Thaksin's Return Is Overdue: Yongyuth

webfact

When was Aung San Suu Kyi elected to lead her country?

If you didn't notice, the junta submitted the country to elections in 2007.

I did notice but did you notice the last free election back in 1990 that the Burmese Junta never acknowledged the results.

From Wikipedia

In the 1990 general election, Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy party won 59% of the national votes and 81% (392 of 485) of the seats in Parliament.[2][3][4][5][6][7][8] She had, however, already been detained under house arrest before the elections. She remained under house arrest in Burma for almost 15 of the 21 years from 20 July 1989 until her release on 13 November 2010.[9].

So I guess the answer to your question was in 1990.

The information is easily available from many places on Google.

I just chose the first of about 7,660,000 hits about Aung San Suu Kyi and it only took me a minute or so.

You missed the part where *she* wasn't actually elected, so *she* couldn't be PM and lead her country.

Once you use Google, it is usually a good idea to read more than the first thing you come across, although in this case the information *was* in the wiki article you referenced.

It is true that she was not elected.

She was under house arrest by the military junta who lost the election but refused to accept the result and just kept on ruling as they still do today.

There were many restrictions on Aung San Suu Kyi and her party and I read in the news lately there are still some 2,500 "political" prisoners in the country even now.

Total power is never given up freely especially if it was stolen in the first place and the thieves have all the guns and money.

Imagine killing of monks and other innocent and unarmed people holding a peaceful protest asking for free and fair elections. What kind of country would do that without any warnings at all?

If the junta was so honest and respectable why are they subjected to so many sanctions from the rest of the world?

There are countries which are friendly towards them and help to support them. I can think of North Korea for one.

Edited by billd766

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic