Fastest Way From Airport To Kata

modafinil

I was trying to figure out the fastest way from Phuket Airport to Kata. I reckon for Karon (and Patong, Kamala etc) the fastest way is to turn right in Thalang and head down through Cherngtalay and Surin.

But Kata might just be far enough down the coast that the faster road of Thep Krassatri (402) might end up being quicker, especially by car.

What surprised me was that I assumed the quickest route would be to turn off down the bypass road and keep motoring on past Wat Chalong and Big Buddha to Chalong Circle. But Google Maps reckons that it's faster to avoid the bypass road and head straight through Phuket Town to Chalong Circle.

So which way is quickest - any ideas?

Funny you should ask..

The other day Nicky's Taxi Lambo and Ferrari passed me on the airport road at such a high rate of speed it literally made the gf scream out loud. It is by far the fastest way from the airport to anywhere in Phuket. :)

http://www.cathyandgarystravelpages.com/ferrari_rides.htm

Seriously though, going through Chalong to get to Kata/Karon is the only way. No one goes down the coast unless it's for the scenery. Way longer. I have noticed that about Google maps before too. It's useless for directions in Phuket.

Funny you should ask..

The other day Nicky's Taxi Lambo and Ferrari passed me on the airport road at such a high rate of speed it literally made the gf scream out loud. It is by far the fastest way from the airport to anywhere in Phuket. :)

http://www.cathyandgarystravelpages.com/ferrari_rides.htm

Seriously though, going through Chalong to get to Kata/Karon is the only way. No one goes down the coast unless it's for the scenery. Way longer. I have noticed that about Google maps before too. It's useless for directions in Phuket.

LOL! I'll have to stop by and say hi to my old friend Nicky! I haven't been by in a few years. Mostly because I avoid Patong like the plague it has become. Nice to see he is still doing very well!

As SB says, fastest way is by far via Tepkasatri Road and Chalong. Takes me about 45 minutes on normal days.

45 minutes in the daytime with the normal amount of traffic plus traffic lights

How do you do it by tailgating a airport limousine driver

Which is Tepkasatri road, is it the extension of the bypass road to Chalong circle

As SB says, fastest way is by far via Tepkasatri Road and Chalong. Takes me about 45 minutes on normal days.

Is that in your salaeng?

Seriously, 45 minutes? It can take that long from Tesco Lotus on a bad day. An hour is more realistic except very early mornings.

Is that in your salaeng?

Seriously, 45 minutes? It can take that long from Tesco Lotus on a bad day. An hour is more realistic except very early mornings.

Sometimes a bit longer, sometimes (nighttime/early morning) a bit less. On busy times normally 60 minutes, but yes, sometimes even more.

Is that in your salaeng?

Sometimes a bit longer, sometimes (nighttime/early morning) a bit less. On busy times normally 60 minutes, but yes, sometimes even more.

seconded

off rush hours, 45 min by car or 35 min by bike

early morning or late night, less, rush hours up to double by car

and no doubt bypass and chalong circle is fastest route, no idea what google is on about in Thailand, usually wrong.

garmin ok tho

It seems like everybody is in agreement that the bypass road is the quickest way. Thanks!

I was interested in ScubaBuddha's comment that this would also be a faster route to Karon. I'm pretty sure that it's not up for debate that turning right in Thalang will get you to Bangtao, Surin and Kamala more quickly than any other route - although if you think I'm wrong please say!

I would also say that the coast road was the fastest way to Patong - turning right off the bypass road at the Tesco Lotus and heading straight for Patong adds a lot of time to your journey, and the road from Tesco to Patong is not super-quick. But if you disagree I would be interested to hear why.

I am of the belief that the coast road is as quick or quicker than the bypass road for getting to Karon - but I wouldn't expect everybody to agree with that!

I am of the belief that the coast road is as quick or quicker than the bypass road for getting to Karon - but I wouldn't expect everybody to agree with that!

Speaking from experience: via Chalong is faster. First of all part of Karon is attached to Kata, so to the Southern part of Karon the decision is easy, and even to the center of Karon via Chalong will be considerably faster.

To Patong: I have had taxi's delivering guests there via the coast road, and that takes a lot longer than the turn off at Tesco. But can't compare the times here from recent personal experience.

Tried it both ways many times. Might be about the same to Patong, but much longer on the coast road to Kata. Lot depends on the traffic as it's not easy to overtake on the coast road.

Helicopter would be the fastest.

That sounds like a good Top Gear Challenge.

Is that in your salaeng?

I made it the checkpoint from Kata in 20 minutes once, but that was on the Ninja at 6am. :)

^^ I must have that for my av.

I think it depends entirely on the time of day.

In afternoons Cherng Telay road and down the west coast might be shorter time. Certainly a better view. ? Which way is Patong Beach Road these days? I would think it'll between an hour or more no matter which route.

That By pass /Chalong road is awfully long with all the traffic. I would stay away in peak traffic and same for Phuket town

Edited by TigerWan

It seems like everybody is in agreement that the bypass road is the quickest way. Thanks!

I was interested in ScubaBuddha's comment that this would also be a faster route to Karon. I'm pretty sure that it's not up for debate that turning right in Thalang will get you to Bangtao, Surin and Kamala more quickly than any other route - although if you think I'm wrong please say!

I would also say that the coast road was the fastest way to Patong - turning right off the bypass road at the Tesco Lotus and heading straight for Patong adds a lot of time to your journey, and the road from Tesco to Patong is not super-quick. But if you disagree I would be interested to hear why.

karon post office in kata/ptt pump, its only 3 minutes left to karon center by Patak road, a very good standard dual lane road

Depends on the helicopter! And how ting tong Scuba is feeling!

So I reckon that we've established:

Airport to Kamala - coast road, Airport to Patong - probably coast road, Airport to Karon - up for grabs but probably the Chalong circle route, and Airport to Kata definitely via Chalong circle.

Probably the traffic in Patong makes it too hard to do a speed run along the coast to Karon - I still reckon a 110cc motorbike could get to Karon faster down the coast, but in a car or on the back of Scuba's Ninja, the higher top speeds probably just about edge it for the bypass road route.

Airport to Kamala - coast road, Airport to Patong - probably coast road, Airport to Karon - up for grabs but probably the Chalong circle route, and Airport to Kata definitely via Chalong circle.

Probably the traffic in Patong makes it too hard to do a speed run along the coast to Karon - I still reckon a 110cc motorbike could get to Karon faster down the coast, but in a car or on the back of Scuba's Ninja, the higher top speeds probably just about edge it for the bypass road route.

I think you may be confusing your own ideas with other ideas vented here when you mention 'we have established'. Unless you're talking pluralis maiestatis?

just take any one of Phukets taxi dudes and tell them you will double their usual fare, and as a bonus.... if they get you there in less than 15 mins from your destination you will get them a bottle of sangsom and some yaa baa, and on your return trip to phuket you will buy all the gems,gold and pearls on the island. Performanced based bonuses jap.gif

I think you may be confusing your own ideas with other ideas vented here when you mention 'we have established'. Unless you're talking pluralis maiestatis?

We are not amused ;) We had also had too much to drink last night :unsure:

No, you are correct, as with almost any thaivisa thread a consensus has not exactly been established. Also, the question is a bit vague - traffic conditions, the vehicle you are in and your willingness to drive at extremely high speeds change journey times so much that we could never have arrived at a conclusion.

If you limited yourself to a top speed of 100 km/h then the coast road might be quicker for Patong and even Karon. But why would you want to do that? :D

Edited by modafinil

What do you mean WE have established, do you mean you have established

You asked the quickest way from the airport to Kata and people who know told you :)

Chalong circle is also the quickest way to karon its right next to Kata

If you limited yourself to a top speed of 100 km/h then the coast road might be quicker for Patong and even Karon. But why would you want to do that? :D

No, it will not be quicker to Karon. Patong maybe just about even, but majority of cases I would think turn off at Tesco will be quicker.

No, it will not be quicker to Karon. Patong maybe just about even, but majority of cases I would think turn off at Tesco will be quicker.

The coast road is very scenic, its also narrow, hilly and has lots of blind bends

Turning of the bypass road at Tesco lotus is Quicker going to Patong

I think the OP is reading Google maps and has not traveled on the roads :rolleyes:

The coast road is very scenic, its also narrow, hilly and has lots of blind bends

I think the OP is reading Google maps and has not traveled on the roads :rolleyes:

Could be. In that case it would be nice if he were to accept other's experiences.

Edited by LivinginKata
Insulting remark removed

I have definitely travelled on the roads - 15,000km in Phuket last year. In heavyish traffic on a moped, it takes me 45 minutes to get to Chalong circle from Phuket Airport. If my final destination was Karon circle, then it would probably take me just under an hour. I get from the airport to Patong under similar circumstances (coast road) in 45 minutes - again, I would expect to get to Karon circle in just under an hour.

As soon as you get in a car (or on a fast motorbike) the Chalong circle route has got to be the fastest route because of the higher top speed - and in the car, the coast road means that a couple of slow trucks will ruin your journey time.

I get to the Tesco Lotus on the bypass road from the airport in about 30 minutes - so another 15 minutes to Patong sounds about right, unless the BIB are "helping" with the traffic in Patong, in which case there could be a 5km tailback :) (yes, I've seen stationary traffic stretching back to the bottom of Patong hill up to the police station).

Yes, I was a little embarrassed about my "consensus" post - always a bad idea posting after a few beers ......

You have certainly made me reconsider my use of the coast road though - thanks for the help!

Edited by modafinil