Suggested English Speaking Temples In Bangkok

Para

I have looked through recent threads and consulted other sources but as of yet am unable to find an suitable Temple in Bangkok when I can live and learn more about Buddhism

I have been in Thailand for many years now so this is far from a fad and I am fully aware of what I am letting myself in for. I have 12 months possible more to devote to my learning's so being a Monk for a Month isn't really what I am after.

For personal reasons Temples around Lard Yao/Jatujak would be better but I accept its the learning not the location that's important.

If anyone has any information that will allow my dream to become a reality I would greatly appreciate it.

Either PM me or keep this thread going.

Regards

Para

If location becomes unimportant then there is a Budhist temple in a forest (I would call it a large wood) outside Ubon Ratchatani that is renowned for its English/foreign section and has an esteemed abbot - sorry I'm not spiritual myself so know no more than that. The couple of occasions I have visited there casually I have been struck by the friendliness of monks who approached us, Thai and English-speakers.

edit: founf it now in my guide book. Wat Pa Nanachat Bung Wai. Actually the guy I was thinking of is dead but hos teachings live on - it was 'founded by a famous monk and mediation master Ajhan Cha'. Lonely Planet has contact details.

If location becomes unimportant then there is a Budhist temple in a forest (I would call it a large wood) outside Ubon Ratchatani that is renowned for its English/foreign section and has an esteemed abbot - sorry I'm not spiritual myself so know no more than that. The couple of occasions I have visited there casually I have been struck by the friendliness of monks who approached us, Thai and English-speakers.

edit: founf it now in my guide book. Wat Pa Nanachat Bung Wai. Actually the guy I was thinking of is dead but hos teachings live on - it was 'founded by a famous monk and mediation master Ajhan Cha'. Lonely Planet has contact details.

Thank you SantiSuk I will look it up.

Regards

Para

:D

The person you need to talk to, if he is available has the forum name of fabienfred on Thaivisa. He should be on the member's list.

He is a native Brit I believe and is a ordained Buddhist monk.

PM him with your question and, if he is available, he should give you the information you're looking for.

Just be aware that because of his commitmants as a monk, he can not always answer or doesn't have access to the internet at times.

So be patient. I'm sure he will answer you if he can do it.

:)

:D

The person you need to talk to, if he is available has the forum name of fabienfred on Thaivisa. He should be on the member's list.

He is a native Brit I believe and is a ordained Buddhist monk.

PM him with your question and, if he is available, he should give you the information you're looking for.

Just be aware that because of his commitmants as a monk, he can not always answer or doesn't have access to the internet at times.

So be patient. I'm sure he will answer you if he can do it.

:)

Thanks for the pointer I will PM him now.

Para

In Bangkok perhaps the most convenient temple for what you are seeking is Wat Mahathat. There is an international meditation section there where English is spoken, and you are welcome to stay there as long as you like.

Wat Sanghatan on the outskirts of Bangkok has at least one English-speaking month as well. The semi-rural, semi-urban setting is conducive to beginning practice.

Ven Dhammanando at Wat Benjamabophit is a British monk with over 20 years experience in the Thai monkhood and high accomplishments in both Pali and meditation studies. He would be worth talking to about possibilities at Wat Ben.

Phra Neil at Wat Paknam in Bkk is a Scottish monk who is one of the most senior western-born monks in Thailand. There are a few other western monks at Wat Paknam as well. The last time I checked, foreigners were welcome to stay there and study Buddhism.

Good luck.

In Bangkok perhaps the most convenient temple for what you are seeking is Wat Mahathat. There is an international meditation section there where English is spoken, and you are welcome to stay there as long as you like.

Wat Sanghatan on the outskirts of Bangkok has at least one English-speaking month as well. The semi-rural, semi-urban setting is conducive to beginning practice.

Ven Dhammanando at Wat Benjamabophit is a British monk with over 20 years experience in the Thai monkhood and high accomplishments in both Pali and meditation studies. He would be worth talking to about possibilities at Wat Ben.

Phra Neil at Wat Paknam in Bkk is a Scottish month who is one of the most senior western-born monks in Thailand. There are a few other western monks at Wat Paknam as well. The last time I checked, foreigners were welcome to stay there and study Buddhism.

Good luck.

Thank you sabaijai I will try and contact the people you mention now.

Regards

Para

Hi Para. I just saw your thread now via the weekly Thai Visa e-mail. When you mentioned your location, I was happy because I can recommend Wat Lad Prao. It's on Chok Chai 4 and it's huge. It hs a huge Quan Yin as well as a Buddha and it also has a resident astrologer who does readings.

He's Chinese Thai with very good English. They also have other people ther who speak good English. It's easy to get to. If you get to Chok Chai 4, you can get one of the small tuk tuks directly to the temple.

When you go, bring your camera. It's gorgeous and they've done rennovations on it in the past few years. If you do see the astrologer, Patti, tell him that Natalie recommended that you go there.