Baiyooke Sky Buffet Rip Off

ozsamurai

Too bad for you...the "fish tank" is really cool!

Happy for you-had my fill of aquariums and the like as a kid, can't see paying double the price to see the same thing here in a shopping mall here now. Same goes for some wax statues of dead singers and the sort.

For me its often not the price but the (in my eyes) unfairness of it. I just don't go unless i absolutely have too.

I love fish but i rather see them while diving or snorkeling.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went there about 6 months ago Thai girlfriend booked for me and another farang thai couple. We were charged 800baht.

Only really went because of the view and novelty.

Food was very average but then again i am not a big fan of buffets anyway.

Surprised to hear the price is 550 baht!

2 Thais @ 550 1100Bht

2 farang @ 1100 2200 Baht,

4 people 3300Bht = 825 each..... nothing odd there, they just didn't tell you in the bill.

Oz

You could be right there.

I wasn't really paying much attention to the bill just remember that is was 800 baht a head.

To be fair you are really paying for the novelty aspect and you get similar type food and deals in many countries. Tourist rip offs are common all around the world.

But double pricing for food is totally out of order.

Ya 1100 for that food is mental. It was good when I went there way, way back in 2003 but not that good, unless something has changed?

We did not pay much back then, I can't remember exactly but it definitely was around 400 baht for each one of us. Serious price rise since then!

And we were all foreigners, all working in Bangkok, but I don't even remember trying to prove we were worked there or anything, I think that was just the price for anyone then, unless I'm mistaken.

1100 baht! Way way too much...

gee, what are the chances things are different after 8 years?

I have been to Baiyooke Sky Buffet with a Thai male friend and we only paid 550THB. I'm guessing that I didn't get overcharged cause I was with a Thai Male? blink.gif

Must have been an oversight. that normally doesn't work.

The worst place for all of this, IMHO is the aquarium under Siam Paragon.

They always seem to have one or two attendants who's job it is to demand information from foreigners.

I went there a couple of times with my adult Thai son, his wife and their young daughter. On both occasions the staff abruptly and rudely questioned me, in English.

On one occasion my son (who's face is very Thai) explained that the farang was his father and my son produced his Thai ID card with his obviously western surname. The attendant looked at the the Thai ID card, then looked at my son and me and said 'So, your not really Thai!' On the same occasion I produced my permanent resident book, but the girl just kept saying rudely 'work permit', and all at the same time she's rudely questioning several more western people.

Bottom line, my granddaughter loves to visit this venue and see the fish, sharks, etc., and we always do things as a family, but we decided that in the future they will go alone, and I go shopping until they are finished.

Bottom line for me: not much point in trying to fight the dual pricing stuff, annoying, but get on with life, and don't patronize places like Bayoke, the food is not great anyway, and there are many more nice places to eat.

simply put, i find this very difficult to believe .

i have been going to Ocean World almost monthly with my child for the last 3 years and have never been badgered, overcharged, disrespected or even spoken to by anyone on staff after the cashier has taken my money *local price*

You have been to Ocean World 36 times? Holy smoke, even the invertebrates must recognize you by now!

lets say over 20 easily, perhaps more. I do get out of town occasionally. and i did say almost monthly.

"Dual pricing for anything other than national parks etc is unacceptable"

Sorry, I'm new here. Why is it acceptable at national parks?

For the same reason why local residents in many western countries have free access or reduced prices to local attractions (e.g. state parks in the USA, musuems etc.) It is part of the social contract whereby the locals either directly or indirectly subsidize the facilities.

Two tiered pricing in Thai restaurants is unacceptable, although I am sympathetic as it seems some of the foreigners "eat for two" whereas the slim Thais do not have the same tendancy to over eat.

Have you ever seen Thais at an '139bt all you eat bbq'? I watched one guy and his GF who were about 5' 3" load a table for 4 up with food and demolish the lot.

and all the ketchup

What amazes me about this outfit is that they simply don't reply to emails on this subject, nor do they respond to comments on their public Facebook page.

I think that any business that relies on fleecing tourists and resident ex-pats must have a death wish or at least a very strange business model.

Thankfully Bangkok is awash with quality restaurants who provide good food and good value for money for all

Went there about 6 months ago Thai girlfriend booked for me and another farang thai couple. We were charged 800baht.

Only really went because of the view and novelty.

Food was very average but then again i am not a big fan of buffets anyway.

Surprised to hear the price is 550 baht!

2 Thais @ 550 1100Bht

2 farang @ 1100 2200 Baht,

4 people 3300Bht = 825 each..... nothing odd there, they just didn't tell you in the bill.

Oz

You could be right there.

I wasn't really paying much attention to the bill just remember that is was 800 baht a head.

To be fair you are really paying for the novelty aspect and you get similar type food and deals in many countries. Tourist rip offs are common all around the world.

But double pricing for food is totally out of order.

Well some one has to pay double, for all those locals that put vertical stiff lettuce leaves (Cos Lettuce) around their salad dish,which allows a double portion in a single dish,a common sight in Pizza Hut,Sizzlers, and similar venues,with help yourself Salad Bars!

when it's a takeaway the checkout people can't close the box,unless they squash the lot down,into a mess.As common a sight as 4 on a Motorcycle.