Credit Card Deposit On Rental Cars

bread

Hi,

I wonder if any one could advise.

I am in Thailand next week and wanted to rent a car in bangkok for 10 days.

As I was looking I find that most companys (if not all) need a credit card for the deposit.

Some thing I dont use or own I have a Visa debit card.

I have rented in the UK and this has never been a problem so it had not crossed my mind.

I have tried to ask a couple of the Thai companys but I am not sure if they understand this question and I dont seem to get any definative answer.

Does any one know if they will just take a Visa debit or of any companys that do.

It is too late now for me to get the bank to issue a credit card.....

Thanks

Bread

Edited by bread

I think that as long as it is a Visa card or other name ( Mastercard / etc ) it is fine . I think you can rent a car without it but you'll better have cash at hand as you will have to pay the deposit . Normally when renting a car they reserve the deposit , which basically means nothing , only that if something happens they confirm it so it goes of the card . When nothing happens , then you pay just the car , cash or by card and finished . The deposit does not have to go back to you since they have not taken it , they only reserved it .

@ Sezze

Thanks for the quick reply.

I all so would have thought this to be the case both budget and enterprise rentals in the UK take a Visa debit with no problems.

The reason I thought is that in the Terms and Con' for the Thai rental companys they say it has to be credit card.

I did not want to pay online in the UK and the get there and find out they did not take it.

Maybe if any one has experiance renting there I dont know........

Thanks all any help much thanks.

Bread :)

Ps all so the UK takes £100 deposit thailand 40,000baht which is a fair bit.

Please check below topic in Pattaya section. One guy rented from Budget and they tried to shaft him TWICE so be careful.

http://www.thaivisa....ire-in-pattaya/

I'm the one that nearly got shafted. My advice is to pay by C/D that way they they wont be able to do it. If you give them cash and a C/C it's open to danger big time. And you wont know till you get your statement from the bank if you've been done. I was lucky as kept all the paper work and used a visa card not a D/Debit and I also live here. I know it's a pain but when you pay the bill phone your Bank ASAP and inform them of the amount, you could even do it in the shop so they hear you do it, if the time doesn't conform IE the the 6 hour's, they wont know just bull shit they cant hear what's said anyway. That way if they try to represent any other bill they the bank won't pay it. Tip, I know it's a bit late but always use a C/C not a D/D you will be able to have more control over what go's on. Have used several other company's not had a problem Only with Budget. Enjoy your holiday. I have never had a problem using my English D/Debit card here. Edited by fredob43

@ All thanks for the replies

So ( sorry if I am being stupid here) ....

I will be able to pay the deposit on my Visa Debit card ( as long as there is the right balance)?

In turn if I can I think I may stick 50000 baht and the rental cost in one account with no more money in it then at least there is no more to get nicked.

I know this is a bit stupid but I dont use a credit card, I never have I all ways pay as I go with every thing (well but the morgage):)

Thanks

Bread

Edited by bread

@ All thanks for the replies

So ( sorry if I am being stupid here) ....

I will be able to pay the deposit on my Visa Debit card ( as long as there is the right balance)?

In turn if I can I think I may stick 50000 baht and the rental cost in one account with no more money in it then at least there is no more to get nicked.

I know this is a bit stupid but I dont use a credit card, I never have I all ways pay as I go with every thing (well but the morgage):)

Thanks

Bread

As far as i know of and always experienced , no money goes of the card and then get's funded back . So you do not pay the deposit on the credit card , they only reserve it . If after you bring back the car and pay cash , nothing can be shown on the card statement ( when everything is done according to standard rules and no ripoffs ) . I think i only have debit cards and not credit cards ( debit card is money gets taken of the card 100% each month , while credit card you have a limit which can be there during many months and you refill when you want , with interest off course ? ) , and i not see any difference on the side of the receiver . They get their money and have 100% same warranties ( both CC and DC are Visa / Master or others ) and on the outside of the card they also look the same as far as i know of .