Tourist Visa To Us

I have been searching and found a few topics on this only a few of the links worked but just had a look at the US Embassy in Thailand and have seen the following is needed for a tourist visa;

# The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment;

# That they plan to remain for a specific, limited period;

# Evidence of funds to cover expenses in the United States;

# Evidence of compelling social and economic ties abroad; and

# That they have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties which will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.

My stepmother is nineteen years old and is Thai, she and my Dad who is 39 have been married in Thailand for one year but he has known her four years (I don't think that will count but I'll include it). My Dad has just told me he will put the right amount of money in her bank account the US would like as evidence. And she also owns some land and a motorbike over here in LOS.

So my Dad would like to know where does he stand in the tourist visa situation? The age gap carn't be that great for him. And he would like to know how he can prove the requirement list with the right documents, and how long the process usually takes.

I know I may be repeating the same post as many others but please bear with me guys :o

Thankyou in advance.

And your father is (nationality and ties to Thailand)? His ties here are what will make or break I believe as they would be expected to be together. A job that ties him long term to living in Thailand?

Believe everyone has to have interview now so not sure what the current time frame is. We did years ago and wife had interview the next day or two and got visa the same day.

And your father is (nationality and ties to Thailand)?  His ties here are what will make or break I believe as they would be expected to be together.  A job that ties him long term to living in Thailand?

Believe everyone has to have interview now so not sure what the current time frame is.  We did years ago and wife had interview the next day or two and got visa the same day.

My father is English nationality and has a house and has two companys here. And he owns many houses here because of him using that as his business. It does tie him to Thailand.

Sorry for not including the details about my father ! :o

Should be easier than going with an American since he isn't tied to the US either. Putting the money in right before the visa application won't help much, frankly. House papers, land papers, if she works a letter from her employer. Photocopies of his Thai visa and all related info showing that he lives here will help.

When I went with my husband they scheduled his interview for a week later, we emailed and they rescheduled for the next day. He was granted his visa right after the interview. (10 year multi entry).

# Evidence of compelling social and economic ties abroad; and

# That they have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties which will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.

These are the most important ones that she will have to prove. And I mean prove. Not just a preponderance of the evidence. Not just beyond a reasonable doubt. The interviewer has got to be 100% certain she'll be coming back.
So my Dad would like to know where does he stand in the tourist visa situation?
Honestly? No chance. I am sorry.
...how long the process usually takes.
Plan to spend all day at the Embassy. Hopefully it won't be so crowded that you'll be able to find an few empty chairs, but don't count on it.
Sorry for not including the details about my father !  :o
More importantly would be if she has any of her own children, children that have little chance of themselves leaving Thailand, compelling her to return.
Should be easier than going with an American since he isn't tied to the US either.
I am American. I went to the interview with my girlfriend and when she got rejected I asked the interviewer this exact same question. He bit his tongue a bit then finally answered "no [it would not make any difference]".

Not to be nosy but you haven't even stated what's her reason for going and if you and your dad will be accompanying her. Not that it will make any difference -- with UK passports it will be assumed that you could freely enter the USA at a later date.

Not to be nosy but you haven't even stated what's her reason for going and if you and your dad will be accompanying her. Not that it will make any difference -- with UK passports it will be assumed that you could freely enter the USA at a later date.

It's a holiday with myself, my father and my stepmum so yes we will be going with her, of course we can travel at anytime but my Dad wanted to take his wife with him. But she dosen't have any children.

We will still try, thats the best we can do. Thanks for your advice though :o

Edited by Ice Maiden

Honestly? No chance. I am sorry.
I don't agree at all. This lady is married to a man working in Thailand, they are going on holiday and will come back on the booked and paid for flights..

She's not going to flight school in the States, at which point she will fling off her Hello Kitty hat to reveal a long luxuriant Moslem beard.

And I mean prove. Not just a preponderance of the evidence. Not just beyond a reasonable doubt. The interviewer has got to be 100% certain she'll be coming back

What do you suggest for this 'proof', a large elastic band attached to her, just long enough to stretch to the shores of the USA, at which point she will come twanging back?

No disrespect to FXM but I think his post is more his frustration from his own experience rather than an objective analysis of Ice Mother's status.

It's a holiday with myself, my father and my stepmum so yes we will be going with her, of course we can travel at anytime but my Dad wanted to take his wife with him. But she dosen't have any children.

We will still try, thats the best we can do. Thanks for your advice though  :o

Really shouldn’t be a problem, just allow plenty of time to wait for the interview, check the US State Dept Site for normal waiting times.

In the application put in the marriage certificate, your fathers visa page, showing his Non-Imm visa and extension, as your father is the owner of some companies, he should write a letter explaining that he is working indefinitely in Thailand and will be taking his wife on holiday to the US. Wouldn't hurt to put some company documents in as well. If they have joint accounts, copy those and include any property in her name. My experience is that married couples living in Thailand that can prove ties, have no problem getting tourist visas. Most likely, they will give her a ten year multi entry.

TH

No disrespect to FXM but I think his post is more his frustration from his own experience rather than an objective analysis of Ice Mother's status.
Yes, it was a very frustrating experience and a year later I still get angry thinking about it. You may be right. In a speech earlier this year Ambassador Boyce stated "In fact, the vast majority of all Thais applying for visas, regardless of the purpose of the visit, get them." I'm skeptical, and last time I checked they still hadn't resumed releasing accept/reject statistics, so who really knows. A lot of people post questions here before they apply, but I rarely see any follow up on the outcome. Let's hope the original poster follows up and let's us all know what happens. Edited by fxm88