Non Imm "O" Mariage: The 400K 3 Months Requirement ?

Having just complete the process for the second yr. It is involved & aggravating, this yr. has change since last, it is one of the most difficult visa's to get & most just go the retirement route. A Thai marriage registration is now required. I'll start with what you'll need form her side. First go to her home of record, get her family Tom-boon, which is her house registration, it will have page with her name entered in it, her birth certificate, her Thai I.D. 2 copies of each.

From your embassy you'll need Affidavit of Eligibility, stating you are free to legally marry, then have that translated into Thai. Next you have to go the Ministry of Foriegn Affairs, to have those document legallized;

Legalization Division

Department of Consulate Affairs

Ministry of Foriegn Affairs

3 Rd Floor, 123 Chaeng Wattana Rd.

Tung Song Hong, Laksi District, Bangkok

Take everything to her Amphore, like the City hall of where she lives, fill out the required paperwrok for registration of aThai Marriage. The registration you'll get the same day if you get there early enough.

For immigration you'll need 2 completed TM-7 forms, including pictures in the required size which are not the same as passport, 2 copies of your passport, both photo page, & entry visa stamp page. Then 25 photos of your living arrangements, the living, sleeping, kitchen areas, food in the fridge, clothes in the closets, shoes, enterainment equipment. You both must be in all photos, Then 2 pictures of you both pointing to the address or name of where you live. 2 photos of both directions of the street, Soi outside of where you live. Mount the photos on legal size plan paper 3 to a page where they will fit & make sure the camera you use has date stamp capabilities.

You will be required to draw a hand drawn map of the neighborhood, then have that copied there at the Jomtien Office. your wife will be required to wirte a letter in Thai stating she wishes to stay together with you as husband & wife. This can be completed before, so long as she doesn't sign or date it until it's witnessed by the agent. All this paperwork must be in the proper order though they won't tell you what that order is. Also you need proof of residence, lease agreemtent, rent receipts, it wouldn't hurt to a have a "Letter of Residency" the same whcih is required for a Thai drivers license, then of course you bank info. I use the Income Statement.

In the Jomtien Office there is only one agent at desk # 5 who processing married 'o' visa's, expect not to have everything she requires, all the copies required many of which will be returned to you serving not purpose other than to annoy you for the efford. She will not talk to you in English as I don't believe she can. But to avoid added complications I did not let her know I speak Thai. Once she has given you to her supervisor who will review your paperwork & stamp every page 3-4 times, you'll have to sign every document. Pay the fee, & she stamps another month extenstion in your passport. Married 'o' visa's are porcessed in Bangkok, on the return due date they will stamp the visa in your passport with the first 90 day report date.

I have been told that since a Thai marriage registration is required the process will be easier in yrs to come, since you should not have to prove yr after yr you are married. I am currently waiting for the return of my stamp from Bangkok, due back at Jomtien Imm Sept. 23, 2011. So I am doubtful that anything has changed.

If you chose to have a business do it all, Siam Legal offer all services for $825.00 USD last time I looked.

I am British I have the 400,000 bacht in Bank but now have to go to Bangkok to get Affidavit of Eligibility to marry how much should I say my monthly income as my lady doesn't earn any money at all.

I plan to make Business renting apartment in the future but just now in the the Build process ?

Also should I take copies of her information with me to show Ministry of Foreign Affairs as she isn't going to Bangkok with me.

Also I am on a Tourist Visa just now & have a Daughter 3 months & 10 days old with my Future Wife ?

Some people say that I should go & get A Non O'Immigrant Visa but have been red marked by Thai Consulate for getting Visa.

Please help me with Information if possible thank you x

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the affidavid you enter your income only. No need to fill in anything but the thruth.

With the birth certificate naming you as the father you can get a non-immigrant O visa, giving you 90 days. In that time you can get married and ask for an extension of stay based on your marriage.

The red stamp is only for tourist visas and only for that particulair consulate.

Alternatively you can get a 60 day extension based on your daughter and at the end of that convert to a non-immigrant visa based on your marriage. Than you don't have to leave the country, but probably have to apply in Bangkok for the conversion and you might need to go back to Bangkok to get the conversion after a week or 2.

You can marry on the tourist visa and then visit immigration with that marriage certificate/wife/money in bank proof to obtain a conversion to non immigrant 90 day entry for 2,000 baht without need to exit country if you wish. Not all offices do the conversion but Bangkok will do for any that don't.

That depends on the exchange rate. Curently 1 USD = between 29 and 30 baht.

No, you come with a visa to Thailand, which on a non-O should give you 90 days. To get an extension of stay from immigration, the money must be in a bank account in Thailand for 2 months, so you would have 1 month to open a bank acocunt and transfer money to that account.

Stay on Topic of the original question?

He is living in Thailand already! He is already married a few weeks ago! He is in Pattaya!

Decide what type of viist you want first that will determine how much you will keep in the bank?

A. Make a copy of all your marriage paper

B. Make copies of all the pages of your passport, they will need the front page, they will need the arrival card copy, they will need page of the entry stamp, they will need page of the visa being used to currently stay in Thailand, if you are renting ;or own they will need a copy of rental agreement or utility bill or a copy of ownership of the house or condo and of course the bank statement no more than 3 days old ( Pattaya ). If you have monthly income you can use that income to apply for your 1 year. For example: You are suppose to have 800,000 baht in bank, but if you have verify income like $1,115.67 per month that equals (30x1) = 33,470 baht x 12 = roughly 400,000 baht per year, they all you need is 400,000 baht in the bank. They will put the two together and reach the 800,000 mark.

C. Now keep all other pages from your passport in page order in your hand ready to give if he or she points out that you need to copy this or that page. Every year I have been doing this the required pages always seems to be a bit different. So instead of getting all upset and bent out of shape having to run outside to make copies I have them all in hand and once he/she request I fling them out. OH! MAKE SURE YOU SIGN YOUR NAME TO EACH DOCUMENT JUST AS IT IS SIGN ON YOUR PASSPORT! DON'T THE THE EMBASSY LETTER THAT VERIFIES THE INCOME!

APPLYIN FOR THE 1 YEAR VISA DOESN'T REQUIRE A POLICE REPORT NOR A MEDICAL CERTIFICATE! ONCE AGAIN THAT IS IN PATTAYA (JOMTIEN). Doing it in the U.S requires these documents.

D. Now once you finish applying they will give you a number and ask you to return the next day to pick up your passport. You now will see the stamp and now you must decide if you want to apply for a Multi-Entry this stamp will cost you a additional 1900 for 1 entry or 3800 for Multi entry. While staying and living in Thailand, if you like to come or go as you please out of the country or need to go back home once or twice a year then you should apply. If so, in Jomtien try to pick a slow day and go early in the morning or late in the afternoon. you will need a copy of front page of passport and a copy of your 1 year visa stamp, again sign the copies.

If applying for a O-A Visa in your own country you need a Medical Certificate and a Police Report. Money can be in your own bank.

If applying for a 12 month extension for retirement in Thailand you do not need a Medical or Police report. Money has to be in a Thai bank.

Best to arrive with a Non Imm O Visa with this option.

Bit confused with this statement ... I am sorting out the requirements for my retirement visa extension. I was given a requirements form from my local immigration at Si Racha and on the list of requirements it states I need a letter from a doctor stating I'm in good health. This I was given last week.

Having just complete the process for the second yr. It is involved & aggravating, this yr. has change since last, it is one of the most difficult visa's to get & most just go the retirement route. A Thai marriage registration is now required. I'll start with what you'll need form her side. First go to her home of record, get her family Tom-boon, which is her house registration, it will have page with her name entered in it, her birth certificate, her Thai I.D. 2 copies of each.

From your embassy you'll need Affidavit of Eligibility, stating you are free to legally marry, then have that translated into Thai. Next you have to go the Ministry of Foriegn Affairs, to have those document legallized;

Legalization Division

Department of Consulate Affairs

Ministry of Foriegn Affairs

3 Rd Floor, 123 Chaeng Wattana Rd.

Tung Song Hong, Laksi District, Bangkok

Take everything to her Amphore, like the City hall of where she lives, fill out the required paperwrok for registration of aThai Marriage. The registration you'll get the same day if you get there early enough.

For immigration you'll need 2 completed TM-7 forms, including pictures in the required size which are not the same as passport, 2 copies of your passport, both photo page, & entry visa stamp page. Then 25 photos of your living arrangements, the living, sleeping, kitchen areas, food in the fridge, clothes in the closets, shoes, enterainment equipment. You both must be in all photos, Then 2 pictures of you both pointing to the address or name of where you live. 2 photos of both directions of the street, Soi outside of where you live. Mount the photos on legal size plan paper 3 to a page where they will fit & make sure the camera you use has date stamp capabilities.

You will be required to draw a hand drawn map of the neighborhood, then have that copied there at the Jomtien Office. your wife will be required to wirte a letter in Thai stating she wishes to stay together with you as husband & wife. This can be completed before, so long as she doesn't sign or date it until it's witnessed by the agent. All this paperwork must be in the proper order though they won't tell you what that order is. Also you need proof of residence, lease agreemtent, rent receipts, it wouldn't hurt to a have a "Letter of Residency" the same whcih is required for a Thai drivers license, then of course you bank info. I use the Income Statement.

In the Jomtien Office there is only one agent at desk # 5 who processing married 'o' visa's, expect not to have everything she requires, all the copies required many of which will be returned to you serving not purpose other than to annoy you for the efford. She will not talk to you in English as I don't believe she can. But to avoid added complications I did not let her know I speak Thai. Once she has given you to her supervisor who will review your paperwork & stamp every page 3-4 times, you'll have to sign every document. Pay the fee, & she stamps another month extenstion in your passport. Married 'o' visa's are porcessed in Bangkok, on the return due date they will stamp the visa in your passport with the first 90 day report date.

I have been told that since a Thai marriage registration is required the process will be easier in yrs to come, since you should not have to prove yr after yr you are married. I am currently waiting for the return of my stamp from Bangkok, due back at Jomtien Imm Sept. 23, 2011. So I am doubtful that anything has changed.

If you chose to have a business do it all, Siam Legal offer all services for $825.00 USD last time I looked.

I am British I have the 400,000 bacht in Bank but now have to go to Bangkok to get Affidavit of Eligibility to marry how much should I say my monthly income as my lady doesn't earn any money at all.

I plan to make Business renting apartment in the future but just now in the the Build process ?

Also should I take copies of her information with me to show Ministry of Foreign Affairs as she isn't going to Bangkok with me.

Also I am on a Tourist Visa just now & have a Daughter 3 months & 10 days old with my Future Wife ?

Some people say that I should go & get A Non O'Immigrant Visa but have been red marked by Thai Consulate for getting Visa.

Please help me with Information if possible thank you x

Hi Keith ... I wish you luck with your visa application ... Although I am married to a Thai I still continue with the retirement visa route ... I have looked into the marriage type visa but have been put off by the amount of red tape required. When you go to the Ministry of foreign Affairs ... Be prepared for a long wait ... Make sure you translation into Thai is 100% correct. Last year I took a document there ... I had paid to have it translated into Thai locally ... But after handing it in and waiting a good 4 hours ... I was called to the desk and told there were 2 spelling mistakes and they could not accept it !!! Of course there is always a tout hovering close by and he approached me and did the translation for me again ... Only took 20 minutes and 500 baht.

Again good luck .. essexman

Thank you for all the help with getting a marriage Visa At this present time I haven't got the funds available to go for Retirement Visa so will just have to slug on with Getting a Marriage visa any thing that I found out on my doing this I will post for fellow members to see thanks again. x

The requirement is 2 months in bank prior to application for Thai wife extension; first time or not.

It is no longer joint income/savings.

Cost of extension is 1,900 baht.

Cost of re-entry permit is either 1,000 or 3,800 baht (multi entry).

1900 baht for a single and 3800 for a multi. This would make sense thing about it?

Hello, I am a female that is marrying a Thai man in Bangkok. Does anyone know what I need to get a marriage visa? Please don't tell me to read the forum, I've been at it for days. Everything is about being married to a Thai wife. This is the only mention I have found about the opposite:

I don't think females married to Thai's have to show any money.

What do I need?

What do I need?

Correct. A foreign lady has it much easier than a foreign man.

You will need to visit Immigration with your Husband and take with you your Marriage Certificate.

Probably the Marriage entry in the registration book.

Husbands Tabbien Baan and ID Card

Your Husband may have to show some income or proof of tax payments. Not too sure on that.

Best thing is to visit Immigration and ask.

Passport.

Maybe photos of the two of you in and around the house. A map showing the way to your house.

1,900 Baht fee. Passport size photo.

You will get a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get your full extension (Not a Visa)

Single Entry Re Entry permit will cost you 1,000 Baht.

Multi Entry Re Entry Permit will cost you 3,800 Baht.

That is a fact.

Mr. Lite Beer,

" That is a fact " My apologise! You are correct in your accessment. I went down to Immigration to prove you wrong but it turn out to be the other way! It is in fact 1000 baht for a single. I must have gotten it confused with the 1900 baht for the 1 year visa, bad eyesight mistaken the 0 for a 9, either way in the future being wrong has it advantages of saving me money so I can get my eyes checked?

Your marriage visa may not be easy to get, it is an discretionary visa not automatic like a retirement visa, it is up to the Thai immigration if they give it to you or not, even if you have all the requirments.

I have retirement visa for the last two years, I went to the immigration in Bangkok last week to apply for a wife support visa,, marriage visa,, I had all the correct documents, the correct amount of income,, over 40,000 THB per months and over 400,000THB in my Thai bank, with stat dec from my embassy, photos of marriage, Thai marriage certifcate, everything that is required and this was confirmed by the immigration officer, the officer asked why I wanted a wife support visa, I said it would be more convenient for me and I could support my wife and her daughter better, The officer asked me to write a letter to the Thai immigration explaining the reason why I wanted the wife support visa, she also told me that the visa would most probably not be granted, as I had more than enough money and income for the retirement visa, she also told me the immigration did not want me to have a wife support visa, I have now been told that twice at the Bangkok immigration, would like to know if anyone else had the same experience.

If you have valid reason and meet the requirements for Thai wife extension of stay it will be approved. No extension of stay is automatic. Your case is that you meet retirement so should be using that as less work for you and immigration to approve so do not appear to have a valid reason for Thai wife extension of stay in there eyes.

Hello, I am a female that is marrying a Thai man in Bangkok. Does anyone know what I need to get a marriage visa? Please don't tell me to read the forum, I've been at it for days. Everything is about being married to a Thai wife. This is the only mention I have found about the opposite:

What do I need?

Here is straight dope from the Immigration Supervisor of married 'O' visa's, at Jomtien Imm.. You need nothing other than a valid passport with more than 6 mos. before it expires, & the 'Affadavit of Elgiblility' stating you are not currently married. No money in bank, or proof of income, you would still need the completed form which states you have been married, the Amphore marriage registration. He also needs nothing, no proof of income, no funds in any bank, & doesn't have to show any means of your support, or even have proof of employement. I know this because she, the supervisor was a bit congenial, & answered many of my questions, the info above was volunteered by her. She also stated if a farang female marry's a Thai male the gov't feels she is prepared to live whatever lifestyle he is able to provide. Just the facts here, but should it go south, you would have rights to his estate, there are alimony, & child support laws, however you would spend half again as much winning that in court.

If you & your intended plan on traveling or living in the U.S. & he doesn't have the means to qualify for a tourist visa, you both will have a long hard road of paperwork. With tourist visa you can make it leagl in the U.S. as it does recognize Thai marriage as legal, you would then only need to do the permanent resident paperwork.

One of my questions was why must a farang prove & income 40 times greater than the highest poverty level recorded in Thailand for Thais, which is Bangkok at 1,300 THB a mo. , also that 40,000 THB a mo. is higher than the poverty level for a family of 4 persons in some states in the U.S.

Just for general information, as I doubt there are any Thais marrying Thais in this thread. They don't even need a ceremony, need only to say to 2 people as witnesses they are married. Those witnesses must be present at the local Amphoe, & sign as such. With the fee's paid, they are issued a marriage registration, & license, & would require a devorce decree if it goes south. Though I doubt few bother unless assets are involved, one or the other just walks away.

Just for general information, as I doubt there are any Thais marrying Thais in this thread. They don't even need a ceremony,...

This is true for anyone - there is never any ceremony required - marriage is simple registration at a District Office for anyone. The only difference for a foreign national is the Embassy letter requirement.

On getting denied a married 'O' visa, any statement which in effect is about it's easier to meet the requirements, does not convey the idea you intend to remain with your wife, or that you even love her. 2 yrs. now my reason stated on form TM-7 Application for request of Extension, I simply stated I wish to remain in the Kingdom & continue our lives as husband & wife, as we have for previous in the yrs. in the U.S. I even wrote Airport Police Officer Retired, as my occupation. This was the only time it came up, though the Imm agent did ask my wife what did for a living in Thai,l unawear that I speak Thai.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but a Kor Ror 2 is now required on all marriage extensions.

It's a document to prove your marriage has been registered (Not your marriage certificate). You get it from your local Amphur. Cost is around 20baht. The officers at the Amphur may try and tell you that you must return to the Amphur where the original certificate was issued. This is not true. The documents are on their computers, and available for download.

But the document may well not be on computers unless marriage has taken place in the last seven years or so and in that case it would require a trip to the district office where registered. It is the ledger entry and if there has been a divorce would indicate it.

It's required, at-least at Jomtiem Imm., just had to do it 2 wks ago, & posted whats needed, how it's done, & where to get the required info. This is my second yr with a married 'O' it was not required last yr or before, not here. Anyone foolish enough to have had a marriage registration before & either lost or had it destroyed will have to start from scartch as the ones issued are the only ones you will ever get, they make that very clear. It's even post here in Thaivisa different thread, since the new head of Immigration came into power. Expats here in Pattaya may know, or even talked to Barry Kanyon, the Britt who works as a laision at immgration verifyed it at the first Expats Club meeting held at the Mercure Hotel.Think I'm done here.

...Anyone foolish enough to have had a marriage registration before & either lost or had it destroyed will have to start from scartch as the ones issued are the only ones you will ever get, they make that very clear...

I remember reading in a post some months ago about an immigration office (forgot which one) requiring a new KR.2 every year for the marriage extension. I believe it is the KR.3, the colourful "souvenir" document for framing and hanging on the wall, that is issued only once, in duplicate, at the time of marriage and the amphoe never gives a copy of that one, in fact doesn't even have one on file. The KR.2 is the only marriage document of which the amphoe can give a copy, as often as you need it.

Correct - the marriage certificate itself is a one (actually two) of a kind and only provided once but the ledger KR2 is available at any time and as it can be updated a new copy is what Immigration is usually interested in to confirm marriage is still valid.