Pool Pump

negreanu

Couple of question for the new pool owner:

Running the pump and ozonator 8 hours a day. In BKK is there a cheap rate of electricity such as in the uk so it would be cheaper to run the pump during those hours 6pm-6am for example or is the electricity fee standard same rate all day in bkk.

Ozone pool is there anyway of checking the functioning correctly of the ozone generation. it comes on with the pump runs and there is a little glowing light on the box but not convinced its actually doing anything!

Can't say there is but I wouldn't suggest running it at night anyways in this heat it needs to run during the hottest part of the day for proper filtration and sanitation especially with something like Ozone which dissipates rapidly and only sanitizes while it's in contact with bacteria and kills it off quickly but doesn't have a residual effect for any length of time like Cl2 does for example.

• 1 month later...

Best time to run the pump is 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the late afternoon.

If you have a salt chlorinator - this then puts chlorine in the pool for the day and the late afternoon for bacteria kill overnight when the sun/UV doesn't break down the chlorine.

If you are hand dosing chlorine then late afternoon is the best for a bacteria kill over night.

"WarpSpeed" is correct about the ozone issues.

Don't need a ozone system on a domestic pool if you have a salt chlorinator and the water is in balance!

Too much electricity as well!

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I am no pool expert far from it however I believe that after 6 years I have now found the perfect swimming pool pump and it was less than 20,000 Thai baht. Having had problems with my 6 year old pump I decided to replace it , What I was looking for was a pump that would reduce my costs in electricity, a pump that was really quiet as my pump room is both under a bedroom and next to a bedroom and last but not least a pump with low Co2 emissions. After endless hours reading forums on certain models as well as emailing manufacturers from all over the world I came to the conclusion that the make of pump I required was from Australia by a company called Astralpool, the pump in question was a 1.5 hp Viron P300. This pump is a 3 speed pump is super quite and claims to have a vastly reduced Co2 emission. Two weeks ago I had it installed and WOW is not a strong enough word to describe this awesome pump. when the pump starts it is on its highest setting but after 5 minutes it sets itself on economy My pool hold 72,000 ltrs of water and although on economy it can turn the whole amount of water in less than 6 hours I have to say that my water has never been so clear. I have a hearing problem but with my old pump even I knew when it came on and off my wife has excellent hearing and she admits to not hearing the new pump The pump comes on at 10.30 in the evening until 04.30 and having slept in both the bedrooms nearest the pump room you cannot hear the pump on economy the pump used 0.5 kw in 1 hour. when speaking with Astrolpool they did tell me that in order to get the best from the pump it was recommended that all pipes were 50mm which my pool pipes are also the Basket is huge. The Viron is a brushless DC motor and although in Australia you get a 3 year warranty the Thai supplier I went to only gives a 1 year warranty but as we all know in Thailand a warranty is not worth the paper it is written on Here on Samui we have off peak electric which is between 2200 hrs and 0900 hours Mon-Fr and all day Sat & Sun and holidays believe me but not many people are aware of it. I noted that another forum member mentioned that they have their water on for 2x4 hours however I believe that you should have your pump on long enough to ensure a complete cycle of water turnover. I hope that this write up is of help to you and other forum members as a retiree I have to watch the pennies and I believe this pump is the best on the market i spent over 100 hours in research to ensure I got the right pump ,on finishing can I mention that after 6 hours on economy the motor is just warm with my old pump you could burn your hand if touched.

• 1 month later...

^ The problem I see is that you shouldn't be running it at night anyways. Additionally when comparing your new pump with a 6 year old pump that had problems which ultimately caused it's demise (and outdated technology and who knows what quality it was to begin with) and likely those problems were failing bearings it's more then likely that under those circumstances any new pump would be almost negligible in noise in comparison so while I'm sure the company appreciates your plug it's not entirely just this brand of pump making up the entire difference..