Headless Body Of A Western Woman Washed Ashore On Koh Chang

webfact

how many thais you no with blonde hair and blue eyes!! maybe a katoy haha

thailand has become a very dangerous place _many people dissapear never to be seen again..... back last year a farang lady in soi boukow was found tied to a tree suffocated,her jeans wrapped around her ankles_used condoms nearby.."police say they can not tell at this stage if sexual acts had taken place---- police are like buffalo--stupid-!! this is a warning to lady tourists who travel to thailand_expecially those alone...dont be fooled into thinking these people are here to help you_you are farang..they just think your a rich tourist visiting a poverty country.

and will steal what ever they can from you if given the oppertunity.i have seen this at first hand.....they take your kindness as a weakness...thailand has become a graveyard for the farang tourist............with the baht ----again the pound sterling slides to just under 46

people cannot afford to travel to thailand...when i first started visiting this wonderful country i recieived 72 baht to the £

thailand will collapse simply because it rely upon tourism_and with these stories of farang ladies being killed_only deter others not to travel.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thailand has become a very dangerous place _many people dissapear never to be seen again..... back last year a farang lady in soi boukow was found tied to a tree suffocated,her jeans wrapped around her ankles_used condoms nearby.."police say they can not tell at this stage if sexual acts had taken place---- police are like buffalo--stupid-!! this is a warning to lady tourists who travel to thailand_expecially those alone...dont be fooled into thinking these people are here to help you_you are farang..they just think your a rich tourist visiting a poverty country.

and will steal what ever they can from you if given the oppertunity.i have seen this at first hand.....they take your kindness as a weakness...thailand has become a graveyard for the farang tourist............with the baht ----again the pound sterling slides to just under 46

people cannot afford to travel to thailand...when i first started visiting this wonderful country i recieived 72 baht to the £

thailand will collapse simply because it rely upon tourism_and with these stories of farang ladies being killed_only deter others not to travel.

cheesy.gif

Not at all disagreeing with you but some might also find the reporter a bit sick for not using a different term or words to describe the positioning of the body.

As an ex-paramedic I confirm the term is used, by forensics, police. It's a phrase to describe the position

It is also a phrase that is in bad taste to use in a news report when the victim's body has no head and face .... then again, so is showing a picture of dead, decaying, bloated and headless body.

I can confirm a lot of phrases are used by many people but it would still be in bad taste if the reporter were to have said things like ...

The police headed down to the beach where the headless body was found.

The police hope to make headway in their investigation into the cause of death.

There was a headcount taken of the people on the beach at the time.

Personally I don't believe anything was meant by using the term "face down" but it simply was in bad taste and somebody should have caught that before they ran the story ... especially with so many other available terms to say the body was found lying on its stomach ... or simply not even mentioning it since it really is not that relevant in terms of what way the tides left the body.

Edited by Nisa

constantly telling people to deal in facts, and when someone reports something that is factually correct then it is bad taste. Do you need a face to be facing downwards?? I would guess here the word is being used a verb rather than a noun so it is not referring to her face. A woman is dead and you are arguing about the term used, unbelievable.

the FACT is the corpse was found face down, if this is how it was reported by the police to the press then this is how the press will report it, as FACT

:rolleyes:

Now I can't be bothered to enter into a lengthy pointless discussion with you today, feel free to rant away about the rights and wrongs of journalism, hey maybe if you push hard enough the emergency services will change their terms just for you <_<

Not at all disagreeing with you but some might also find the reporter a bit sick for not using a different term or words to describe the positioning of the body.

As an ex-paramedic I confirm the term is used, by forensics, police. It's a phrase to describe the position

It is also a phrase that is in bad taste to use in a news report when the victim's body has no head and face .... then again, so is showing a picture of dead, decaying, bloated and headless body.

On it's front,, or on it;s back would have been not so harsh, so this time they should have been more sensitive in the wording. Os is it because it happened here, and the cold feelings re-the dead, because they have departed thats FINAL so publish your news of accidents and graphic pics to boot who cares.

Forensics may use the term in reports to coroner etc, but bad taste to splash it in news.

I agree Nisa.

very classy - putting a pic of the deceased up for all to see....

This is horrible, especially for the VICTIM and HER FAMILY! Please stop the nonsense posts about "face down." Thailand has changed in terms of its murder rate (not in the right direction). While rare, tourists are being killed. I can think of several events over the past five years: two Russian girls murdered while sitting on beach chairs on Jomtien Beach; several tourists killed near and around Krabi; more killed in Chiang Mai; now a girl found minus a head. There are many other stories like this--too many to list here. Some recorded officially as "suicide" or "accident" when common sense tells thinking people otherwise. I strongly believe that female tourists should be careful here and not think that this place is "safer than back home". Do not travel alone. Having said that, there is no reason to panic or not come here and enjoy the place. As stated, these events do not happen very often, but they do happen. And we do not yet know what precisely happened to this unfortunate girl.

Os is it because it happened here, and the cold feelings re-the dead, because they have departed thats FINAL so publish your news of accidents and graphic pics to boot who cares.

I still have not really got a handle on the view of death here. The country is Buddhist and like all religious people, there is varying degrees of how much they really practice their religion and what they choose or choose not to believe but they all seem to cope with death pretty well. However, in all my experiences with death here, Thais are very unemotional compared to people in the west when a loved one dies. On face (no pun intended) value, it would seem a Christian would be happier to see a loved one depart because they are going to heaven but yet we still see people getting very very upset at Christian funerals. On the other hand, a Bhuddist may have to be reborn as a cockroach but Thais don't generally view death as such a traumatic event.

Os is it because it happened here, and the cold feelings re-the dead, because they have departed thats FINAL so publish your news of accidents and graphic pics to boot who cares.

I still have not really got a handle on the view of death here. The country is Buddhist and like all religious people, there is varying degrees of how much they really practice their religion and what they choose or choose not to believe but they all seem to cope with death pretty well. However, in all my experiences with death here, Thais are very unemotional compared to people in the west when a loved one dies. On face (no pun intended) value, it would seem a Christian would be happier to see a loved one depart because they are going to heaven but yet we still see people getting very very upset at Christian funerals. On the other hand, a Bhuddist may have to be reborn as a cockroach but Thais don't generally view death as such a traumatic event.

Takes a lot of understanding the Thai way--In the west in general whether they are going to heaven or hell, they are classed in general as a very sad loss -a personal feeling of a friend or relative departing , not sharing in their lives ever more thats where the people left see it. This personal feeling of losing someone dear hits the nerve and creates heatache.

So in this part of the world I cannot understand how most people can cope with the loss so easily. Just to me it's natural to grieve to the loss and more if the person was very close. YOU MISS THEM that's why.

To finish how on earth can crude pictures of the deceased be displayed for all to see. Sorry sick society, and total lack of feeling.

constantly telling people to deal in facts, and when someone reports something that is factually correct then it is bad taste. Do you need a face to be facing downwards?? I would guess here the word is being used a verb rather than a noun so it is not referring to her face. A woman is dead and you are arguing about the term used, unbelievable.

the FACT is the corpse was found face down, if this is how it was reported by the police to the press then this is how the press will report it, as FACT

Now I can't be bothered to enter into a lengthy pointless discussion with you today, feel free to rant away about the rights and wrongs of journalism, hey maybe if you push hard enough the emergency services will change their terms just for you <_<

Are you simply trying to be argumentative? Your logic makes no sense. It is simply being pointed out that another term should or could have been used to show more respect and not have some people get a giggle out of that term in such a tragic story. I would not be surprised to see this news article be featured on late night comedy/talk shows in the US when they show funny/ironic news clippings.

Do you really not understand there is a rude way and a more compassionate way to report facts ... especially in a tragic story such as this where family members and loved ones will almost surely read this story and already have to deal with the picture?

Edited by Nisa

Takes a lot of understanding the Thai way--In the west in general whether they are going to heaven or hell, they are classed in general as a very sad loss -a personal feeling of a friend or relative departing , not sharing in their lives ever more thats where the people left see it. This personal feeling of losing someone dear hits the nerve and creates heatache.

So in this part of the world I cannot understand how most people can cope with the loss so easily. Just to me it's natural to grieve to the loss and more if the person was very close. YOU MISS THEM that's why.

To finish how on earth can crude pictures of the deceased be displayed for all to see. Sorry sick society, and total lack of feeling.

Good point regarding the loss of a loved one instead of just being about where they are headed. Another strange thing (at least for me) is that a close family member will be lost here and the family members are scared sh@tless the person's ghost will return and talk to them. Maybe it is just me but I would love it if a departed loved one could come back and talk to me.

Are you simply trying to be argumentative? Your logic makes no sense. It is simply being pointed out that another term should have been used to show more respect and not have some people get a giggle out of that term in such a tragic story. I would not be surprised to see this news article be featured on late night comedy/talk shows in the US when they show funny/ironic news clippings.

Do you really not understand there is a rude way and a more compassionate way to report facts ... especially in a tragic story such as this where family members and loved ones will almost surely read this story and already have to deal with the picture?

Nisa -he is going by the book and forgetting our comments about FEELINGS.

OK people, we are done here. Done. Next person to carp on and on about a phrase in the report will find themselves duly warned. Enough. If you can't discuss the topic at hand you may find yourself unable to discuss anything at all.

We are DONE. Clear?

They view it a bit different because they see more of it than the common farang. We have become so sanitized in the west that birth usually takes place in a hospital and no longer in the home. The same can be applied to death clean and sanitized get old sick granny to the hospital so she can die there instead of at home. Having attended a furneral in Issan I can say they are much more involved in the whole thing than falangs. If you have someone cremated they deliver the ashes to you in a jar but in Issan they dig thru the ashes looking for some bone or tooth of the deceased to place in a amulate.Thai people I think have a much more realistic and healthy outlook on death than most falangs.

Edited by moe666

Actually, in terms of some types of violent crime (e.g. by gun), Thailand ranks number one (that means worst in the world) : http://www.nationmas...icides-firearms

Nationmaster stats are a joke; look at where they have placed Mexico - obviously all their drug murders do not count, I'm sure they should rank a lot higher than peaceful NZ and Australia on per capita basis

If you care to look at their overall murder stats, only 37 countries world-wide, and they do not even have a figure for Thailand.

I wouldn't quote them.

RIP.

Not much more in the Thai report -- the body was found on what is known as White Sand Beach on Koh Chang, behind a boutique resort called Top Resort, must have been a terrible shock to the workers who found the body and reported it.

The report did state that the Police Lieutenant Colonel in charge thought that death had occurred elsewhere and the body had been carried by waves and tides and washed up.

However, Koh Chang is 5 kilometers offshore, which seems to me quite a long way for a body to float, if death occurred on the mainland.

Let's hope the police can find out what happened.

Edit: White Sand Beach is on the western (i.e. not facing the mainland) side of the island., so that's even more of a distance to drift.

Edited by RickBradford

RIP.

However, Koh Chang is 5 kilometers offshore, which seems to me quite a long way for a body to float, if death occurred on the mainland.

Not really, surface sea currents in the gulf of Thailand can get to around 1.5-1.8 knts, therefore a body could float that distance in a couple of hours just on the current alone.

OK, thanks for pointing that out -- I know very little about ocean tides and currents.

I guess, though, that the majority of foreigners in that part of Thailand would be staying on the island rather than in Trat or along the coast there.

So I'm sure that Colonel Praserd Samartgul of the Trat police, the man in charge, will be checking the Koh Chang hotels for missing guests as a first pass.

My heart goes out to the family of the poor woman of this heinous crime as dismembering a body is far more a savage act than murder alone.

And sorry for using your post alone as there are many with the same assumtion that the perpetrator is Thai (this was my first thought too) but hopefully the attorities have a more broad view and not discount farlangs on the island at the time as there are many 200 baht a day backpackers getting by on the island on a cocktail of chemist drugs and sangsom as I have had encounters with them personally.

Remember the bodyless head hanging from the Rama VIII bridge a couple of years ago? That was ruled a suicide.

When there's a decapitation, two words come to mind: Russian Mob.

The fella attempted to hang himself, however the impact when the noose tightened decapitated him.

Hence why they found the decapitated body under the bridge, and his head still hanging from it.

Suicide, not Moscow Mafia.

What is always important to remember in these kinds of reports is the translation may be off, Indeed the google translation of the original report is so poor it is impossible to glean any concrete fact other than from the pic. Or the reporter may be off, or a statement is misconstrued or.. or or.. or.. .

I think the woman in the river must be Caucasian, if indeed she has blue eyes and no reports have contradicted that seemingly concrete statement.

The Koh Chang body, 6 days in the water ( which blanches the skin ) cannot possible be ID as any race definitively without a face until DNA tests can be done and certainly her nationality may never be determined.

So we have two dead women, possibly both Caucasian and let us not forget the dead baby at the airport found strangled at the same time. Was that body's race ID'd?

^ the first one, in Chao Phraya, was reported incorrectly - not a foreigner - link to updated reported

Pathum Thani police on Tuesday retrieved the body of a Thai woman from the Chao Phraya river . . . .

Blond hair and blue eyes ?

Remember the bodyless head hanging from the Rama VIII bridge a couple of years ago? That was ruled a suicide.

When there's a decapitation, two words come to mind: Russian Mob.

The fella attempted to hang himself, however the impact when the noose tightened decapitated him.

Hence why they found the decapitated body under the bridge, and his head still hanging from it.

Suicide, not Moscow Mafia.

OT but pertinent to how bad info gets around-

I remember it was first reported the head was in a bag, which drove murder/ conspiracy theory quite a bit.

But further reports determined the head was in a bag alright, But AFTER it was placed in the bag by the coroner team.

Yes, I agree. Even ear wax consistency is different. ( We ARE different.) But I think a court would want DNA proof as other indicators are not 100% conclusive, particularly in mixed heritage persons.

I was under the impression that DNA was not necessarily the only way to determine whether a body is Asian or Caucasian since there are physical differences. ie bone length, pelvis etc etc