off the track and it laid there until the rest of the races had finished. I won't be going back.

I went once and saw like you an horse being pulled back as hard as possible as it wasn't suppose to win and it was a few lenghts in front. Also on the same day they had a race with 9 runners but only had 8 stalls, they set the 8 horses running, then put the 9th horse in the stall and set that off maybe 40 seconds behind the others. Im glad I didn't see the sight you saw though with a dead horse. :(

What baffled me was there were 2 further columns.. Of longer odds.. No clue

That would be the odds for Place. Yes It's anice place to spend a saturday afternoon. :)

I doubt it would be for place as place would be shorter odds.

They are not giving higher payouts for place than they are for the win.

Two anecdotes from my two visits. One, a horse was leading by 5 lengths in the backstretch. His jockey was standing in the stirrups pulling on the reins as hard as he could to get him to slow down, as he wasn't supposed to win that race.

I suspected that a Thai track wouldnt be the place to find clear and transparent systems.. But not like those dont happen (to a lesser degree maybe) elsewhere.

Sad to hear of the horses demise tho.. Not happy to witness that.

What baffled me was there were 2 further columns.. Of longer odds.. No clue

That would be the odds for Place. Yes It's anice place to spend a saturday afternoon. :)

I doubt it would be for place as place would be shorter odds.

They are not giving higher payouts for place than they are for the win.

He hasn't got a clue on most things, I think he just makes it up as he goes along :whistling: