Am I Looseing My Marbles

meatboy

Of course there ARE some advantages... I can get three 40 kilogram Thai women for the price of one average 80 kilogram American woman. :lol:

Ian, you are slipping mate....thought you would have negociated...buy 2 and get the 3rd one free :cheesy:

but i see where your coming from..and they don't have the same baggage as the western product either ;)

It's actually a pretty good deal for all of us. I pay 50% more than I pay for one and I get three, and they just share. We all go home happy. And yes, rentals don't come with baggage. That is why I never could understand the sin sod. I just settle for the sin. Others can have the sod.

I wasn't kidding about the price for one average, 80 kilogram American woman. Have you ever priced out a good night on the town in an American city? And, there is no guarantees about what happens later, either. I won't even go into the ridiculous cost of getting married... for love or otherwise.

True ..The only cool thing about THL's sex industry is that relieve women from jerks ... here promiscuous men don't have to take you to dinners or movies or pretend to be interested in you to have sex.

True ..The only cool thing about THL's sex industry is that relieve women from jerks ... here promiscuous men don't have to take you to dinners or movies or pretend to be interested in you to have sex.

That is for sure, Aneliane. It works both ways. You can spend time with someone interesting (any sex, any age) without any pretense or playing games. There are no suggestive "moves" or inuendos. If you have a mutual interest there is no play acting and you can discuss all sorts of deep, ineresting subjects without thinking of romance. It cuts out all the BS and the games of trying to manipulate someone. I've traveled with many women of all ages where there is no intention of having sex. Because there were limited accommodations, I've even shared the same bed as them without having sex. Having sex with someone often ruins a good friendship.

That is for sure, Aneliane. It works both ways. You can spend time with someone interesting (any sex, any age) without any pretense or playing games. There are no suggestive "moves" or inuendos. If you have a mutual interest there is no play acting and you can discuss all sorts of deep, ineresting subjects without thinking of romance. It cuts out all the BS and the games of trying to manipulate someone. I've traveled with many women of all ages where there is no intention of having sex. Because there were limited accommodations, I've even shared the same bed as them without having sex. Having sex with someone often ruins a good friendship.

wow very profound Ian...been there done that..BUT often wonder if he lady(s) thought I was a homosexual...have had a couple of 'em actually ask in a circumspect way..."are we gonna dance and talk all night or f.."? The intelligent/interlectual types being the most agressive...

Not sure why the lady A' believes that any guy who wishes ultimately to bed her is automatically a "jerk" though?? Is there such a thing as a non promiscuous male ( chance and opportunity not withstanding???) Thin on the ground methinks....

wow very profound Ian...been there done that..BUT often wonder if he lady(s) thought I was a homosexual...have had a couple of 'em actually ask in a circumspect way..."are we gonna dance and talk all night or f.."? The intelligent/interlectual types being the most agressive...

Not sure why the lady A' believes that any guy who wishes ultimately to bed her is automatically a "jerk" though?? Is there such a thing as a non promiscuous male ( chance and opportunity not withstanding???) Thin on the ground methinks....

I was referring to the fact that most men in "rich" countries, (where prostitution is not cheap) have to resort to what I call "fake dating " ie chat up a woman, invite her for a meal or a movie and pretend they are romantically interested when in fact they just want to have one night stand /sex .

I deservedly call these people "jerks" because they are only trying to save money: A decent prostitute in Paris for a night is at least 200 euros, whilst a dinner or a movie around 70 or even 40 if you are a cheap jerk.

The guy does not want to bed "me", he just needs sex and that could be with anyone.

Yes I have met some none promiscuous men, not many, I agree but they do exist.

I was once in a bar in Thailand where ordering a jug cost more than buying individual beers of the same amount of beer.

We tried to explain, but it fell on deaf ears. We got strange looks when we ordered individual beers.

I remember a few years ago a store had bottles of chang for 30 baht or 3 for 100 :lol:

The smaller items are over-produced so need to be shifted quickly from the shelves? The larger packages can afford to hang around on the shelves as there are less of them - not so many being produced.

When you see all the buy one get one free type promotions its usually because the producer has produced too many and they need to be sold quickly rather than run a loss. Either that or they are promoting a new product that the producer can break-even on to get interest.

Then factor in western and eastern shopping styles. Historically the west tend to horde items as we have dramatic harvest seasons whilst countries like Thailand have good produce all year round so only tend to buy what they need for the day, with the exception or rice, which is always cheaper to buy in bulk..

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Of course there ARE some advantages... I can get three 40 kilogram Thai women for the price of one average 80 kilogram American woman. :lol:

Just as I thought.

Females are just looked upon as commodities. :rolleyes:

Quite developed and advanced.;)

The smaller items are over-produced so need to be shifted quickly from the shelves? The larger packages can afford to hang around on the shelves as there are less of them - not so many being produced.

When you see all the buy one get one free type promotions its usually because the producer has produced too many and they need to be sold quickly rather than run a loss. Either that or they are promoting a new product that the producer can break-even on to get interest.

Then factor in western and eastern shopping styles. Historically the west tend to horde items as we have dramatic harvest seasons whilst countries like Thailand have good produce all year round so only tend to buy what they need for the day, with the exception or rice, which is always cheaper to buy in bulk..

A 100kg sack of rice was the biggest mistake of my limited amateur greengrocing career; the supermarkets can buy, stock and sell rice very efficiently, and it is very difficult to compete; its also a commodity that forms a very easy basis for comparison, so again, they supermarkets focus on getting that price to the minimum. And whether they have a 100 10 kg bags, or 200 5 kg bags, its still a pallet-ful, so they can sell relatively small packets very competitively. Similarly onions proved a big mistake.

Anyway, by way of a digression back to the original topic - how many of us still have our marbles? I frear for the decline of nostalgia in the modern age when a topic such as this has gone so long with with no-one waxing eloquent on the marbles of their youth, or how they loosed them competitively in juvenile combat.

Maybe most of the posters are too old to remember when they were young, though if my memory of my dear old grandmother serves me correctly that seems scarcely believeable. Maybe they are not old enough to remember when they were young, though given their posting history, again it seems scarcely credible. Maybe they were all too poor to have marbles, or they are just embarrassed about losing them. Maybe Lord Elgin has them all...

SC

So let's see, what did I learn today from Thai Visa

1/ Thai are stupid and they " cant add up divide subtract etc etc"

2/ There is a new verb : to loose / looseing

3/ American women are fat and Thai ladies are slim "... three 40 kilogram Thai women for the price of one average 80 kilogram American woman. :) " and this is apparently hilarious.

Thank you Thai Visa !

To be honest often i encounter many Thai's who cant subtract divide ect. I am not sure how it is currently in my country with the younger generation. I do know that older people in general were better skilled in calculations without a calculator as the younger generation.

Its true that the average European / American is heavier then the average Thai.

We also learned in this thread that the French have no sense of humor :D

Anyway if i know you a bit im sure you do all the calculations to see if you can save a bit. I do them too because i hate paying too much when its not necessary.

I prefer saving 50% (instead of giving my money to centrals who reduce little producers to starvation and kill local agriculture) and go to the market instead.

I was once in a bar in Thailand where ordering a jug cost more than buying individual beers of the same amount of beer.

We tried to explain, but it fell on deaf ears. We got strange looks when we ordered individual beers.

I remember a few years ago a store had bottles of chang for 30 baht or 3 for 100 :lol:

They're assuming you'd be too pissed to notice. :D

We also learned in this thread that the French have no sense of humor :D

Nor soap :D

Or toothbrush, toothpaste, or any toiletries, we just put expensive Chanel to cover the smells !

Mmm....There's nothing quite like the smell of BO and raging halitosis mingling with a liberal dash of No.5. :D

I remember that, also, and I DID have a laugh... just as I laugh at a lot of topics here. After all, it IS just for entertainment. I seldom take anything too seriously, and I enjoy bantering with people who are smart enough to not get upset and just play the game. Any serious questions that need an answer are usually answered in sub-forums. Life is too short to get upset by what someone says on an internet site.

But, back on topic... Marketers are always trying to think of ways to increase profits and customers have to be smart enough to stay ahead of the game. Why get upset about it? When things are too expensive I just go somewhere else. But, sometimes if I want something and don't want to take the time to go elsewhere I will just pay what the marketer wants. I don't get too upset about double pricing in Thailand. The total amount is usually so little that it is not going to make much difference to my budget. When you pay attention to prices as I do it doesn't take long to learn where things are cheaper. Many times I have shopped in Canada for items I know I can buy in Thailand. That is because the excessive Thai duties on imported items from China are more than they are in Canada.

I remember that, also, and I DID have a laugh... just as I laugh at a lot of topics here. After all, it IS just for entertainment. I seldom take anything too seriously, and I enjoy bantering with people who are smart enough to not get upset and just play the game. Any serious questions that need an answer are usually answered in sub-forums. Life is too short to get upset by what someone says on an internet site.

But, back on topic... Marketers are always trying to think of ways to increase profits and customers have to be smart enough to stay ahead of the game. Why get upset about it? When things are too expensive I just go somewhere else. But, sometimes if I want something and don't want to take the time to go elsewhere I will just pay what the marketer wants. I don't get too upset about double pricing in Thailand. The total amount is usually so little that it is not going to make much difference to my budget. When you pay attention to prices as I do it doesn't take long to learn where things are cheaper. Many times I have shopped in Canada for items I know I can buy in Thailand. That is because the excessive Thai duties on imported items from China are more than they are in Canada.

Good for you if you are rich and don't mind paying double, I am not !

streetcowboy asks how many of us still have some marbles left,i got a few bompers,remember them they would smash those glass ones.oh well lets go and see whats on offer today.wouldnt suprise me to see one for the price of two.

So let's see, what did I learn today from Thai Visa

1/ Thai are stupid and they " cant add up divide subtract etc etc"

2/ There is a new verb : to loose / looseing

3/ American women are fat and Thai ladies are slim "... three 40 kilogram Thai women for the price of one average 80 kilogram American woman. :) " and this is apparently hilarious.

Thank you Thai Visa !

'' Loosen up '' :rolleyes:

streetcowboy asks how many of us still have some marbles left,i got a few bompers,remember them they would smash those glass ones.oh well lets go and see whats on offer today.wouldnt suprise me to see one for the price of two.

"Buy one, get one", is my favourite special offer from Singapore.

Or "Buy two, get one", now I recall...

SC

I'm not rich. I just know value for my money. I'm not going to visit a national park every day and the $10 to $15 price is what I pay just for city parking in Canada. I can buy a hamburger for $3 in Canada... the same as I pay for a hamburger in Thailand. But, I choose to buy a Thai meal instead that costs me about $1 (30 baht). I buy fruit in Thailand for about 1/2 to 2/3 the price that I pay in Canada. Fuel for my motorbike in Thailand cost about the same as it does in Canada. But, I can ride around for a week without filling up the tank. I can rent a nice room in Chiang Mai for a month for the same price as it costs me to pay for internet, TV and telephone in Canada for a month. My friend does my laundry for less than I can do it for myself in Canada. I actually give what little money I have away to Thais who need it more than me. When I travel around Thailand it only costs me a few hundred dollars to fly down to the resort areas. And, when I am there I can rent a reasonable room for $10 to $20 a day. And, I can rent a scooter for 200 baht a day if I want to go outside the local districts. I walk around Thailand feeling like I am a king of all I survey. It is just a state of mind. I have the freedom to go anywhere I please, when I want and with or without someone I choose to bring with me. I don't worry about the cheap charlies, or the petty people who worry too much about minor things. Life is for enjoying to the fullest. When you are on your death bed you won't be wishing you had earned a few more dollars.

I'm not rich. I just know value for my money. I'm not going to visit a national park every day and the $10 to $15 price is what I pay just for city parking in Canada. I can buy a hamburger for $3 in Canada... the same as I pay for a hamburger in Thailand. But, I choose to buy a Thai meal instead that costs me about $1 (30 baht). I buy fruit in Thailand for about 1/2 to 2/3 the price that I pay in Canada. Fuel for my motorbike in Thailand cost about the same as it does in Canada. But, I can ride around for a week without filling up the tank. I can rent a nice room in Chiang Mai for a month for the same price as it costs me to pay for internet, TV and telephone in Canada for a month. My friend does my laundry for less than I can do it for myself in Canada. I actually give what little money I have away to Thais who need it more than me. When I travel around Thailand it only costs me a few hundred dollars to fly down to the resort areas. And, when I am there I can rent a reasonable room for $10 to $20 a day. And, I can rent a scooter for 200 baht a day if I want to go outside the local districts. I walk around Thailand feeling like I am a king of all I survey. It is just a state of mind. I have the freedom to go anywhere I please, when I want and with or without someone I choose to bring with me. I don't worry about the cheap charlies, or the petty people who worry too much about minor things. Life is for enjoying to the fullest. When you are on your death bed you won't be wishing you had earned a few more dollars.

Well again, good for you, you have a nice life style, not everyone has or can afford living like you do.

Well again, good for you, you have a nice life style, not everyone has or can afford living like you do.

I do have a nice life and I know it, but I also know how little it costs to live if you can get by with the simple things in life. I have a few friends who are truly wealthy and another aquaintance who is a bonefide billionare. Garth has homes in varous states, a couple of yachts, a trophy wife, gawd knows how many fancy cars and yet tells me he sometimes envys my life style... even though he could purchase most of what I own with just his pocket change. Garth is tied to the business empire he has built and he needs to constantly manage it. I just go off whenever I feel like it. I am just as happy (if not more so) sitting aroung a campfire with good friends as I am in a 5 star hotel with maids and servents running around.

I do have a nice life and I know it, but I also know how little it costs to live if you can get by with the simple things in life. I have a few friends who are truly wealthy and another aquaintance who is a bonefide billionare. Garth has homes in varous states, a couple of yachts, a trophy wife, gawd knows how many fancy cars and yet tells me he sometimes envys my life style... even though he could purchase most of what I own with just his pocket change. Garth is tied to the business empire he has built and he needs to constantly manage it. I just go off whenever I feel like it. I am just as happy (if not more so) sitting aroung a campfire with good friends as I am in a 5 star hotel with maids and servents running around.

Utter rubbish. One needs to be fairly wealthy (and have no pets) to be able to travel all the time.

A friend of mine brought it home recently when he told me he was travelling looking for a 'soul mate' .... I understand his need but also KNOW that he is not going to find one by travelling....

Utter rubbish. One needs to be fairly wealthy (and have no pets) to be able to travel all the time.

A friend of mine brought it home recently when he told me he was travelling looking for a 'soul mate' .... I understand his need but also KNOW that he is not going to find one by travelling....

Define what you call wealthy. I live alone. I have no mortgage on my home in Canada and I have a very modest pension that I earned after working for 40 years in the forest industry. My only expenses are food that I cook for myself, taxes on my property and fuel for my 10 year old truck. I just came back from a two week fishing trip in my truck and camper and it cost less than $600 for everything. If I discount the $1400 cost of a return flight to Thailand I actually save money by staying in Thailand for the winter.

I agree that finding a soul mate when traveling is not realistic. But, the unusual often happens so I won't say it can't be done. That doesn't mean you can't meet and enjoy a lot of people along the way. I could have been married a hundred times over just on my travels through South East Asia, but none of them would have been "soul mates"...they would just be women who wanted to marry someone who would support them. I have no illusions about love and true romance.

As much as I love animals, I agree about the pets.

But, this is straying a long way off the original topic of the cost of bulk items in Thailand as compared to individual costs for smaller amounts. I have no logical explanation for this oddity in Thai marketing, but I see it all the time.

Anyhow, you must have heard of credit crunch, global economic crisis, and realize that having a pension and a house these days is considered as lucky or enviable by most.

Anyhow, you must have heard of credit crunch, global economic crisis, and realize that having a pension and a house these days is considered as lucky or enviable by most.

I worry we're straying from the topic of marbles. Or for those that prefer steelies (I believe bompers sometimes refer to steelies), losing our bearings.

I wonder if anyone has entertaining anecdotes regarding losing their marbles, or their bearings? I have one (possibly not entertaining) regarding losing my bearings, and subsequently, front teeth, the moral of which is

"Things can always be worse. Much worse"

SC

I worry we're straying from the topic of marbles. Or for those that prefer steelies (I believe bompers sometimes refer to steelies), losing our bearings.

I wonder if anyone has entertaining anecdotes regarding losing their marbles, or their bearings? I have one (possibly not entertaining) regarding losing my bearings, and subsequently, front teeth, the moral of which is

"Things can always be worse. Much worse"

SC

I've still got a big bowl of marbles. My grand daughter likes to play with them when she comes to visit. My "steelies" were kept in a separate leather pouch as a weapon. It can do serious damage without leaving many marks.

• 3 weeks later...

once again i am baffled by a consumer issue,this week i went to our local supermarket for some pork,for the fist time i fancied some pork chops,this is what i found,pork loin no bone fat trimmed off 100%meat 130bht kilo down from 160bht,pork ribs with about 40-50% bone 185bht a kilo,but when i found some pork chops 25-35% bone and fat 225bht kilo,why are the bones so exspensive/ now my marbles are rearly starting to rattle again.