Bringing Belongings To Thailand

Hi everyone, i have heard horror stories about bringing household and personal stuff to Thailand, crazy taxes and items going missing etc... i'd like to send a container of mostly personal belongings,musical instruments, dated studio equipment,household, everything at least ten years old. From Melbourne,Australia.

Can anyone fill me in on this or give some good advice? Thanks in advance.

Moved to visa section.

A lot depends on the reason why you move to Thaland. if it is for work and you have a work permit and a 1 year extension of stay, you can import your household goods duty free.

An important factor is the agent you will be using. A good agent will negotiate a very favourable price for you to pay to Thai customs. Some members will be able to give you the name of a good agent they have used.

:rolleyes:

From what you've posted I'm guessing you are not coming on a retirement visa...but just in case you are... there is a duty free allowance on "personal effects" brought to Thailand for those retiring here on such a visa.

I've never taken it...and I don't know what Thai customs would consider personal effects if you do qualify. A shipping agent would know the details.

:whistling:

:rolleyes:

From what you've posted I'm guessing you are not coming on a retirement visa...but just in case you are... there is a duty free allowance on "personal effects" brought to Thailand for those retiring here on such a visa.

I've never taken it...and I don't know what Thai customs would consider personal effects if you do qualify. A shipping agent would know the details.

:whistling:

sorry, but that's misleading information. no allowance on personal effects for those retiring in Thailand.

but the OP's worries are not warranted if he uses a reputable clearing agent. i brought in a 40 foot HC container stuffed with 65m³ furniture and personal belongings. clearing and customs fees were negligible, no items were missing. the container was cleared in BKK and shipped to Pattaya where i removed the lock which my neighbour in Florida, who supervised the loading, had attached.