Retirement Visa Question

Hi All

I am going to China to teach for a year - maybe two

I am renewing my retirement visa in Chiang Mai right now.

It will be good until Sept 14th, 2012. I will have spent 10 months in China

and will return to Thailand in June, 2012. I assume the visa will be valid

when I land in Thailand in June 2012?? Is this so? Or must I take other action?

If I have to....after having spent two 10 month periods in China?

Can one apply for a retirement visa in Thailand from China??

Or since I am a US Citizen ???

Appreciate any and all sincere comments

Walt

wally1k.

You need a Re Entry Permit to keep your extension valid.

If you do not have one your permision to stay will expire when you leave Thailand.

If you have one you will be given around 3 months when you return.

Re Entry Permit costs 1,000 Baht from Immigration.

You cannot apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa in China.

As said you need to obtain a re-entry permit prior to leaving Thailand and using that obtain the Sept 14th, 2012 date again on return.

Could someone please give me information on how to obtain a Non-O visa? Senerio; I am married to a Thai and retired drawing Social Security if this helps. Thanks

Contact a Royal Thai Consulate with marriage certificate, copy of wife ID card and home register (signed/dated by her) and apply (the same as any other visa). A single entry allows 90 day stay and multi entry unlimited number of 90 day stays for one year validity period of visa.

If you are actually asking about staying in Thailand for a year without leaving there are financial conditions (400k in bank or 40k income)for men to meet and if of retirement age (over 50) and able to meet those conditions (800k in bank or 65k per month income) it is a very simple process

wally1k.

You need a Re Entry Permit to keep your extension valid.

If you do not have one your permision to stay will expire when you leave Thailand.

If you have one you will be given around 3 months when you return.

Re Entry Permit costs 1,000 Baht from Immigration.

You cannot apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa in China.

Question:

Is the OP still required to do the 90 day address reporting while in China for 10 months?

Can you get a non o visa for a year stay in Thailand without meeting all the financial requirements if you are married to a thai. or have you still got to have the 800k or 65k/month combination.

I am looking to retire there with my wife at the end of the year and I dont want to do visa runs every three months.

Are you talking about a visa or a 1 year extension of stay from immigration. For a visa based on having a Thai wife normally the mariage certificate is enough.

1 year extension of stay have stricter requirements. Based on having a Thai wife the requirements for an extension of stay are:

40,000 baht per month income (your income only)

OR

400,000 baht in a bankaccount in Thailand in your name for at least 2 months

There is no combination of income and money in the bank for based on marriage.

Are you talking about a visa or a 1 year extension of stay from immigration. For a visa based on having a Thai wife normally the mariage certificate is enough.

1 year extension of stay have stricter requirements. Based on having a Thai wife the requirements for an extension of stay are:

40,000 baht per month income (your income only)

OR

400,000 baht in a bankaccount in Thailand in your name for at least 2 months

There is no combination of income and money in the bank for based on marriage.

Can I just ask - is 2 months sufficient for the FIRST extension ?

Can you get a non o visa for a year stay in Thailand without meeting all the financial requirements if you are married to a thai. or have you still got to have the 800k or 65k/month combination.

I am looking to retire there with my wife at the end of the year and I dont want to do visa runs every three months.

If you want the easy retirement extension it is 800k/65k or combo. But marriage would qualify for the 400k/40k Thai Wife extension (if wife is Thai) but more paperwork and wife would be required and a 30 day under review period each year. Both allow stay without leaving but you currently have to report address every 90 days.

Hi all,

Retirement Visa question ?

The 800000 Baht which needs to be in a Thai account to be eligible for a Retirement Visa and subsequent 1 year extension.

Does this need to be replenished or appear to be replenished every year in the thai bank account?

In other words is it OK to put 800000 Baht in my Thai bank account and leave it there for life ?

So each year x months before the retirement visa extension application the same 800000 is still there.

So essentially just 'write-off'' 800000 for visa purposes and then then just leave the money in my will.

Bonz.

If you want the easy retirement extension it is 800k/65k or combo. But marriage would qualify for the 400k/40k Thai Wife extension (if wife is Thai) but more paperwork and wife would be required and a 30 day under review period each year. Both allow stay without leaving but you currently have to report address every 90 days.

Thank you for your reply. But can i get a one year visa from the thai embassy in london with 400k/40k finance qualification or must I get 3 months visa first then extend in Thailand

A one year visa is not what you said you wanted - that only allows stay of 90 days. You can come and go for a year but must leave at the end of 90 days. There is no O-A for marriage. So what you want is a single entry non immigrant O visa (which requires no financials just proof of marriage or being over age 50) and when in Thailand extend.

If you are willing to make 90 day exits/return you can likely get a multi entry non immigrant O visa without financials on marriage proof.

Hi all,

The 800000 Baht which needs to be in a Thai account to be eligible for a Retirement Visa and subsequent 1 year extension.

Does this need to be replenished or appear to be replenished every year in the thai bank account?

In other words is it OK to put 800000 Baht in my Thai bank account and leave it there for life ?

So each year x months before the retirement visa extension application the same 800000 is still there.

So essentially just 'write-off'' 800000 for visa purposes and then then just leave the money in my will.

Bonz.

Yes you can do that - most people that do use a fixed deposit account (just make sure it is a cash account that allows withdrawal of principle) as they pay higher interest.

Hi all,

Bonz.

Yes you can do that - most people that do use a fixed deposit account (just make sure it is a cash account that allows withdrawal of principle) as they pay higher interest.

Excellent, thanks for the reply Lopburi ! Just simplifies everything.

Okay I'm really confused now.

What is the best visa to get in these circumstances with minimum amount of visa renewals runs etc.

My wife (thai) and I want to retire in thailand. iam over 50 60 in fact I reside in UK at the moment. I have pension of 9000 pound per annum paid into uk Bank account. I can at a push deposit 800k Baht in Thai Bank account but would rather not. I would like to be able to return home once every year for a short while.

What is the best visa to get to start with so I have not got to keep to much paperwork or do visa runs or keep to much wonga in a thai bank

12 Month Extensions for retirement.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

12 Month Extensions for Marriage.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Whatever suits your pocket.

Either method does not need border runs but require you to report to Immigration every 90 days.

If you want to leave the country for a holiday you need to purchase a Re Entry Permit from Immigration.

1. You also have the non immigrant O-A long stay visa option from Embassy London. That would not require any funds in Thailand for a year (or almost two years if multi entry) and provide a one year permitted to stay on entry. But you would require a simple medical form and a police records check.

2. For extensions of stay in Thailand you also can use combination of Embassy letter of pension and bank deposit (so only about half of the 800k would be required in bank for retirement extension).

OK, I have two questions after reading these posts

1. For the marriage extension. Does the money (400,000 baht) have to be in my personal account? I thought it had to be in a joint account with the Thai wife.

2. Isn't it the same as with a retirement visa whereas the 400,000 baht is a combo of income and money in bank?