3G Service In Pattaya Has Arrived!

FarangBuddha

hello does anyone have ideas on the best mid range smart phone to use on AIS 3g service in Pattaya, i have been looking at the Samsung GIO with 800 mhz processor Android OS, promotion priced @ 6900 baht, everyone at the phone shops really push Samsung over Nokia because of the Android OS. This will be my first smartphone, all my frieinds/family back home use iPhones. I don't care what brand it is, I want fast down load and biggest easiest screen interface without having to pay more than about 7 or 8000 baht. I just need it to check stock market updates while out at night mainly, Thanks, Paul...

I Luv my LG Optimus one P500h. Best bang for the buck Android phone out there imho. You really don't need anything faster unless you plan to watch video or ? I mostly do email, check stock market and some forex trading.

HSDPA 7.2, WCDMA:900/2100, GSM:850/900/1800/1900RF Band

http://www.lg.com/uk...-phone-P500.jsp

Android is good if you are not afraid to root your phone and put on a custom ROM which opens up all kinds of new possibilities. You just can't do that with any other Mobile OS.

Don't scare the guy...an un-rooted phone is perfectly good as well. Tons of free stock checking apps for Android. If you want more customization, then as you say, there is also the root option.

Android is pretty much Android so buy on memory and screen size. Also, look for a model with most up to date version, I.e. Gingerbread.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello does anyone have ideas on the best mid range smart phone to use on AIS 3g service in Pattaya, i have been looking at the Samsung GIO with 800 mhz processor Android OS, promotion priced @ 6900 baht, everyone at the phone shops really push Samsung over Nokia because of the Android OS. This will be my first smartphone, all my frieinds/family back home use iPhones. I don't care what brand it is, I want fast down load and biggest easiest screen interface without having to pay more than about 7 or 8000 baht. I just need it to check stock market updates while out at night mainly, Thanks, Paul...

I Luv my LG Optimus one P500h. Best bang for the buck Android phone out there imho. You really don't need anything faster unless you plan to watch video or ? I mostly do email, check stock market and some forex trading.

Android is good if you are not afraid to root your phone and put on a custom ROM which opens up all kinds of new possibilities. You just can't do that with any other Mobile OS.

Don't scare the guy...an un-rooted phone is perfectly good as well. Tons of free stock checking apps for Android. If you want more customization, then as you say, there is also the root option.

Android is pretty much Android so buy on memory and screen size. Also, look for a model with most up to date version, I.e. Gingerbread.

thanks for the info guys, I found the LG One P500 for 7290 baht on the Power Buy web site, the processor speed is only 600 mhz compared to the Samsung Galaxy GIO which is 800 mhz for 400 baht less money (they were sold out at Big C near off of 2nd road). The LG One P500 looks like a well designed phone, maybe one of the phone shops in Tukcom has it for less, but want as much CPU speed as I can get in this price range.

I don't know what the terms Root and UnRoot or custom ROM means, I will try google to learn more about this, thanks again.

If you want up to date version you root your phone and put it on. You don't have that option with any other OS. I have been running Gingerbread on my Optimus One for several months now even though I don't think Gingerbread was ever officially released for my phone. The point is that you chose what version and on YOUR schedule, not the phone companies.

So, while as you say Android is fine on it's own merits and rooting is not for everyone, this rooting ability takes it to a whole other level that no other OS can match. Whether you think you would ever do it or not, something to take into consideration. You don't even have to do it yourself in Thailand. Take it into Tucom and get one of the guys to do if for you for a couple hundred baht. You can even buy these phones with custom ROMS already on them.

Btw, Cynanogen Mod Gingerbread works beautifully on the Optimus One. It definitely runs faster than it did with the stock ROM it came with.

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

Edited by ES1

Just got off the phone to AIS,

I have been on the Unlimited Data/Edge package for as long as I can remember and I pay 650 Baht per month, and now that 3G has come online it seems to be throttled at 360 Kbps.

However they say if I subscribe to the 3G package using code *133*24# at 855 Baht per month then the speed will increase.

I have also read that your 3G will be throttled to 360 Kbps if you exceed 3 GB

Anybody want to try it first?

For the AIS 3G unlimited package, what happens when you go to another location without 3G. Is the EDGE/GPRS unlimited also, and is there a time-based charge?

I

Just got off the phone to AIS,

I have been on the Unlimited Data/Edge package for as long as I can remember and I pay 650 Baht per month, and now that 3G has come online it seems to be throttled at 360 Kbps.

However they say if I subscribe to the 3G package using code *133*24# at 855 Baht per month then the speed will increase.

I have also read that your 3G will be throttled to 360 Kbps if you exceed 3 GB

Anybody want to try it first?

For the AIS 3G unlimited package, what happens when you go to another location without 3G. Is the EDGE/GPRS unlimited also, and is there a time-based charge?

I

You will get unlimited standard GPRS or EDGE in it;s place as part of your package.

thanks for the info guys, I found the LG One P500 for 7290 baht on the Power Buy web site, the processor speed is only 600 mhz compared to the Samsung Galaxy GIO which is 800 mhz for 400 baht less money (they were sold out at Big C near off of 2nd road). The LG One P500 looks like a well designed phone, maybe one of the phone shops in Tukcom has it for less, but want as much CPU speed as I can get in this price range.

I don't know what the terms Root and UnRoot or custom ROM means, I will try google to learn more about this, thanks again.

I wouldn't obsess over clock speed if I were you. It's not like a PC where it's all about clock speed. With smartphones you gotta consider battery life (that clock speed need more power plain and simple), build quality, screen size, buttons and location. Connector quality, especially the USB/charger connection.

For me clock speed is down the list below most other things. But, if you want to play 3d games on it and watch videos then perhaps clock speed is more important. Personally I have zero interest in doing any of those things on a 3" screen

Initially I was getting speeds of 1.5mb to 2.5mb on the intro 30 hours. Now on the 799 unlimited 3G package speeds seem to be limited to around 360k. I have confirmed that I have the correct 3G package. What I would like to know is anyone currently getting the 1.5mb + speeds and with what setup/package?

What are the chances of getting a 3G connection on an unlimited AIS package if you are using an older Solomon SEGM-520-Edge USB modem. I'm headed back to Pattaya next week and it would be nice if worked.. However I dont have high hopes :)

thanks

Just talked with AIS. They said that on the unlimited 3G package you only get 3G download until the line is throttled at 380kb. She said it is a feature of 3G service the world over (?). First the throttling came almost right away so there might be something wrong there, but the concept is that on unlimited package it is only unlimited at a limited speed.... unlimited at unlimited speed is limited to 3GB (say that 10 times fast:). Not sure if this was reported earlier or not, I didn't see it, any more info on how this will work with other 3G carriers, etc would be helpful.

What are the chances of getting a 3G connection on an unlimited AIS package if you are using an older Solomon SEGM-520-Edge USB modem. I'm headed back to Pattaya next week and it would be nice if worked.. However I dont have high hopes :)

thanks

Well it’s an EDGE modem so no 3G connectivity. According to their spec sheet, you’re limited to 236.8 kbps.

Just talked with AIS. They said that on the unlimited 3G package you only get 3G download until the line is throttled at 380kb. She said it is a feature of 3G service the world over (?). First the throttling came almost right away so there might be something wrong there, but the concept is that on unlimited package it is only unlimited at a limited speed.... unlimited at unlimited speed is limited to 3GB (say that 10 times fast:). Not sure if this was reported earlier or not, I didn't see it, any more info on how this will work with other 3G carriers, etc would be helpful.

Not sure either if it’s been reported in this thread. But it seems to be normal business practice, that you’ll get full 3G speeds until you reach a certain download limit.

Most monthly packages here seems to allow a 3GB download limit, before they start to throttle. Shorter time limit packages have less of a download limit before the throttling starts.

You can see this on the AIS and DTAC web sites for instance, I’m sure TOT and TRUE has this information as well.

Basically you just described the AIS data plans which are clearly explained on the AIS website. As for it sometimes on 380kb. Technically AIS has not launched in Pattaya yet so no guarantees of anything including 3g signal. Perhaps they are switching off full speeds at times during testing.

Edited by ES1

thanks

Well it’s an EDGE modem so no 3G connectivity. According to their spec sheet, you’re limited to 236.8 kbps.

Thank you for the reply. Now I know for sure and will change..