Pattaya Flooding?

nikkoid66

Just got back from an aborted trip to Tukom (I live Soi Khao Noi) left at 10.30am, Suk road is closed, River Khao Noi was about 700mm deep when I went out but has resided now and should be clear soon.

Pictures? How did you go to Tukom if SUK was closed? Just wondering.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from an aborted trip to Tukom (I live Soi Khao Noi) left at 10.30am, Suk road is closed, River Khao Noi was about 700mm deep when I went out but has resided now and should be clear soon.

As you can see from one of the photos, as recently as a few hours ago, Sukhumvit was a lake! One benefit of living on the Farside, besides have a steady supply of city water, is many areas are relatively safe from flooding because they are on high-ground (the "khow" in Khow Noi and Khow Talo refers to them being on high-ground or "mountains") and the water goes downhill towards Sukhumvit and then if really heavy continues down Central and South Pattaya roads to the ocean. The areas towards the end of South Road (often up to around 3rd Road), Bua Khow, and 2nd Road often are seriously flooded because of this; add that the sewers are backed-up and there may be a high-tide so the water doesn't drain into the sea very quickly. Tuk Com would be right in the middle of all this.

Edited by FarangBuddha

He said the trip was "aborted." I would refer you to Dictionary.com for a definition :whistling:

He said the trip was "aborted." I would refer you to Dictionary.com for a definition :whistling:

Sorry about that, but it was crazy enough having tried the trip, brave man! :rolleyes:

An hour ago there was still about 3 feet of water in my soi and 2nd Rd near Tipp Plaza.

Couple of half-submerged cars in the soi outside and the whole ground floor of my place had about 6 inches of water everywhere. Large numbers of occupants sitting in the lobby drinking coffee and looking pretty p*ssed off.

Luckily I'm on the 2nd floor and everything apart from the internet is still working. (The router is under water in the office :blink: )

The big building next door to mine doesn't bother with secure wifi. So my thanks to them. :jap:

For those of you with poor memory recall...Let Google be your friend.

I did a quick search of "Flooding Pattaya 2010" and was given the following dates...

10th Feb 2010

May 2010

26th July 2010

14th October 2010

There were more...

The only difference from then and now is there is more rubbish crammed down the already narrow blocked drains.

Hence the ( perceived )increased height of the flooding.

Cover the planet in concrete and tar. Chop down all the trees. Dam the rivers and .....well do I need to explain it in detail...?

Edited by lonewolf99

I think the weather has been messed up with gloom & rain ever since the accident in Japan with the reactor. No, i'm not into global warming hysteria but none the less i can't recall it has kept being this crappy weather so long ever, and i'm bored with it.

It is due to the weather phenomenon called "La Niña". La Niña is characterized by unusually cold ocean temperatures in the Equatorial Pacific, compared to El Nino, which is characterized by unusually warm ocean temperatures in the Equatorial Pacific. La Niña conditions typically last approximately nine to 12 months, though some episodes may persist for as long as two years. El Niño and La Niña result from interaction between the surface of the ocean and the atmosphere in the tropical Pacific. Changes in the ocean impact the atmosphere and climate patterns around the globe. In turn, changes in the atmosphere impact the ocean temperatures and currents. The system oscillates between warm (El Niño) to neutral (or cold La Niña) conditions on an average of every three to five years.

HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GLOBAL WARMING, JAPANESE REACTORS OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those of you with poor memory recall...Let Google be your friend.

I did a quick search of "Flooding Pattaya 2010" and was given the following dates...

10th Feb 2010

May 2010

26th July 2010

14th October 2010

There were more...

The only difference from then and now is there is more rubbish crammed down the already narrow blocked drains.

Hence the ( perceived )increased height of the flooding.

Cover the planet in concrete and tar. Chop down all the trees. Dam the rivers and .....well do I need to explain it in detail...?

Yes there are localized floods every year.

Just back from a tour around Pattaya and this is Defiantly the worst I have seen in the 4 years I have been here.

Hope thats OK with you and Google.

Gotta give the thumbs-up to the electricity folks...my power never went out during this storm episode. Banglamung cable has been on all of about 30 minutes and the same with my internet service.

Hopefully nobody will get electrocuted too, walking around in the water with main line cables submerged.

Just got back from a spin on the motorbike in the South Pattaya area. There's still about half a meter of water covering Pattaya Tai near Tukcom. Traffic is backed up all along 3rd Rd going north, and the same on Soi Bokao (which is also flooded starting near the soi going to the Avenue.

No one should even think about driving a car in Pattaya until late eveing. And if on your bike sandals are a must.

post-69360-0-52200800-1315737053_thumb.jpost-69360-0-84598600-1315737108_thumb.jpost-69360-0-42596400-1315737155_thumb.jpost-69360-0-67337000-1315737193_thumb.jpost-69360-0-95229600-1315737226_thumb.j

Please see pix, taken from my car (sedan) at around 1430, we could not go up to South Patt. road but was diverted to walking street, the police man made a gesture at the middle of the car door, he-he, so only high legged pick-ups could go that way

Edited by guzzi850m2

Yeah, it's deep. But it's not a record. This stuff happens a couple times each rainy season.

I disagree. The roads get pretty bad after just an hour of heavy rain, but this was 12 hours of continuous heavy downpour. I've never seen this before in Pattaya.

Pattaya Tai was still a river at 5pm, but not so bad that I couldn't ride my bike through it.

Edited by tropo