Internet Connection Missing From My Computer!

smokie36

^ I believe JJ is referring to a firewall, which most routers have.

I'm still installing updates so I'll let you know when there are no more left....and whether IE9 is offered.

If IE9 isn't offered, download and install it manually.

That's right.

Also, let us know if the Factory Restore has re-installed any antivirus trials, as they will have to be completely removed before installing Avast.

There will be more updates after you reboot and check again....and even more after you install IE9.

Get rid of Norton as above, install Avast and then;

Download and install CCleaner

Once installed, open the program and go to Tools > Uninstall > Save to txt file Choose to save the file to your computer, open the newly saved text file and paste the contents here.

We will de-install unnecessary Tool-bars and such.

Activation Assistant for the 2007 Microsoft Office suites Microsoft Corporation 21/10/2008 13.5 MB

Adobe Flash Player 9 ActiveX Adobe Systems 21/10/2008 9

Adobe Reader 8.1.2 Adobe Systems Incorporated 11/09/2011 84.8 MB 8.1.2

Agere Systems HDA Modem Agere Systems 21/10/2008

ASUS CopyProtect ASUS 21/10/2008 3.17 MB 1.0.0007

ASUS Data Security Manager ASUS 21/10/2008 4.95 MB 1.00.0006

ASUS Live Update ASUS 21/10/2008 0.46 MB 2.5.6

ASUS Power4Gear eXtreme ASUS 21/10/2008 7.14 MB 1.0.18

ASUS Splendid Video Enhancement Technology ASUS 21/10/2008 16.7 MB 1.02.0020

Asus_Camera_ScreenSaver ASUS 21/10/2008 2.0.0007

ASUSDVD ASUSTek Corporation 21/10/2008 97.7 MB 7.0.3409.a

Atheros Client Installation Program Atheros 21/10/2008 10.0 MB 7.0

ATK Generic Function Service ATK 21/10/2008 0.45 MB 1.00.0008

ATK Hotkey ATK 21/10/2008 6.07 MB 1.00.0034

ATK Media 21/10/2008 0.63 MB

ATKOSD2 ATK 21/10/2008 7.41 MB 6.64.1.8

avast! Free Antivirus AVAST Software 12/09/2011 155.1 MB 6.0.1289.0

CCleaner Piriform 12/09/2011 4.02 MB 3.10

Cisco EAP-FAST Module Cisco Systems, Inc. 21/10/2008 1.04 MB 2.1.6

Cisco LEAP Module Cisco Systems, Inc. 21/10/2008 1.04 MB 1.0.12

Cisco PEAP Module Cisco Systems, Inc. 21/10/2008 0.85 MB 1.0.13

CyberLink LabelPrint CyberLink Corp. 21/10/2008 86.4 MB 2.0.2908

CyberLink Power2Go CyberLink Corp. 21/10/2008 122.2 MB 6.0.1924

Express Gate devicevm 21/10/2008 230 MB 0.7.6.0

LightScribe System Software 1.14.17.1 LightScribe 21/10/2008 21.0 MB 1.14.17.1

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Microsoft Corporation 11/09/2011 27.8 MB

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Microsoft Corporation 11/09/2011 120.3 MB 4.0.30319

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148 Microsoft Corporation 12/09/2011 0.58 MB 9.0.30729.4148

NB Probe 21/10/2008 2.76 MB

Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 21/10/2008 22.0 MB 6.0.1.5657

RICOH R5C83x/84x Flash Media Controller Driver Ver.3.55.01 21/10/2008 2.11 MB 3.55.01

SiS VGA Utilities Silicon Integrated Systems Corporation 21/10/2008 7.85 MB 5.12

Synaptics Pointing Device Driver Synaptics 21/10/2008 13.7 MB 10.1.8.0

WinFlash 21/10/2008 1.37 MB

Zoom 7.2M Tri-band Modem 11/09/2011 17.1 MB

You can get rid of:

Activation Assistant for the 2007 Microsoft Office suites Microsoft Corporation 21/10/2008 13.5 MB

You have a PM.

You can use this guide to help you decide on which of the ASUS software that you would be happy to lose.

But more importantly;

Open CCleaner again, go to Tools > Startup > Save to txt file Choose to save the file to your computer, open the newly saved text file and paste the contents here.

Yes HKCU:Run Sidebar C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun

Yes HKCU:Run WindowsWelcomeCenter rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter

Yes HKCU:Run LightScribe Control Panel C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe -hidden

Yes HKLM:Run Windows Defender %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide

Yes HKLM:Run RemoteControl "C:\Program Files\ASUSTek\ASUSDVD\PDVDServ.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run LanguageShortcut "C:\Program Files\ASUSTek\ASUSDVD\Language\Language.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run CLMLServer "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\CLMLSvc.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run P2Go_Menu "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go" UpdateWithCreateOnce "SOFTWARE\CyberLink\Power2Go\6.0"

Yes HKLM:Run HControlUser "C:\Program Files\ATK Hotkey\HcontrolUser.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run ATKOSD2 "C:\Program Files\ATKOSD2\ATKOSD2.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run SiSTray %ProgramFiles%\SiS VGA Utilities\SiSTray.exe

Yes HKLM:Run RtHDVCpl RtHDVCpl.exe

Yes HKLM:Run SynTPEnh C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe

Yes HKLM:Run ATKMEDIA C:\Program Files\ASUS\ATK Media\DMEDIA.EXE

Yes HKLM:Run ASUS Camera ScreenSaver C:\Windows\AsScrProlog.exe

Yes HKLM:Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run Skytel Skytel.exe

Yes HKLM:Run avast "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui

I have a Vista Home Premium disk here that's only been used with the Vaio. Just wondered if that would help here.

(Tried to post this on the Asus but it is so slow in comparison!)

No, you don't need it. You'd be better off downgrading to XP. But hopefully the RAM upgrade should help.

Go back to CCleaner > Tools > Startup and Disable these items:

Yes HKCU:Run WindowsWelcomeCenter rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter

Yes HKCU:Run LightScribe Control Panel C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe -hidden

Yes HKLM:Run RemoteControl "C:\Program Files\ASUSTek\ASUSDVD\PDVDServ.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run LanguageShortcut "C:\Program Files\ASUSTek\ASUSDVD\Language\Language.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run CLMLServer "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\CLMLSvc.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run P2Go_Menu "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go" UpdateWithCreateOnce "SOFTWARE\CyberLink\Power2Go\6.0"

Yes HKLM:Run HControlUser "C:\Program Files\ATK Hotkey\HcontrolUser.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run ATKOSD2 "C:\Program Files\ATKOSD2\ATKOSD2.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run SiSTray %ProgramFiles%\SiS VGA Utilities\SiSTray.exe

Yes HKLM:Run ATKMEDIA C:\Program Files\ASUS\ATK Media\DMEDIA.EXE

Yes HKLM:Run ASUS Camera ScreenSaver C:\Windows\AsScrProlog.exe

Yes HKLM:Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run Skytel Skytel.exe

You really don't need these items to start up with Windows. They just slow things down. But if there is a program, once disabled, that you would like to re-enable to start-up with Windows; you can easily enable it again within CCleaner.

So disable and then shut down. Then start up again to see if start-up times are better. Sometimes takes a while to right itself. Once you have the new RAM, you can re-enable any utilities as you choose.

Once the RAM is fitted....

Change the size of virtual memory

If you receive warnings that your virtual memory is low, you'll need to increase the minimum size of your paging file. Windows sets the initial minimum size of the paging file at the amount of random access memory (RAM) installed on your computer plus 300 megabytes (MB), and the maximum size at 3 times the amount of RAM installed on your computer. If you see warnings at these recommended levels, then increase the minimum and maximum sizes.

Open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

In the left pane, click Advanced system settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.

Make sure that a tick is in the 'Automatically manage paging file size for all drives' check box.

The RAM module is in and I followed these steps. Only thing is right at the end it would only allow me a choice of programs or background devices to change....so I did them both separately anyway to make sure.

Thanks Jiu Jitsu the laptop is running smoothly now. clap2.gif

Once the RAM is fitted....

Change the size of virtual memory

If you receive warnings that your virtual memory is low, you'll need to increase the minimum size of your paging file. Windows sets the initial minimum size of the paging file at the amount of random access memory (RAM) installed on your computer plus 300 megabytes (MB), and the maximum size at 3 times the amount of RAM installed on your computer. If you see warnings at these recommended levels, then increase the minimum and maximum sizes.

Open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

In the left pane, click Advanced system settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.

Make sure that a tick is in the 'Automatically manage paging file size for all drives' check box.

The RAM module is in and I followed these steps. Only thing is right at the end it would only allow me a choice of programs or background devices to change....so I did them both separately anyway to make sure.

Thanks Jiu Jitsu the laptop is running smoothly now. clap2.gif

Paging File Size is usually set automatically by default in Vista. I hope that you didn't change anything. You need the tick in the ''Automatically manage paging file size for all drives' box. But it doesn't look as if you got that far to change it anyway.

svki93.jpg

Good to know it's running as it should.

Errm...I think you'll find I did get that far. Anyway I made sure the box was ticked both times so I guess its OK.

One thing is she seems to be having trouble installing Skype. Have you any idea why this might be happening?

Sorry her explanation was vague beyond comprehension this morning.....

Errm...I think you'll find I did get that far. Anyway I made sure the box was ticked both times so I guess its OK.

One thing is she seems to be having trouble installing Skype. Have you any idea why this might be happening?

Don't you have Team Viewer? ;)

Doh! Ok I have had a look. Skype is there. She was being disconnected from Skype when trying the audio echo test. I told her to get connected with someone and try that way. Unfortunately she has forgotten her old Skyoe password and had to set up a new account.

Nothing is ever easy it seems....rolleyes.gif

Edit: I'm not a Skype user...but is it possible to have your login details and password sent out to your email address if you forget them?

If so how do I go about this?

Edited by smokie36

Doh! Ok I have had a look. Skype is there. She was being disconnected from Skype when trying the audio echo test. I told her to get connected with someone and try that way. Unfortunately she has forgotten her old Skyoe password and had to set up a new account.

Edit: I'm not a Skype user...but is it possible to have your login details and password sent out to your email address if you forget them?

Here? Just choose 'Forgotten your password?' or 'Forgotten your Skype Name?'.

Here? Just choose 'Forgotten your password?' or 'Forgotten your Skype Name?'.

OK I didn't see that screen as she was already logged in. Cheers I'll sort it tomorrow.