Is This Spider Poisonous / Dangerous?

kunash

Despite the fuzzy photo in the intial post, I believe Poorsucker is correct... it's a Huntsman spider. Most spiders will leave you alone if you leave them alone. They only bite if you accidently brush them with a bare arm. I've picked up the Huntsman spiders and taken them outside without them biting me. The easiest method is covering them with a glass and then slipping a piece of paper underneath as a stopper. I've moved venomous Funnelweb spiders and Black widows that way.

To the best of my knowledge there aren't any poisonous/venomous spiders in Thailand.

Anyone know different?

The most dangerous spiders in Thailand are mainly forest dwellers. Some Tarantula species have a reputation for aggression and the bites are painful and best treated in hospital with anti-venom. Symptoms can include swelling, exhaustion, muscle cramping, difficulty breathing and fever. Sometimes, these occur days after the bite.

For your safety, empty out shoes and shake clothes before wearing, especially in rural areas!

Source

Thailand Spiders

Bird Spiders

Size: < 10 cm

Danger level: harmless

The spiders in Thailand do have poison, however it is so mild that it is comparable to the sting of a bee or a wasp. The bite is painful but harmless, however some people might develop an allergic reaction. The bite should therefore be immediately disinfected.

For conservation reasons please do not kill these animals, but catch them and free them into the wild.

siam info

To the best of my knowledge there aren't any poisonous/venomous spiders in Thailand.

Anyone know different?

The Thailand black tarantula is notoriously aggressive, so much so that among collectors they are known as the 'evil spider'

Unlikely to be too dangerous unless you have an allergic reaction, it be mightily painful though.

Anyone know different?

The most dangerous spiders in Thailand are mainly forest dwellers. Some Tarantula species have a reputation for aggression and the bites are painful and best treated in hospital with anti-venom. Symptoms can include swelling, exhaustion, muscle cramping, difficulty breathing and fever. Sometimes, these occur days after the bite.

For your safety, empty out shoes and shake clothes before wearing, especially in rural areas!

Source

Thailand Spiders

Bird Spiders

Size: < 10 cm

Danger level: harmless

The spiders in Thailand do have poison, however it is so mild that it is comparable to the sting of a bee or a wasp. The bite is painful but harmless, however some people might develop an allergic reaction. The bite should therefore be immediately disinfected.

For conservation reasons please do not kill these animals, but catch them and free them into the wild.

siam info

Thanks for that Ty, very informative. But we are talking about the deep forest areas aren't we (where some still have tigers) not likely to find a tarantula wandering around the moo ban?

(it's the centipedes that scare the crap out of me anyway)

Anyone know different?

The Thailand black tarantula is notoriously aggressive, so much so that among collectors they are known as the 'evil spider'

Unlikely to be too dangerous unless you have an allergic reaction, it be mightily painful though.

That's interesting cos like a previous poster I'd often wondered whether these large spiders were actually harmful.

Going to bed last night (in the dark) I 'hit' something with my hand as I opened the door! Fortunately I am far more 'easy going' nowadays and just brushed it aside. It was a butterfly...

Large spiders? I give them a wide berth or release them outside if they are in the house.

Thanks for that Ty, very informative. But we are talking about the deep forest areas aren't we (where some still have tigers) not likely to find a tarantula wandering around the moo ban?

(it's the centipedes that scare the crap out of me anyway)

I once saw a Thai black tarantula pottering about in a Pattaya Moo Ban, walked right in front of me.

Agree about the centipedes - they are pretty much the only things that worry me nowadays.

Snakes? Seen LOTS of harmless golden tree snakes and 3 cobras. If I'm 'out and about' in un-cut grass, I stamp my feet. I know they're there, but I also know they want to avoid me!

Spiders? Have only had the odd huntsmen in the house and I NOW know they are not a problem. Thank you Thai Visa!

I've only seen 2 centipedes (both relatively recently). The first whilst walking the dogs (it had been driven out by building work), the second on my drive.

the best one is the Golden Orb, they are about 12 inches long, the last one i saw had a web of about 10ft by 6ft, it was eating a dove at the time.They are harmless as long as you leave them alone.

They are really nice (or scary) looking.

Seen this size on Samui.

1.1305054469.een-golden-orb-spider.jpg

Never seen like this one from Australia.

golden-orb-weaver-eating-bird-231x300.jpg

Anyone know different?

Ehhh, to my knowledge, ALL spiders (with very few exceptions) are venomous. But obviously you are referring to spiders that can be harmful to humans, and if I'm not totally wrong there are a couple, but the damage is something in the region of getting stung by a wasp. So I have heard, anyway...

the best one is the Golden Orb, they are about 12 inches long, the last one i saw had a web of about 10ft by 6ft, it was eating a dove at the time.They are harmless as long as you leave them alone.

They are really nice (or scary) looking.

Seen this size on Samui.

1.1305054469.een-golden-orb-spider.jpg

Never seen like this one from Australia.

golden-orb-weaver-eating-bird-231x300.jpg

Dude, that's just awesome!

Anyone know different?

Ehhh, to my knowledge, ALL spiders (with very few exceptions) are venomous.

Righty Oh (ants probably the same then)..... so, when articles say there are no venomous ones, what they should really say is that there are none that are dangerous to humans, short of an adverse allergic reaction.

I found this page quite interesting.....http://www.burkemuseum.org/spidermyth/myths/downunder.html