Koh Chang Or Koh Samet

agsnowdon

Hi all

Ok been reading the recent Koh Chang thread ands got me thinking.

Which one would you recomend at this current moment in time.

Thinking of going for a romantic 5 day break very early next year, I shall be in CM so we don't really want to travel from our home all the way down south and have narrowed it down to Koh Chang or Samet!

So what do you recomened?

:D:o:D:D:D

Koh Chang Or Koh Samet, Which one for romantic break?

babe ... listen to me... its not about where you go ... but it depends on who you go with .. :D

both are nice na ja..u can find some nice ,romantic beaches on koh samet ...(need shorter time to travel than koh chang)

anyhow...have a good time..where ever u go :o

Koh Chang Or Koh Samet, Which one for romantic break?

babe ... listen to me... its not about where you go ... but it depends on who you go with .. :D

both are nice na ja..u can find some nice ,romantic beaches on koh samet ...(need shorter time to travel than koh chang)

anyhow...have a good time..where ever u go :o

I know but just want that nice quiet beach to relax together on.

Cheers Bamb

Ash

Koh Chang more exotic and much bigger, many fine beaches.

However, bring a girl as the selection on the island is a bit K9.

There are 6-7 beaches on Koh Samet that most tourists go, all are white sand and nice.

The island does not even have a road. I don't know how one can bring (even think it's not allowed) a vehicle there. It hardly ever rains at Koh Samet (read somewhere it's a driest place in Thailand), the provisional road along the beach would be all mud and unpassable.

samet0.jpg

Nice beaches are often polluted by noise and fumes from jet skis and speedboats.

samet3.jpg

Most of the people there are on a day trip from Ban Phe.

Overnight stay is available in bungallows, some look good. Almost all are on the beach.

About 4pm, restaurant owners start laying the setting for the evening. I have heard the party goes on all night, unrestricted. The loudspeakers were the size of a large fridge, beware how close to them your accommodation is...can't be too far.

samet2.JPG

Koh Chang is much bigger but it's infrastructure is still rudumentary. If you don't mind lever of service backpackers accept, KC may be ok.

Although Koh Chang is ahead of Koh Samet (in terms of tourism), it's probably where Koh Samui was in 1950-ies.

For a day trip, I would vote for Koh Samet.

Neither Samet or Chang are worth 5 days stay, IMO.

Ive been to both places at least twice.

my vote goes to Ko Chang. Lots more to do, some first class restaurants and good accomodation,just shades it for me. It was the first place I took my Wife when we first met, and I guess thats where we fell in Love. Hows that for Romance??

Have a great time wherver you decide to go

TP

thinktoomut,

I don't agree that level of service on Koh Chang is backpacker quality.

many fancy bungalow resorts, up to 2500 baht per night.

There are still some backpacker dumps, true, but I paid 1000 a night at Cookie Bungalow and it was certainly well above backpacker level.

Internet cafes, a few beer bars, some good places to eat.

Koh Chang is developing rapidly and will be destroyed in about 4-5 years.

Go now!

Samet for a day trip, yes.

I stayed 5 nights on KC but 3 would be fine.

thinktoomut,

I don't agree that level of service on Koh Chang is backpacker quality.

many fancy bungalow resorts, up to 2500 baht per night.

There are still some backpacker dumps, true, but I paid 1000 a night at Cookie Bungalow and it was certainly well above backpacker level.

Internet cafes, a few beer bars, some good places to eat.

Koh Chang is developing rapidly and will be destroyed in about 4-5 years.

Go now!

Samet for a day trip, yes.

I stayed 5 nights on KC but 3 would be fine.

There are some, those on 2500B per night would be 1500B in Pattaya.

What I mean is - as soon as you are out of those (I would not call them "fancy" places or even in there), you face general slackiness and staff surprised with what is happening to them and what are all these people doing on the island. That's what they looked like last year after the tsunami when rates of occuppancy hit record highs.

Thinking of going for a romantic 5 day break very early next year,

well last night i thought about it

5 days!! koh Chang only na ja.. ..at koh Chang has more activities to do..and has more beache that you can reach (its the 3rd largest island in Thailand) ..you can change where you wanna stay(party/quiet) ..and its nice to rent car or motor bike (but be carecul ..coz the road is curve and bend in somewhere ..)

have fun :o:D

I'd goto Samet. But i love Samet for many things. The first being where i met my wife, 2nd had my honeymoon there. I've only been to Chang once a few years ago. It is nice. But i would still pick Samet. You can have some really nice quiet and romantic times. I stayed at a really nice(honeymoon) place between Silversands and TubTim beach. It was called Samed Villas. Very nice. Weekdays 1800 baht a night on the weekends it goes up. But if you booked in on a Tuesday or Wednesday and said you were staying for 5 nights. You should get a flat rate of 1800 baht.

My last visit to Chang was a few months ago.  The atmosphere there is "get rich quick" for now.  Construction sites everywhere and huge bulldozers plying the roads.  Not exactly romantic...

Bang on. The well-connected are raping this "national park" as fast as they can. The new airport, whenever it opens, will help them fill their pockets even more.

Definately Samet!

There is the most gorgeous resort opening up (just been re-furbished) called Baan Puu Paan with bungalows on the water, one with a private deck. There's pier for sunbathing, fishing, dining, chilling and generally enjoying the view from. Rooms are 1000Bt, a bargain compared to other rooms of same standard.

It's on the quieter side of the island in Ao Noi Na but just a short distance from the main beaches, etc.

A must for a romantic break!

If you want any more information, pictures or contact telephone numbers, etc then send me a PM, that obviously goes for anyone else who may be interested!

But wherever you end up.........enjoy!

I'd recommend Koh Chang, I stayed at the Barali (west side) a few months ago, pristine beach,

You can fly to Trat from Bkk and ferry from there or take a leisurely drive from Patters,

Either Chang or Samet have great, secluded beaches, you'll enjoy yourselves either place. :o

Hey all :o

Can feel the sand between my toes now.

Keep up the posts still don't know where to go they both sound so gooooooood.

Keep em coming!

Thanks for your help Ash :D

There would be just that much sand left at high tide. The largest beach disappears for some time every day. White Sand Beach, Koh Chang. See how far the splashes go. Up to the doorstep. Don't have a pic 15 mins later, but the towels were soaked although in a "safe" distance.

changbeach.jpg

Friend me was staying at Rocksand on WS Beach.

One night the tide came in and when he went home at 3am the water was up to his neck as he tried to get around the big rock to Rocksand.

He said that being very pis*ed and stoned was not too mut help. :o