Sterling Interest

I'm in the unfortunate position of holding a 50K GBP bond that matures next month, the 4.2% I got each year for two year was OK but now the question is, where to find a home for those funds.

I need to keep the money in Sterling and I'm not interested in equities, I am however interested in bog standard, nice safe and comfortable, deposit accounts with no more than 90 days notice. Such creatures abound in the UK but I'm not UK resident, my offshore options are all currently maxed out, Nationwide Int, Anglo Irish, Co-Op and BOSI, everyone else pays seriously low rates.

Anyone have any clues as to any onshore financial institutions that will accept a deposit from an offshore resident UK citizen?

Lloyds TSB do one that has a 2.4% interest rate at the moment, provided you make no withdrawals in a year and a sliding scale per withdrawal.

Britannia do one at 2% with instant access, 3 free withdrawals per year.

Yes I've seen those, hard to get too excited about 2%! On the other hand, the Government Savings Bank here is offering 3.90% for five months which actually is quite tempting.

Lloyds TSB do one that has a 2.4% interest rate at the moment, provided you make no withdrawals in a year and a sliding scale per withdrawal.

Yes I've seen those, hard to get too excited about 2%! On the other hand, the Government Savings Bank here is offering 3.90% for five months which actually is quite tempting.

Got a link for what GSB is offering, i have had a look at their website but could not find any info about what you've mentioned?

Many thanks

JH

Got a link for what GSB is offering, i have had a look at their website but could not find any info about what you've mentioned?

Many thanks

JH

I don't know if it's on their web site or not, I went into their office in person today to ask some questions abut the offer so it's definitely valid.

Many thanks

JH

I don't know if it's on their web site or not, I went into their office in person today to ask some questions abut the offer so it's definitely valid.

Ok thanks.

JH

Your OP stated that you had to keep the money in GBP's.

If you are springing the boundaries, then 6.1% in Aussieland

http://www.rabodirect.com.au/term-deposits/default.aspx

http://www.rabodirect.com.au/term-deposits/default.aspx

That might just be springing the boundaries a little too far, at least with THB I can spend it here. The only reason the GSB issue arose was because there's a huge sign outside the CM branch advertising 3.9% that few could possibly miss, I kind figured it would be of more practical use to others on this forum than to me hence I used this thread here to make folks aware, it does seem like a good deal for anyone that's heavy in THB currently.

For a sterling account, or you need to convert to Baht?

http://www.rabodirec...ts/default.aspx

That might just be springing the boundaries a little too far, at least with THB I can spend it here. The only reason the GSB issue arose was because there's a huge sign outside the CM branch advertising 3.9% that few could possibly miss, I kind figured it would be of more practical use to others on this forum than to me hence I used this thread here to make folks aware, it does seem like a good deal for anyone that's heavy in THB currently.

That's a pretty good rate (annual) given the 5 month time commitment. You can do they same or better on rates at Bangkok Bank or Thanachart, but for a little longer commitment, but they do have withdrawl options. The best rates that i am aware of in Thailand are at Land and House Bank, which to my way of thinking is kind of a sketchy institution but certainly no more so than Anglo Irish..

What's interesting about L&H Bank (according to this website) is that they seem to have an inverted yield curve.

http://www.bot.or.th/english/statistics/financialmarkets/interestrate/_layouts/application/interest_rate/IN_Rate.aspx

Edited by lannarebirth

It's easy to open an account with A&L International....Isle of Mann...Have a look at their web site www.alil.co.im to see what they are offering now for e-savings immediate access.

I would rather poke hot needles into my eyes than have anything to do with Santandar, take it from me, the horror stories one reads about them are all true and I speak from first hand experience. Case in point, the A&L IOM internet 50 account: an attractive rate of interest and all communications are via the internet only, if you wanted to with draw your funds you have to give 50 days notice, get that calculation wrong and the 50 day clock has to start again. Fair enough I hear you say, indeed, except on that 50th day you have to actually make the withdraw between 09:00 and 11:00, get that part wrong (it's in the fine print) and you are deemed to have missed the window and will forfeit 50 days interest.

As for Santandar proper: I tried to change my address and give maturity instructions to an ex-A&L 2 year onshore bond and couldn't, I sent five registered letters, made one branch visit, made two ninety minute phone calls and sent goodness how many emails - the only things that worked was getting hold of the CEO's email address and having my UK Solicitor send her an email, it was absolutely horrendous.

^I've never had that sort of problem with ALIL but as I have a 2 year fixed interest account due to mature this month I hope you've got that email address handy in case I need it?

I hope you don't have the same problems I did. One word of caution, don't let ALIL transfer the funds in any other way than via BACS, to do otherwise will cost you a small fortune. Also, the email address is cunningly disguised so that it's hard to understand who it belongs to, I'll save you having to ask for it later, [email protected]

What's interesting about L&H Bank (according to this website) is that they seem to have an inverted yield curve.

http://www.bot.or.th/english/statistics/financialmarkets/interestrate/_layouts/application/interest_rate/IN_Rate.aspx

A looming recession indicator or more probably, a cash flow crisis in six/nine months time.

But on a similar thought, one USD/GBP forecast sees the following:

1 Aug 2011 1.611

2 Sep 2011 1.540

3 Oct 2011 1.479

4 Nov 2011 1.393

5 Dec 2011 1.315

6 Jan 2012 1.299

7 Feb 2012 1.314

8 Mar 2012 1.340

Any views?

It's easy to open an account with A&L International....

A&L offshore = Santander. They must be the hardest bank in the entire world to open an account with.

I have never known a bank anywhere to ask so many irrelevant and invasive questions and demand so many documents, with so many restrictions on what is and isn't suitable.

It's easy to open an account with A&L International....

A&L offshore = Santander. They must be the hardest bank in the entire world to open an account with.

I have never known a bank anywhere to ask so many irrelevant and invasive questions and demand so many documents, with so many restrictions on what is and isn't suitable.

And there's more.

The bastards even threatened to prevent me from moving money out of my account until my identity had been re-validated.