Bangkok Post And Visa Cards

Been trying to renew my subscription for the Bangkok Post.

Gave them the details of my Bangkok Bank Visa Debit Card.

The response was that they couldn't accept a Visa debit card - only a credit card.

(This has been confirmed both over the 'phone and by email.)

I'm at an utter loss to understand why a Visa credit card should be acceptable, but not a Visa debit card.

Anyone care to shed any light on the situation>

Thanks.

The card does have a security code, but at no stage has the Bangkok Post asked for it.

Now they expect me to pay by bank transfer (which incurs a fee) and buy a fax machine so I can fax them proof of the transfer.

I think I'll just stick to reading the newspaper online. That's free.

Been thru it! Opened an account at Naklua branch, got the Visa debit card. Some weeks later tried to book online tickets to Cambodia and it didn't work. Ended up using my ING Visa card. Next day trotted up to the branch and got told I need a credit card. I insisted they check, cos after all it's my money, so the bank guy took me next door to the travel agent who explained it all to me in reasonably good English.

You can buy online, but not pay online with a Visa debit card. When I book Bangkok Air tickets on line I have to go to one of their offices to pay with my card in an efpos machine. A few weeks back when buying tickets to return to Oz I tried the Bangkok bank Visa card with Jetstar....and....lo and behold it worked! Go figure.

Look at the fine print on the front of your card - the part that says ELECTRONIC USE ONLY. This is why its not acceptable for a Mail Order transaction which is offline.

Bangkok Bank allows its debit cards to be used online, but not all banks do. This is decision that Visa allows to the individual card issuing banks.

Look at the fine print on the front of your card - the part that says ELECTRONIC USE ONLY. This is why its not acceptable for a Mail Order transaction which is offline.

Bangkok Bank allows its debit cards to be used online, but not all banks do. This is decision that Visa allows to the individual card issuing banks.

The For Electronic Use Only means it can only be used in online buys, swiped through point of same machines, ATM withdrawal, etc....all of these are electronic type actions. I even had my Bangkok Bank Be1st debit card linked with PayPal before and it worked as source of payment no problem. Since the numbers on the For Electronic Use Only cards are "not raised" they can not be used in the old style "press/impression" type purchase machines. Most debit cards even have a CVV code such as the Bangkok Bank Be1st debit card.

Correct in that Bangkok Bank debit cards work online (and point of sale transactions & ATMs) and in the lower left hand corner they also have the words For Electronic Use Only.

But with all above being said, some companies just won't accept debit cards over the phone or online for whatever reasons.