What Do Reckon "Is It Me Or What"

DEVATSAR

Break larger notes at tesco or big c or go to the bank & ask them to break them down. Most small shop owners do not carry a large float, thai people tend to buy things with small notes or coins, esp in markets. Alot of these people are living on the bread line, 1k baht is a lot of money.

As for the ciggie in 7 thing, learn how to ask for it in thai, this is thailand after all. ;)

Agreed. It is Thailand and your problem, not theirs. :jap:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just buy a carlton of cigg than u wont have a problem. coz u will always have to buy it anyway right? :P

Sorry , old son ( the O.P.),you are living in the wrong country. It is the norm, not to have the change ,that a stupid "faraNg " wants. Expert advice :: Look for your local Wholesaler , buy a CARTON ,not a carlton,and save money ,They are much cheaper. Only problem is, you will end up in hospital like I did, after HAVING smoked for 40 odd years , trying to die of Pneumonia,and COPD and Emphysema, But the very good Thai doctors saved me, To tell you this tale.QUIT ,now. is my advice

Sorry mate, If you walk around with a bunch of 1000 bt bank notes and don't speak the lingo you are heading for trouble one way or another. How do you manage taxi journeys? Why not withdraw nine hundred or four hundred at a time. Learn how to say left. right, up down (si,quar, krong bon, krong lan) so you can point at things behind the counter. Learn the colours, its not rocket science. In the Uk if someone walked around trying to buy small items with a fifty pound note in the same shops everyday and didn't speak a word of the language they'd look like a bit of a dick, no?

I wonder how many times the OP has been overcharged if he's always handing over 1000 baht notes for small purchases? It's amazing how many times the staff in a bar will insist you gave them a 500 baht note, not a 1000.

Those ATM machines that spit out the 1000 baht notes are often just outside a bank. Go inside that bank and ask them to change those 1000 baht notes into 20s and 100s.

But, then again, maybe the OP is using the ATM machines outside of normal banking hours.

I can't tell you how many times I've been at a restaurant on our soi and helped out the poor owner by providing smaller bills when some kwai wanted to pay for 40 baht meal with a 1000 baht note. Ditto for song thaew drivers. I give the clueless passengers the correct change rather than wait for the song thaew drivers' standard response -- i.e. drive the kwai to a 7-11 and tell him to go inside and buy some gum so there's change for the song thaew driver.

Hi 'DEVASTAR' I don't have a problem with you over the two issues you have highlighted, and yes, they happen to me as well. So I understand what you're saying. However, the first issue; getting change! Have you ever worked in the retail business? You know keeping hold of a change float is one of the biggest issues in a shop, customers don't think about this as they hand over large bills…….And yes a 500 or 1000 is a big deal to a small Thai shop, buying change from banks is expensive believe it or not.

To save myself……and the small shop owner grief, I do the following; I use large bill in large shops…, Malls and such, that always leaves me small bills for the little guy!

Your second point…….Don't hold your breath, but you may get some jip for way you described you actions in 7/11, (my GF speaks good English and she does as you describe)

Just remember this is their second language, you know I can't count the number of times I have been asked a question in Thai and I will have to think, (in the mean time I must look like I'm having a stroke while trawling thought my Thai data bank for the correct answer)………..So don't be too hard on them, a!

I don't normally like reposting what others have already typed, but what Tonto posted needs repeating... over and over again until you finally understand the concept of living in Thailand. I have stayed in Thailand long enough to know that many small merchants, including 7-11, don't have a large "float" of cash to change large bills. I plan ahead and always have enough 20 and 100 baht notes to cover most of what I need on a daily basis.

I draw my money out of the bank's ATM and go straight into the bank and have a good portion changed into smaller bills. I like cargo pants with the extra 4 pockets. I put my 20 baht notes in one pocket and the 100 baht notes into a separate pocket. My larger notes go into my wallet. That way I can easily reach for what I want without looking.

No problem with change in 7-11, but I do get the daily 'which box does he want? soft or hard?' ritual with the cigarettes.

Some seem to assume that I want the hard box, apparently foreigners like a hard box! They ask each other, correct each other, pass a few different boxes of cigarettes around until they're reasonably sure that they've got the right one.

I just wait, smile and tell them 'arai gor dai khap' every day, in the same shop with the same people.

Not really a hassle, just another thing to smile about . :)

Exaclty Right !!!!!!!, makes you wonder though why !

I think it's because, in my case, there aren't a lot of foreigners about and they're a little nervous about serving me. They think they might have to speak English, which could potentially be embarrassing. They also want to give me what I want, and again, due to the language barrier, feel they can't easily find out. Fact is, I don't really care what box the ciggies come in :)

It's all due to the perceived 'strangeness' of a foreign face and that people serving in 7-11 usually haven't been out of school long and just get a bit nervous I think.

The reason that they don't remember is that it's not really important, they're very busy and just have other stuff to think about. Perfectly understandable, I don't see why my particular needs should be of any significance really :)

They've always got change for a 1k note though, the shop is very busy all day and all night. That denomination of note is certainly not strange to them.

Man its the brain freeze I see it all the time. Ive seen accidents where the car behind has literally acted like a horse bolting. Had loads of time to steer away and I mean loads but just couldnt.

In my opinion it all comes down to being too concerned about what other people think, too much paranoia of how they will look to either you or those around. Ego's here always rule over common sense

B) Yes, These are the things that one must learn to deal with when you decide to live in "Muang Thai". On almost my first visit I learned the importance of having plenty of "small money". Ever try to pay a 150 Baht Taxi fare with a 500 Baht note? There is no taxi driver in all of Thailand that will have change. Even though they probably have a couple of thousand bahts in 20's. They are hoping that the Farang will just say keep the change! I was eventually able to cut through most of this BS because my Thai language skills got very good.Anyway It is always important to have small money and lots of it. I have been caught out on ocassion with a Thousand trying to make change for a couple of hundred baht less or bill.

A trick I learned was to (before 150 Bt bank fee) was to always withdraw something thousand and 900 Bat from the ATM.

AS for asking for Marlboro Red at the local 7/11. You have to remember that everything in Thai language is monosyllabic. You have to pronounce it that way or the average Thai will not have a clue. So for Marlboro Dang. You would ask for Mal-Bo -Ro- Dang , If you cant get the sawng Nueng right hold up 1 finger. In most instances the Thais were very amused or annoyed at my mastery of the language.

Do try to learn the language , I know for some it is very difficult if not impossible. It will make your stay much more enjoyable and endear you to the majority of Thais.

BTW I lived and worked in Thailand for 7 years and repatriated in 2007 with a thai wife and daughter.

LL

It doesn't take much effort to type in 9900 at the ATM instead of pressing the button for 10,000. If you do this constantly it also helps you immediately identify if there is any suspicious activity on your account, as a thief would tend to use round numbers.

Then you always get 4 100 baht notes for use at the market, and you can break the larger notes at retail chains where it isn't a problem. Just please don't break that 1000 on the tollway. One of my pet peeves. You will piss off a line of cars behind you waiting to get through while every other lane is moving.

As for the cigarrettes, I'm sure that 7-11 clerk sees thousands of people everyday. Why do you feel you are so special that she would remember you? Besides, how hard is it to say "boo-ree" and then simply point when she opens the cabinet? You are in Thailand after all. It is not a shock that someone doesn't understand English, no matter how clear and consistent you say it. I had to work with a guy from Scotland for a while. I'm sure he thought he was being very clear when he spoke also, but frankly he could have been saying Martians were attacking for all I could understand him.

Edit: just saw llso's post above. Basically I just repeated him. Sorry about that.

Edited by gregb

No problem with change in 7-11, but I do get the daily 'which box does he want? soft or hard?' ritual with the cigarettes.

Some seem to assume that I want the hard box, apparently foreigners like a hard box! They ask each other, correct each other, pass a few different boxes of cigarettes around until they're reasonably sure that they've got the right one.

I just wait, smile and tell them 'arai gor dai khap' every day, in the same shop with the same people.

Not really a hassle, just another thing to smile about . :)

Exaclty Right !!!!!!!, makes you wonder though why !

Cheers mate ,

I think it's because, in my case, there aren't a lot of foreigners about and they're a little nervous about serving me. They think they might have to speak English, which could potentially be embarrassing. They also want to give me what I want, and again, due to the language barrier, feel they can't easily find out. Fact is, I don't really care what box the ciggies come in :)

It's all due to the perceived 'strangeness' of a foreign face and that people serving in 7-11 usually haven't been out of school long and just get a bit nervous I think.

The reason that they don't remember is that it's not really important, they're very busy and just have other stuff to think about. Perfectly understandable, I don't see why my particular needs should be of any significance really :)

They've always got change for a 1k note though, the shop is very busy all day and all night. That denomination of note is certainly not strange to them.

I

I remember on one of my first visits to Thailand I needed batteries for my walkman (yeah, it was that long ago, all you whippersnappers). I asked at several mom and pop shops and received blank stares. Traipsed back to the hotel to ask what the Thai word for 'battery' was.

"Bat-a-LEE", I was told. Emphasis on the "lee". Returned to the same shop and found that, miraculously, I'd been transformed into a fluent battery buyer.

And I paid in 20's

OP can do the same.

T

Cant smoke a battery I will try the pronunciation of malbourgh different ,how about mawbala, or mowbera,or maleburrow, on and on LOL

Yes, it's a shame we can't smoke batteries; they may kill us faster, but at least they'd be cheaper if we used the rechargeable ones. :)

T

Nice One lol lol :D

It doesn't take much effort to type in 9900 at the ATM instead of pressing the button for 10,000. If you do this constantly it also helps you immediately identify if there is any suspicious activity on your account, as a thief would tend to use round numbers.

Then you always get 4 100 baht notes for use at the market, and you can break the larger notes at retail chains where it isn't a problem. Just please don't break that 1000 on the tollway. One of my pet peeves. You will piss off a line of cars behind you waiting to get through while every other lane is moving.

As for the cigarrettes, I'm sure that 7-11 clerk sees thousands of people everyday. Why do you feel you are so special that she would remember you? Besides, how hard is it to say "boo-ree" and then simply point when she opens the cabinet? You are in Thailand after all. It is not a shock that someone doesn't understand English, no matter how clear and consistent you say it. I had to work with a guy from Scotland for a while. I'm sure he thought he was being very clear when he spoke also, but frankly he could have been saying Martians were attacking for all I could understand him.

Edit: just saw llso's post above. Basically I just repeated him. Sorry about that.

Good explanation. The OP should try going to a convenience store in his homeland and ordering something in Chinese. You can imagine the reaction. Why do these FOB newbies feel that every Thai in Thailand has to speak English? As for the large bills, again, try going to a street vendor in, say, New York City, and buy a pretzel or foot-long with a US$100 bill (similar to a 1,000 bt bill in purchasing power). You'll probably get an annoyed-look, if not downright hostility. Seems like common sense....but maybe "it's just me."

No happens all the time. Somedays when you have 10k in your pocket you can't buy anything because the money you have is worthless. I would go to the market with a 1000 baht bill and can't buy anything because no one would change it. So I would have to go to 7/11. They get annoyed because they have to put the bill in the safe under the counter and wait for the change to come out of the automatic safe.

Some day I just want to go to the bank and change for a pack of 20s or 50s.

15 years ago it was hard to break a 1000 baht note. now days the 1000 baht note is worth very little in comparison i find. the other day a motorcycle guy broke one for me.

I think he wants "song Keang"

I am a fluent Thai speaker and sometimes when I go into a 7 11 for smokes, the gorgeous girl asks me if I want soft or hard. I look at her and the only word that comes to mind is hard! Still prefer the soft packs though.

For ciggies - find a mom and pop shop (not a seven). Every morning my guy sees me walking to the shop and has the correct ciggies on the counter before I get there.

Also agree on the odd amounts from the ATM to get some 100s with the mix.

Sorry mate, If you walk around with a bunch of 1000 bt bank notes and don't speak the lingo you are heading for trouble one way or another. How do you manage taxi journeys? Why not withdraw nine hundred or four hundred at a time. Learn how to say left. right, up down (si,quar, krong bon, krong lan) so you can point at things behind the counter. Learn the colours, its not rocket science. In the Uk if someone walked around trying to buy small items with a fifty pound note in the same shops everyday and didn't speak a word of the language they'd look like a bit of a dick, no?

Yeah , good advice mate, will take that onboard ! not

I don't use 7/11's much so I don't know if they are any different to other small retail outlets in Thailand. In our local tool/hardware shop and the electrical shop round the corner my inability to speak Thai is easily overcome by the eagerness of the staff, old or young, to sus out what I'm trying to buy. It's a pleasure to go in those places - somewhat of a contrast with Tescos, where if the young female staff displayed a little more enthusiasm and intelligence they might just qualify to work in a bar.

Why not? It makes perfect sense.

Donr

Why not? It makes perfect sense.

It may to you, Try drawing out 900, when i can only draw 1000 at a time, I dont see any problem with saying RED, WER, LED, Remember its a £20 note, NOT a £50 pounds note

if a foeienger comes into my shop with a Twenty Pound note would NOT have a problem with selling him fags and other bits Whats the problem !!!!. ESPIICALLY IF THE SMAE BLOKE COMES IN DAY AFTER DAY

It just isnt cigs I buy in 7/11, i do spend about 400-450 evertime,

Anyway, thanks for replying

Good explanation. The OP should try going to a convenience store in his homeland and ordering something in Chinese. You can imagine the reaction. Why do these FOB newbies feel that every Thai in Thailand has to speak English? As for the large bills, again, try going to a street vendor in, say, New York City, and buy a pretzel or foot-long with a US$100 bill (similar to a 1,000 bt bill in purchasing power). You'll probably get an annoyed-look, if not downright hostility. Seems like common sense....but maybe "it's just me."

Seems to me - the basic root to this issue is many don't consider that there is another thought process and actions outside of their own. Culturally-centric, sort to speak. Logic should dictate, yet in most situations doesn't.

I have a grocer store lady always gives me two packets of Marlboro red even if I just want milk or beer.."Here is Farang again ...give him his buuries?"..lol There is also a little girl that works there...usually just grabs a case of Archa puts it on her shoulder and puts in the truck without me opening my mouth...

I used to just hold up two fingers in a victory sign and show my empty pack...

Oh and re change..happens all the time..don't know why it is such a problem for OP... only takes a few minutes for them to get change..leaving you a little time to think about what else you needed but forgot or just check out that cute thing buying shampoo???

Some times the hubby will hand over a shot glass of some alcohol concoction or other to see my reaction on "shooting" it...gives 'em all a giggle..and me heart burn at 9am....

Seems to me - the basic root to this issue is many don't consider that there is another thought process and actions outside of their own. Culturally-centric, sort to speak. Logic should dictate, yet in most situations doesn't.

Very True !