Big Trouble In Bangkok

nwh1

More to this story than meets the eye I think....

For what is really such a petty crime, he should have been offered the way out at time of arrest.. Now it has gone to the court it can probably only end one way, a fine or short sentence then deportation afterwards.

His Visa will have already expired by the court date so even if he is let off with a slapped wrist, there will be a stay at immigration detention center and deportation required, your friend should be ready to procure the necessary return flight and have assistance from someone on the outside every step of the way.

It is a load of nonsense that he can get a new passport and exit Thailand because he will need immigration to transfer his old stamp to the new passport before he would be allowed to exit, unless of course he wants to enter Cambodia by the back door and turn up at the embassy in Pnohm Penh for a replacement.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How did the Yank know that the Tuk Tuk driver had some marijuana?

Why did the police appear on the scene? Were they given a tip off, was the Tuk Tuk driver an undercover policeman or what?

Was the Tuk Tuk driver also arrested?

What do you mean by he/we? Is this actually about the newbie, or was the newbie and his so called friend together at the time?

And why should the American Embassy become involved?

Without being in view of the full picture, it is impossible to answer the newbie.

This whole story doesn't make sense and if the newbie cannot elaborate further, then this is a troll thread.

I think my friend learned that TukTuk drivers sell dope while he was in Laos or Cambodia. It is common knowledge that motorcycle taxis do. I dont know why the police appeared on the scene. As far as I know, the Tuktuk driver was not arrested. This happened to my friend, not me. I got a phone call at 1am last night from him. He'd been released earlier in the day. I dont understand why think think this is BS. My friend was probably drunk at the time. He had taken a bus from northern Thailand down to Bangkok and it happened pretty much right after he got off the bus.

So how did the guy know that the Tuk Tuk driver sold dope?

Do Tuk Tuks ring a bell or something like an ice cream float? Or was he going around all day asking which Tuk Tuk drivers are supplying drugs?

And I can`t understand how the said Tuk Tuk driver avoided arrest, as surely he committed the most serious offence of dealing.

For the police to have any sort of criminal case against your friend, then he would have to explain from where or who he obtained the dope.

Sorry, but this setup seems totally weird and either someone is pulling the wool over the OPs eyes or there is a lot more to this.

how long have you lived in thailand ? have you ever spent any amount of time in kao san rd area or nana , and youve never been approached by a tuk tuk driver asking you do you want some ganga or coke? come off it !! rolleyes.gif does it not enter your head that the this is a classic set up in thailand, its been been happening for years.

Best plan of action? Go to court on the date given. A single joint isn't a big deal. If he's lying about what happened and he was really caught with a kilo of coke up his rectum that's a different story.

His brig problem is that his visa wxpires before he goes to court. THis means that after the case when he walks out the door of the court if he does, the immigration police will arrest him and detain him for deportation. If his visa has been extended they cannot do this.

If found guilty of a drug offense he will get deported anyway

Why did the police appear on the scene? Were they given a tip off, was the Tuk Tuk driver an undercover policeman or what?

What do you mean by he/we? Is this actually about the newbie, or was the newbie and his so called friend together at the time?

Without being in view of the full picture, it is impossible to answer the newbie.

This whole story doesn't make sense and if the newbie cannot elaborate further, then this is a troll thread.

I think my friend learned that TukTuk drivers sell dope while he was in Laos or Cambodia. It is common knowledge that motorcycle taxis do. I dont know why the police appeared on the scene. As far as I know, the Tuktuk driver was not arrested. This happened to my friend, not me. I got a phone call at 1am last night from him. He'd been released earlier in the day. I dont understand why think think this is BS. My friend was probably drunk at the time. He had taken a bus from northern Thailand down to Bangkok and it happened pretty much right after he got off the bus.

Do Tuk Tuks ring a bell or something like an ice cream float? Or was he going around all day asking which Tuk Tuk drivers are supplying drugs?

And I can`t understand how the said Tuk Tuk driver avoided arrest, as surely he committed the most serious offence of dealing.

For the police to have any sort of criminal case against your friend, then he would have to explain from where or who he obtained the dope.

Sorry, but this setup seems totally weird and either someone is pulling the wool over the OPs eyes or there is a lot more to this.

how long have you lived in thailand ? have you ever spent any amount of time in kao san rd area or nana , and youve never been approached by a tuk tuk driver asking you do you want some ganga or coke? come off it !! rolleyes.gif does it not enter your head that the this is a classic set up in thailand, its been been happening for years.

how long have you lived in thailand ?

30 odd years.

have you ever spent any amount of time in kao san rd area or nana ,

Yes.

and youve never been approached by a tuk tuk driver asking you do you want some ganga or coke?

No.

come off it !! rolleyes.gif does it not enter your head that the this is a classic set up in thailand, its been been happening for years.

Really?

Maybe I`ve never been stupid enough to fall for the bait.

So how well, did I do?

Are there any prizes for the right answers?

Edited by Beetlejuice

Is this true ? I'm pretty sure I've read of cases in the past where people get a fine for possession of 'weed'.

The fact that it has gone to court is very serious indeed, you must stop it going to court!, now you have to pay the Judge and immigration to stop deportation

Is this true ? I'm pretty sure I've read of cases in the past where people get a fine for possession of 'weed'.

Yeah, I'll I've ever heard about is small fine, probation, and sometimes mandatory drug counseling

Yeah, I'll I've ever heard about is small fine, probation, and sometimes mandatory drug counseling

for the thais maybe, not for fralang

Nope!

Best plan of action? Go to court on the date given. A single joint isn't a big deal. If he's lying about what happened and he was really caught with a kilo of coke up his rectum that's a different story.

His brig problem is that his visa wxpires before he goes to court. THis means that after the case when he walks out the door of the court if he does, the immigration police will arrest him and detain him for deportation. If his visa has been extended they cannot do this.

Clearly a post written by someone who doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

BTW, the only thing a lawyer can help you with is possibly being a link to sorting this out with immigration; they need to write a letter saying basically that you are a good guy who made a mistake etc., then your visa will be extended and you will be allowed to stay in the kingdom. He may also help you so you don't have to stay in lock up on the day of your court appearance, both before and after your case is heard.

Once it is in the system there is no way you can get out of it.

Update: I have a copy of the police report. It is the ONLY document he was given aside from a card saying when he needs to go back to court.

The police report says the incident happened on Ko San Rd. He was looking "suspicious" so the police searched him. It says he had 3 grams (he says it was less than a gram). It also says he had 10 tablets of Alprazolam. (he was told the Alprazolam was taken off the charges because he had a prescription).

He was not given any receipt for his passport or the 20k "insurance" that he paid.

He did say that there were some lawyers at the courthouse that he had a chance to speak to and they said that he would not go to jail because it was a small amount and it was his first offence.

Note: the police did give him an opportunity to buy himself out of the situation for 30k which he did not have on him or in the bank at the time of the instance. As mentioned before, he was never given a phone call or any visit from a lawyer or embassy official. At the court, he was assigned a translator who he was told to pay 500 baht to. In addition the police took his pocket money off him and when he requested water while in the prison the guards said "money,money" where he answered, "you took all my money". Fortunately, the other prisoners sharing his sell gave him water.

He is seeking legal help and I will update after he goes to court.

Update: I have a copy of the police report. It is the ONLY document he was given aside from a card saying when he needs to go back to court.

The police report says the incident happened on Ko San Rd. He was looking "suspicious" so the police searched him. It says he had 3 grams (he says it was less than a gram). It also says he had 10 tablets of Alprazolam. (he was told the Alprazolam was taken off the charges because he had a prescription).

He was not given any receipt for his passport or the 20k "insurance" that he paid.

He did say that there were some lawyers at the courthouse that he had a chance to speak to and they said that he would not go to jail because it was a small amount and it was his first offence.

Note: the police did give him an opportunity to buy himself out of the situation for 30k which he did not have on him or in the bank at the time of the instance. As mentioned before, he was never given a phone call or any visit from a lawyer or embassy official. At the court, he was assigned a translator who he was told to pay 500 baht to. In addition the police took his pocket money off him and when he requested water while in the prison the guards said "money,money" where he answered, "you took all my money". Fortunately, the other prisoners sharing his sell gave him water.

He is seeking legal help and I will update after he goes to court.

well, he had his out, but could not afford it.

One should not throw stones in a glass house.

The embassy has a duty to provide Consular assistance and while this does not cover legal advice should cover liason to obtain the passport from the court to get a court extension from immigration.

only if the Embassy have been informed.

It will be if he informs them. Beetlejuice asked what the embassy had to do with it...I answered. THe passsport is the ppoperty of the US govt so they have a right to know too.

I don't really follow your train of thought on your comment. Just how and why is it any of the embassy's concern if some podunk get arrested for buying a joint from a tuktuk driver?

The American Embassy would have been my FIRST call... providing the police gave me that option. And, yes, your friend WAS stupid. Not knowing the harsh drug laws of Thailand is very foolish.

It's more foolish not knowing how to pay off the initial police before it even goes to court.

20 years ago, when I was young, 500 baht was enough to pay off a policeman for a joint. Nowadays, maybe 5000 would be enough.

Also, neved sign anything you can't read.

Bingo, correct answer. Same in all countries. The sooner you ante up the tea money, the faster you are on your way. Dig in your heals and you are in for one hell of a ride.

Surely you are not this naive.

The embassy has a duty to provide Consular assistance and while this does not cover legal advice should cover liason to obtain the passport from the court to get a court extension from immigration.

only if the Embassy have been informed.

It will be if he informs them. Beetlejuice asked what the embassy had to do with it...I answered. THe passsport is the ppoperty of the US govt so they have a right to know too.

I don't really follow your train of thought on your comment. Just how and why is it any of the embassy's concern if some podunk get arrested for buying a joint from a tuktuk driver?

When a person is arrested his embassy is supposed to be informed. This does not always happen. The embassy is only able to provide limited assistence but in the case of most it consists of providing the person with a list of lawyers, contacting his family and ensuring that the person is afforded the same treatment as a citizen of the country they are in. They also visit prisoners in jail periodicly to check on their welfare.

the following link shows the limits of the assistance an Australian citizen can obtain.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/tips/gaolos.html

Agreed. I have been approached many times by tuk tuk drivers asking if I want to buy ganja or coke! :P However I'm not as stupid as the OP's friend.

Incorrect.

Same applies to Aliens as to Thai.

Not normally deported, small fine ( approx:2,500 THB is the norm ) and a years probation. ( just remaining out of trouble..)

This is the norm, but as anything goes...

( this was also the case of a young alien arrested for the big H in a small quanity up north around a year and a half ago, but with the "new" "war on drugs" things could change for the dog n pony show. Uncle is the Numba 2 man at Narcotics Control Board in BKK who varifies this and also the criminal judge who resides across the street from FIL/MIL also. )