Internet Connection Missing From My Computer!

smokie36

Hi folks.

One of my computers has been messed about with by well...by an even more computer illiterate than myself.

The laptop concerned is an Isus X58C series running Vista Home series.

The problem started with the dongle not working correctly but unfortunately in trying to fix it at least one program has I believe been deleted.

"Connection status unknown. The dependency service or group failed to start."

Thisn is the message displayed instead of the usual connect to a network message when I try the task bar.

In Network and Sharing Centre it says "The dependency service or group failed to start."

There is no backup disk....and also no system restore. Yup folks not a good start.....

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

1. Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt (right-click and 'Run as administrator').

2. Execute the following commands (separately):

netsh winsock reset

And then...

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Ignore all errors and restart your computer.

1. Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt (right-click and 'Run as administrator').

netsh winsock reset

And then...

Thanks I now have internet connectivity restored. I'm having trouble with the dongle. When I click on the icon the computer says there is "No device".

Any ideas?

netsh winsock reset

And then...

Thanks I now have internet connectivity restored. I'm having trouble with the dongle. When I click on the icon the computer says there is "No device".

Any ideas?

Perhaps un-install and re-install the device.

If there are no Recovery Discs, then perhaps you have a Recovery Partition. You can access it by tapping F9 on boot-up. Manual here Page 65

If you have somehow erased the Recovery Partition, perhaps it's a good time to make Recovery Discs for your machine.

Download, save and burn the Drivers from here on to a CD/DVD to begin.

netsh winsock reset

And then...

Any ideas?

Perhaps un-install and re-install the device.

If there are no Recovery Discs, then perhaps you have a Recovery Partition. You can access it by tapping F9 on boot-up. Manual here Page 65

If you have somehow erased the Recovery Partition, perhaps it's a good time to make Recovery Discs for your machine.

Download, save and burn the Drivers from here on to a CD/DVD to begin.

When trying to uninstall the device it says "Please close the application first"

Just to be clear I don't want to erase the photos that are on the laptop or anything else on it for now. The thing is running very slowly to be honest....tomorrow I'll sort out a back up for these files.

In the meantime I'm wondering why the dongle won't be recognised.

Its been tested and works fine in other laptops.

OK Jiu Jitsu I checked using F9. There are 3 different partition options available.

That fine, your Recovery Partition is still intact. You don't need to use it now, unless you choose to back up all of your data in order to run a full Factory Restore.

How much RAM is installed? If just 1GB, you could do with another module. 1 or 2 GB DDR2 SO DIMM - 667 MHz. That together with a Factory Restore will solve all of the problems and have it running more smoothly than when new. Back up all your important data if you choose this route, of course. There will be quite a few Windows Updates to install to bring you back to Vista SP2 & IE9.

Going back to the modem.... Remove the modem from the machine, make sure that the Connection Manager is closed, un-install it via the Control Panel, re-boot and then plug the modem in again to re-install the connection manager.

Which model of modem?

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Also, keep in mind that your Recovery Partition gives you the option of a Factory Restore to the C: Drive only. So if your laptop has a separate Data drive. Sometimes labelled D:, you can drag your data(photos etc.) over to that drive if it isn't already there. Then just choose the option to restore to C: only, leaving your other partitions intact. That option is Recover Windows to first partition only.

If you are running Vista Home Premium, 1GB RAM is not enough, especially in conjunction with that processor. I'm sure you are experiencing sluggishness. A minimum of 2GB is advisable. So pick up a RAM module as aforementioned.

If the uninstall, re-install of the modem doesn't produce the required result, run a System File Check.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

OK Jiu Jitsu I checked using F9. There are 3 different partition options available.

That fine, your Recovery Partition is still intact. You don't need to use it now, unless you choose to back up all of your data in order to run a full Factory Restore.

How much RAM is installed? If just 1GB, you could do with another module. 1 or 2 GB DDR2 SO DIMM - 667 MHz. That together with a Factory Restore will solve all of the problems and have it running more smoothly than when new. Back up all your important data if you choose this route, of course. There will be quite a few Windows Updates to install to bring you back to Vista SP2 & IE9.

Going back to the modem.... Remove the modem from the machine, make sure that the Connection Manager is closed, un-install it via the Control Panel, re-boot and then plug the modem in again to re-install the connection manager.

Which model of modem?

Its a Zoom 7.2 running on Jersey Telecom....Yes the beaches are a lot better here than in East London!

Thanks again for your help. I've uninstalled it successfully...now for a reboot...

I've reinstalled it and it still says there is No Device.

I have a 14.4 Zoom dongle I'm using with the Vaio which works fine. Shall I try using that with it and see if it works?

The laptop is running Vista Home Basic.

Edited by smokie36

Sorry if this seems a bit thick but how do I back up all of the files and pics stored on it please?

You can ignore this comment as I managed to work it out. Cheers. biggrin.gif

If you are on Jersey, you can pick one up here for £9.99.

Cheers. I tried the computer shop and gave him the detail you left and the spotty kid sneered at me and asked what speed it ran at...asked for some four digit number.....then told me to bring the laptop in so he can have a look.

As if....blink.gif

'Scuse my "butting in"......

Just to say that how nice it was to read this thread - good questions (although they were pretty much lost on me :whistling:), but more so - the amazingly straightforward and understandable answers and directions. ;)

A vastly pleasant change from the perhaps more normal bickering and often snide answers and remarks to questions on other sub-forums. I could almost feel slightly jealous that a couple of my own questions (not here!) weren't treated with such a positive reponse, instead of ridiculous things like "why do you want to know?.." or "why don't you go back home?...". :blink:

Well done, guys! :jap:

Cheers

OK Backed up the files to disk and done a system restore and now the dongle works. I will sort out the extra RAM in the next couple of days and give you a shout if I have any probs.

Many thanks again to both of you for your help!

jap.gif

System Restore or Factory Restore?

If Factory Restore; once that is done, connect to the Internet but don't open any browsers, go to Windows Update( Start > All Programs > Windows Update > Check For Updates.

Each time you install the updates and re-boot, return to Windows Update and check again. You will have to repeat this many times, as there will be lots of updates. In the end you will have Vista Home Basic SP2 and Internet Explorer 9.

If Factory Restore; once that is done, connect to the Internet but don't open any browsers, go to Windows Update( Start > All Programs > Windows Update > Check For Updates.

Each time you install the updates and re-boot, return to Windows Update and check again. You will have to repeat this many times, as there will be lots of updates. In the end you will have Vista Home Basic SP2 and Internet Explorer 9.

Hmm I used the second of the three options. Certainly not the partition option. I think it was a factory restore. Does it make any difference if I do this before I have the extra RAM?

Try calling Play on 01534 877595. Perhaps you can arrange to pick the item up if they are nearby.

Thanks for that number. I'll call them tomorrow morning and pick up a module.

Hmm I used the second of the three options. Certainly not the partition option. I think it was a factory restore. Does it make any difference if I do this before I have the extra RAM?

Try calling Play on 01534 877595. Perhaps you can arrange to pick the item up if they are nearby.

Thanks for that number. I'll call them tomorrow morning and pick up a module.

Yes, that was a Factory Restore. Which option was a matter of personal choice. Some prefer a separate Data partition.

No problem to get it all done before the RAM module arrives.

We'll just check that Virtual Memory has been reset after you have fitted the new RAM.

Once the RAM is fitted....

Change the size of virtual memory

If you receive warnings that your virtual memory is low, you'll need to increase the minimum size of your paging file. Windows sets the initial minimum size of the paging file at the amount of random access memory (RAM) installed on your computer plus 300 megabytes (MB), and the maximum size at 3 times the amount of RAM installed on your computer. If you see warnings at these recommended levels, then increase the minimum and maximum sizes.

Open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

In the left pane, click Advanced system settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.

Make sure that a tick is in the 'Automatically manage paging file size for all drives' check box.

Once that is done and all of the Windows Updates have been installed, we can begin to un-install unnecessary programs installed by the Factory Restore and the Windows Updates. In addition to stop unnecessary programs from starting up with Windows.

Do you have an antivirus solution?

If you receive warnings that your virtual memory is low, you'll need to increase the minimum size of your paging file. Windows sets the initial minimum size of the paging file at the amount of random access memory (RAM) installed on your computer plus 300 megabytes (MB), and the maximum size at 3 times the amount of RAM installed on your computer. If you see warnings at these recommended levels, then increase the minimum and maximum sizes.

Open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

In the left pane, click Advanced system settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Make sure that a tick is in the 'Automatically manage paging file size for all drives' check box.

Once that is done and all of the Windows Updates have been installed, we can begin to un-install unnecessary programs installed by the Factory Restore and the Windows Updates. In addition to stop unnecessary programs from starting up with Windows.

Ok Jiu Jitsu this laptop belongs to my 87 year old grandmother....and she has just told me she has been using something called Avast???

She sends her love as well....biggrin.gif

Meanwhile I'm on update 23 of 106.....!!

It just tried to install IE8 but I hit cancel.....I'll wait for IE9 to appear....I hope that's OK...its continuing to install the rest.

I hope so too... I suspect that you should have installed IE8. You can always install IE9 as a standalone if it doesn't appear.

Ok Jiu Jitsu this laptop belongs to my 87 year old grandmother....and she has just told me she has been using something called Avast???

She sends her love as well....biggrin.gif

Avast is good enough. The latest version; Avast 6 is here. Download and install and then register here to get the free licence. Hope she is behind a Router.

Meanwhile I'm on update 23 of 106.....!!

It just tried to install IE8 but I hit cancel.....I'll wait for IE9 to appear....I hope that's OK...its continuing to install the rest.

I hope so too... I suspect that you should have installed IE8. You can always install IE9 as a standalone if it doesn't appear.

I'm still installing updates so I'll let you know when there are no more left....and whether IE9 is offered.