Unlocking/ Jailbreak Phone

MisterMan

HI I received an Iphone 3g from the states. I have no idea even what version software is on it.

I had one before and had the guy unlock it but if i wanted to do it myself is it really that difficult?

And how can I find out what software is on it? All i get is an image of USB and Itunes logo.

I would at least like to get to the point past that

if you mean a iTunes Logo and below a USB Cable on the screen, that means the Phone is in Recovery mode.

simply connect it to your Mac, and start iTunes ...

iTunes will show then "device in recovery mode found" and offer you to Restore it.

you need to get a iOS for your phone at this stage matching the hardware you have in your hand (iPhone 3,4)

iOS 4.3.3 (i would recuoment because its very easy to jailbreak))

you need to have a good internet connection .. because the OS is between 500 and 850Mb sized.

Ignore the above post. It's important that you don't restore the firmware at this stage. The latest firmware for the 3G (4.2.1 - the 3G doesn't go any higher) has an unlockable baseband. You don't want this. The 3G is also virtually unusable on firmwares above 3.1.3 (too slow), so you want to try and keep it on 3.x.x if it's there already.

The activation screen and the recovery screen are virtually identical from memory. Hook the phone into your computer, open itunes and see what happens. Assuming you have a (non-US) sim card in the phone, one of the following will probably happen:

1. The phone will activate.

2. The phone will tell you the sim is locked and refuse to activate (this means the phone is locked to a network - probably AT&T if it came from the US).

3. The phone is actually in recovery for some reason and offers you a restore. Don't accept the restore.

Assuming 1. above, find out what the firmware is after you've activated and come back and report.

Assuming 2. or 3. you need to ask the person who gave you the phone what firmware it's running. It's important that we know what the baseband is before we do anything else.

oh sorry MKAsok is right .. if it is a 3G model ... then my advice isn't really helpful.

if its 3GS its like i wrote.

the difference between the activation screen and the Recovery screen is the message iTunes will show (no worries .. nothing gonna happen at this stage)

and if the phone want a activation it will show the Slide to unlock for setup/911 call

btw. why getting a 3G from the US ? local dealers trow them at you for almost free at since the phone is seriously outdated and 2 Generations behind.

Oh I take that back it has the normal interface now. I did not do anything! The phone back up already on Itunes was jail broken.

OK my version is 4.2.1 does that mean I can never use it here?

Model firmware is 05.15.04

In phuket they are about 10k. This one was 100% free.

Edited by MisterMan