Traffic Laws In Thailand And The Reality What Realy Happen?!

Sandman77

Hello!

can some one give a overview,about the traffic lawas in thailand,most people drive to quickly,dont care espasaly in parttaya when someone want walk over the street,in samui ,i see from the song thail,around 20 police man catch 40 farrangs out of the traffice payintg fine,when the have no helmet,but after the payed,the drive away again withouth the helmet!

i think most of the traffic laws in thailand,are ineffective,and no one take care about this,because of the reason ,the fine,are to low,comparing to other countrys in asia malaysia etc!

but what be intresting to know,what the law of the traffic in thailand says breaking the speed limiit driving withouth licence etc!?

in the travel books i read,when i exident happen,in thailand,the farang,is always the bad one,and have no right in this country,this the reason why many peaple leave the exident scene quickly,before the police coming!

Just a quick one......

Do Thais have to take a driving test? Do they use L plates , any qualified driving schools in Thailand that actually teach driving skills ?

If no to any of the above, nuff said really what do expect then !!

More deaths/accidents absolutely certain !

Just a quick one......

Do Thais have to take a driving test? Do they use L plates , any qualified driving schools in Thailand that actually teach driving skills ?

Yes to all the above actually.

Just a quick one......

Yes to all the above actually.

Interesting, many thanks, never seen anubody with L plates on the there vehicles?. It fair to say there arent many learner drivers out here OR they just dont bother .

Cheers

Thai traffic laws are actually fairly similar to what you find in Western countries. Trouble is they are rarely enforced, except when the BiB need more teabags.

There are driving schools, but what they teach is how the vehicle controls work, and low speed driving, like getting in & out of parking spots, reversing etc.

The Thai driving test consists of

1. a morning watching CCTV footage of motorcyclists dying in high speed collisions at traffic lights & similar

2. A 30 question multiple choice test on the meaning of road signs, markings etc

3. A practical demonstration that you can reverse, and get in & out of a couple of parking spaces without knocking any cones over.

The concept of interacting with other road users is something you learn after you've passed your test. Notice the huge number of drivers who have no understanding of anticipation - eg they race up behind a slower moving vehicle, slam on the brakes to match speeds about 3 feet behind the other vehicle, and only then start to think about overtaking.

Thai traffic laws are actually fairly similar to what you find in Western countries. Trouble is they are rarely enforced, except when the BiB need more teabags.

There are driving schools, but what they teach is how the vehicle controls work, and low speed driving, like getting in & out of parking spots, reversing etc.

The Thai driving test consists of

1. a morning watching CCTV footage of motorcyclists dying in high speed collisions at traffic lights & similar

2. A 30 question multiple choice test on the meaning of road signs, markings etc

3. A practical demonstration that you can reverse, and get in & out of a couple of parking spaces without knocking any cones over.

The concept of interacting with other road users is something you learn after you've passed your test. Notice the huge number of drivers who have no understanding of anticipation - eg they race up behind a slower moving vehicle, slam on the brakes to match speeds about 3 feet behind the other vehicle, and only then start to think about overtaking.

However there is not much for him to think about. No check-mirror. No indicators. Just manouvre and get that rusty bucket out there in the fast lane.

Edit: Should read - get that rusty bucket into the inside lane to undertake.

Edited by Farang0tang

Just a quick one......

To answer your questions.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3.Yes

Obeying traffic laws, indeed any laws in Thailand is not compulsory.

They're more like "The Pirates Code" where the pirates in this case are the police imposing 'spot' fines.

Correct. The laws are just recommendations. :D

Or, the rules of the road [less laws enforced] are made up at the moment.

Just a quick one......

To answer your questions.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3.Yes

I should have asked whether the ThaI driving test is a "meaningful test" the post from farangatang summed it up really...

eg I can play golf but only ever hit two balls does that make me a Golfer suppose it does really LOL

Been driving for 40 years, does that make me a good driver? thats for other people to decide...

You are dead right, the answer to my question is three yeses, (sort of, if you get my drift)

Many thanks

Paul

Wonder if there is the comparative studious research available that might unveil such truths [or even myths] of those civilisations and highly touted vehicular laws and regulations as opposed to those lower civilisations that play it by the back of their seat.

Just from simple observations, it seems to me that those cultures that find it necessary to overburden the population with latent suppressed vehicular codes of every type and flavour will find poorer operating habits and accidents of every description than those of their respective counterparts.....