The Mindset Of Some "Mechanics"

Kf6vci

Can't resist venting on this great topic of crap work and mental mechanics and service shops. ;-)

My 8 year old Kaze scooter has never been serviced anywhere but Rama 9 Kawasaki, the main dealer service center in Bangkok. Well, I do stop down the street locally for oil changes now and again, and clean/gap the plug and service air filter myself.

So I call Kawasaki on a Thursday or Friday wanting to get the bike in for routine (annual) tune up/check up. No problem bring it in. Planning to leave it for the weekend, no rush, but when dropping the bike, told Tuesday would be the soonest. (Thinking so why did you tell me to bring it in if you're that busy?)

With wife and I explaining that nothing is broken, but we want the bike 'Per-Fek' (Thai word, ya' know) they finally write a work order. I want them to check/change drive chain and even sprockets if needed as it's hidden under plastic, change fork oil, motor oil and oil filter screen change, (service guys say there is such a thing...never knew.) new plug and air filter foam, check/change brake shoes, clean carb, check and lube cables and wheel bearings (not sure if they're sealed or not, this is why I use the factory service center). Generally check everything.

Call them 5 working days later on Wednesday and get told almost done, working now, we'll call you. Friday call again and get told working now, not finished and with a crappy attitude like I'm bugging them to boot! Saturday morning I call and am told... can you guess... 'almost finished', and again, a crappy attitude on the phone (They got a crappy attitude right back on that call!) Late Saturday afternoon I get a call that it's done and can pick it up in the hour before the shop closes.

Yeah right, have you been on Rama 9 inbound on a Saturday afternoon?

I'm busy Monday, (Gee something to do besides fool around with a scooter service? LOL!) Tuesday get a call from Mr. whoever has a bad, short tone on the phone asking if I'm gonna pick it up. OK, manage to get over there before closing. Try to get someone to go over what actually got done- no one has much to say, not even a mention of the 8 day tuneup -the spare parts in the basket consist of a float bowl gasket and a cracked fuel vent hose. Go next door and pay and start to ride down Rama 9 road in almost 6:00 traffic heading out of Bangkok. Engine is feeling strong, but man is it riding harsh! Yep they did work on the bike, cause both tires are at 45 lbs/psi!

Bottom line after the 8-day tune up the bike now starts harder than it ever has, otherwise I would have forgotten the whole fiasco by now. If I ever reach 20,000 km on it I think I'll try some place different. Glad I have a reliable mechanic for the big bikes!

That's strange, I've always had great service from them except for one time it took them 4 hours to change the oil on my KSR on my day off which kind of ruined my plans for the day.

Just out of interest, who's your mechanic for big bikes? I assume they're in Bangkok - who do you use?

Can't resist venting on this great topic of crap work and mental mechanics and service shops. ;-)

My 8 year old Kaze scooter has never been serviced anywhere but Rama 9 Kawasaki, the main dealer service center in Bangkok. Well, I do stop down the street locally for oil changes now and again, and clean/gap the plug and service air filter myself.

So I call Kawasaki on a Thursday or Friday wanting to get the bike in for routine (annual) tune up/check up. No problem bring it in. Planning to leave it for the weekend, no rush, but when dropping the bike, told Tuesday would be the soonest. (Thinking so why did you tell me to bring it in if you're that busy?)

With wife and I explaining that nothing is broken, but we want the bike 'Per-Fek' (Thai word, ya' know) they finally write a work order. I want them to check/change drive chain and even sprockets if needed as it's hidden under plastic, change fork oil, motor oil and oil filter screen change, (service guys say there is such a thing...never knew.) new plug and air filter foam, check/change brake shoes, clean carb, check and lube cables and wheel bearings (not sure if they're sealed or not, this is why I use the factory service center). Generally check everything.

Call them 5 working days later on Wednesday and get told almost done, working now, we'll call you. Friday call again and get told working now, not finished and with a crappy attitude like I'm bugging them to boot! Saturday morning I call and am told... can you guess... 'almost finished', and again, a crappy attitude on the phone (They got a crappy attitude right back on that call!) Late Saturday afternoon I get a call that it's done and can pick it up in the hour before the shop closes.

I'm busy Monday, (Gee something to do besides fool around with a scooter service? LOL!) Tuesday get a call from Mr. whoever has a bad, short tone on the phone asking if I'm gonna pick it up. OK, manage to get over there before closing. Try to get someone to go over what actually got done- no one has much to say, not even a mention of the 8 day tuneup -the spare parts in the basket consist of a float bowl gasket and a cracked fuel vent hose. Go next door and pay and start to ride down Rama 9 road in almost 6:00 traffic heading out of Bangkok. Engine is feeling strong, but man is it riding harsh! Yep they did work on the bike, cause both tires are at 45 lbs/psi!

Bottom line after the 8-day tune up the bike now starts harder than it ever has, otherwise I would have forgotten the whole fiasco by now. If I ever reach 20,000 km on it I think I'll try some place different. Glad I have a reliable mechanic for the big bikes!

i dont think there is such thing as preventive maintainance or routine service in thailand

thai mentality seems to be just drive it til it dies,explodes ,or falls off ,then repair it as cheaply as possibly .......and drive it til it dies again

a "full service" consists of an oil change and your tyres inflated to dangerously high pressures if you watch them doing it

if you dont watch them doing it ,they probably dont even bother changing the oil :rolleyes:

That's strange, I've always had great service from them except for one time it took them 4 hours to change the oil on my KSR on my day off which kind of ruined my plans for the day.

Just out of interest, who's your mechanic for big bikes? I assume they're in Bangkok - who do you use?

Yeah I always had good service from them over the years. Disappointing. Mai-pen-rai...

Have you been to Seacon square? On the road back to the track there used to be a big bike mechanic, but all the shops got torn down. Song Service has moved down to Udomsuk Rd (Sukhumvit 103) just west of Srinakarin Rd. Ina shop house on the South side, between the big Rao nightspot sign and srinakarin Road. He really knows his bikes, former military guy. Check out the google map in the Bike directory project at the top of the page... his number is there to. Song is his name.

J

Edited by Kwarium

Yeah I always had good service from them over the years. Disappointing. Mai-pen-rai...

Have you been to Seacon square? On the road back to the track there used to be a big bike mechanic, but all the shops got torn down. Song Service has moved down to Udomsuk Rd (Sukhumvit 103) just west of Srinakarin Rd. Ina shop house on the South side, between the big Rao nightspot sign and srinakarin Road. He really knows his bikes, former military guy. Check out the google map in the Bike directory project at the top of the page... his number is there to. Song is his name.

J

Good to know, I think that's the same guy that someone on here used when they blew up their gsxr (think it was Lenny) and they also said he did a great job with the repair.

Great story. :lol:

When it comes to bikes, we seem to live in a land of uneducated and lazy technicians.

After seeing so many botched jobs, I trust no one to fix my bike.

Even reputable shops like Kawasaki Pattaya stripped a frame nut and Pirelli Bangkok didn't tighten my axle slider.

Always watch as they work on your bike or double check it later.

Loose nuts and bolts can lead to broken arms and necks.

If you're trusting someone that gets paid a few hundred baht a day to do things right, good luck.

Kwarium touched on a critical issue.

I now have a mechanic (for metal work) that is just priceless in that if he don't have time, he will simply say that, and say come back next week. so i'm not wasting my time having my bike ova there for no reason.

But before i had another guy that used to tell me leave bike here, a week later still hadn't even got started :blink:

i dont think there is such thing as preventive maintainance or routine service in thailand

thai mentality seems to be just drive it til it dies,explodes ,or falls off ,then repair it as cheaply as possibly .......and drive it til it dies again

a "full service" consists of an oil change and your tyres inflated to dangerously high pressures if you watch them doing it

if you dont watch them doing it ,they probably dont even bother changing the oil :rolleyes:

The bikes i have seen in the worst condition have always been farang owned because they never know where to get parts or fix anything much less get it washed. I believe Thais take better care of their rides in general.

The bikes i have seen in the worst condition have always been farang owned because they never know where to get parts or fix anything much less get it washed. I believe Thais take better care of their rides in general.

Would say it is exactly the other way. Thais have the bikes in worst conditions, because they always know someone who is keeping their bike alive with minimal effort.

Odd... I've been using Kawasaki Rama 9 for service on my Kawasakis since 2008 and they have always been courteous, professional and timely. Despite having expanded their service area and having two new Kawasaki big bike dealers in Bangkok the service center at Rama 9 remains very busy which is why they require bookings for service. Have never had to leave a bike overnight. I'm a bit surprised that as busy as they are that they still work on scooters. I wonder who gave you attitude? Khun Chumphon, Chalerm and Noo are all very friendly guys but they do tell me stories about some of the crazy farang that they sometimes have to deal with... :rolleyes:

My experience has been the converse of most of those above - I've been mostly pleased, even amazed, at the service and price of my shade-tree and small-shop Thai mechanics. Then again I'm a super-cheap guy living on 30K/month upcountry, driving around on 6,000 baht bikes.

Most times when mechanics did minor repairs for me it came out cheaper and better than I expected, and when they take it upon themselves to make ajustments to the idle or mixture, it is usually an improvement. There was one exception with an old Tiara I had, where I had to use the choke to run it after the guy adjusted it, but even though the solution was less than ideal, the bike was actually more 'driveable' that way than the way it had been before.

I've yet to have anything major done like rebuilding an engine, though.

I wouldn't trust anyone other than myself to work on my blackbird 1100.

In the four years I have owned the bike. I have had to put so many "Thai bodges" right its unreal. They have no idea how to mend bikes to last more than a week. I have had to replace so many things.

Why they have to mess with Carbs is unreal. They just don't seem to realise that after messing with them they have to be rebalanced.

One of the worst repairs I found. Was on the swinging arm. At some point they had changed the swinging arm bushes. They must have had problems getting out the old bearings. So instead of warming the area and then pulling them out or tapping them out from the other side, very simple things to get out. Even in old old bikes, Some bright spark decided to cut them out with an hacksaw. thankfully it was just the one side.This on a bike that will if pushed do speeds of over 180 mph. Fortunately. Ali welding is one of my welding disciplines. So managed to weld it. But it will never be as strong as it was.

Question is why would you or anyone take a f@%#&%$# hacksaw to any part of a bike.

NO BRAINS AND LACK OF UNDERSTANDING. These guys are very very dangerous.

Would say it is exactly the other way. Thais have the bikes in worst conditions, because they always know someone who is keeping their bike alive with minimal effort.

Atleast they try to keep them alive, apart from big bikes most farangs i know drive it till it breaks, and the bike will be lucky if it ever gets washed once every 3 months.

NO BRAINS AND LACK OF UNDERSTANDING. These guys are very very dangerous.

If service manuals were made in Thai, im sure thai mechanics would be much better than they are now. If you've ever seen a service manual they explain things step by step, even a clown could follow it. :D

I know plenty of Thais who ride top of the line well maintained bikes serviced by factory trained professional Thai mechanics. Some of you whingers are painting Thai mechanics with a pretty broad brush bordering on racism. FWIW I've come across plenty of half-assed incompetent "mechanics" in western countries. Thailand doesn't have a monopoly on shitty mechanics.

I know plenty of Thais who ride top of the line well maintained bikes serviced by factory trained professional Thai mechanics. Some of you whingers are painting Thai mechanics with a pretty broad brush bordering on racism. FWIW I've come across plenty of half-assed incompetent "mechanics" in western countries. Thailand doesn't have a monopoly on shitty mechanics.

There is still no acountability in thailand ,in europe for example to work a big name dealership you would need to do a 3 year apprenticeship + college every week and even then you must actually graduate ,nobody will be employed without relevant qualifications and some service centres may provide addititional training on service to their particular models of vehicle

yamaha dindaeng rd still cant even get tyre pressures right and pump them up to near bursting point ,i have also yet to see anyone there using a torque wrench yet :rolleyes:

it just wouldnt happen like that in europe ,they would get a warning the first time if lucky and fired the second since its almost guaranteed people wil scream murder or take the dealer to court if a mechanic leaves their vehice in a dangerous condition

in thailand the kids working in bike shops probably get about 300 thb a day ,you cant compare that to a western mechanic who makes a few hundred euros a week + had years of study before he was allowed to take a spanner near somebodys car or bike

Thai mechanics and technicians can be very clever and fabricate parts and tools , whereas western mechanics would get stuck as soon as they didn't have a certain tool or a manufactured part immediately available.

Its pretty stupid to say no one uses air pressure gauges, the old lady, college girl and noodle vendor at the PTT station all use the free air pump and all set the tire pressure from what i've seen.

Im america MMI is a 10 month course, after that if your grades are good enough a dealer will take you on, no need for a 3 year course of study and certainly no college at the same time. There's training seminars for new bikes, but like i said as long as you can read a book you can follow the service manual.

...... but like i said as long as you can read a book you can follow the service manual.

but I think, it could be such a "losing face thing", if somchai would admit, he don't know howto.....and have to read a manual first :whistling:

Maybe he would be overwhelmed too, if the manual "suggests" to tighten bolts with a torque wrench, or use some special tools and not just a hammer and screwdriver (as a chisel)....B)

Edited by roban

Bordering on Racism? Harsh words from someone who likes thinking in stereotypes ;)

But i agree, it would be better if we seperate between "Somchai at the corner" and "Mechanics at official dealerships". If i bring my bike to an official dealer for repair or service, than i want to be sure to get back a safe bike. If i bring it to Somchai at the corner, than i do it on my own risk. It doesn't matter if it is in Thailand or somewhere else in the world.

...... but like i said as long as you can read a book you can follow the service manual.

but I think, it could be such a "losing face thing", if somchai would admit, he don't know howto.....and have to read a manual first :whistling:

Maybe he would be overwhelmed too, if the manual "suggests" to tighten bolts with a torque wrench, or use some special tools and not just a hammer and screwdriver (as a chisel)....B)

Dealerships have all the special tools available, car dealerships require that the mechanics check out any special tools and sign for them.

As far as screwdriver and hammer, can you suggest another way to remove a stripped nut in a corner not accessible with a socket?

I've run across quite a few mechanics that have openly admitted its better to just take it to the dealer. Same as the US.

Edited by KRS1

I've run across quite a few mechanics that have openly admitted its better to just take it to the dealer. Same as the US.

But where do you bring your Big-Bike, if it`s not a Kawa 650 or Ninjette?

When I bought my bike (an older GSXR, and yes, I knew before that it needed some work...), you won't believe (maybe you will ;))

how much crap I found.

Bike came with an one or two weeks old bill from a Big bike Shop on Sukhumvit.

They made an "inspection", changed Oil (filter?), chain + sprockets, etc....

The seller (Farang) claimed this shop would be very reliable and has skilled "mechanics"

First thing I discovered, when back home:

I could loosen all rear sprocket nuts with my fingers...the rear wheel wasn't fitted correctly. (The marks on the wing didn't match)

Later:

The clutch was "creatively" thrown together with wrong parts from another type of Suzuki.

The "new" oil had a nice black color, oil filter (what oil filter?)...etc....etc....

I am glad, I can fix these things by myself.:rolleyes:

But if you depend on a workshop....my deepest sympathy.

official dealers are not much better than mechanics in the small soi, i only go there every 4000km or whatever to get the warranty page ripped outta the book and keep the warranty intact

trusting them with a honda wave is one thing ,but when your bike can do near 200 mph you dont want to be wondering if they forgot to tighten the nuts :rolleyes:

a guy in my car park was changing the oil in his new hayabusa himself last night ,hes thai and he doesnt even trust the suzuki service centre in bkk to touch his bike :D