Back In The Ukkr

paulfromphuket

We pay 40 baht for 20L blue bottles of drinking water (same as you would use in a water cooler in an office back home) from a truck which delivers in our soi every Tuesday.

That's weird. I get the same bottles (SPA) for 32 Bt a bottle. We just give this number a call and they bring it round in a samlor within the hour.

I would call it good luck, good fortune or astute purchasing if you can buy something cheaper than me. I don't get the weird bit.

I didn't go looking for a bargain, the truck just drove past the front door and they asked if we wanted deliveries. I'm not going to waste my time looking for a better deal to save 8 baht.

Is it just me or has it gone quiet in here lately?

No one is arguing the toss on the price of eggs (or water) just for the sake of stirring things up.

I've heard they're trying to ban beach restaurants up Bang Tao way, does it apply to other things as well? :whistling:

WOOHOO!!

I also pay 32 baht for the SPA bottles...

They aren't banning beach restaurants in Bangtao, what they are trying to do is stop the restaurants building out onto the sand.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We pay 40 baht for 20L blue bottles of drinking water (same as you would use in a water cooler in an office back home) from a truck which delivers in our soi every Tuesday.

That's weird. I get the same bottles (SPA) for 32 Bt a bottle. We just give this number a call and they bring it round in a samlor within the hour.

I would call it good luck, good fortune or astute purchasing if you can buy something cheaper than me. I don't get the weird bit.

I didn't go looking for a bargain, the truck just drove past the front door and they asked if we wanted deliveries. I'm not going to waste my time looking for a better deal to save 8 baht.

No one is arguing the toss on the price of eggs (or water) just for the sake of stirring things up.

I've heard they're trying to ban beach restaurants up Bang Tao way, does it apply to other things as well? :whistling:

WOOHOO!!

I also pay 32 baht for the SPA bottles...

They aren't banning beach restaurants in Bangtao, what they are trying to do is stop the restaurants building out onto the sand.

I do not think you understand what old croc meant :)

Well folks I am back in rainy Phuket, warm rain, the garden looks terific and after a good night kip I am ready to face this world again.

The last thing I bought in the UK was a pint at Guinness at the the airport at just 3.60 GBP which was actually quite cheap, maybe they want you to leave with a nice warm feeling. I am however so happy to be home and funny enough the first thing I have bought here was a pint of O Hara's stout at about 3.60 GBP which I have to say I enjoyed a great deal more than Manchester airport,

I will have to visit the UK again next year and I shall start saving up now.

O'Hara's stout? In Phuket? That's a new one on me. Where?

Peppers in Tinlay place, Cherntalay and the Lounge in Bang Tao place. a very nice pint indeed.

We have a bottled water cooler although we leave the refrigeration of most of the time and just use it

for dispensing water

The water seller comes past just about every day,We have 4 bottles and when 3 are empty we leave

them inside the front gate and they replace them with full bottles at 12 Baht each and they bring them

to the house

The 'big' water bottles cost 10baht, anybody paying more is paying a 'special' farang price.

you have not disillusioned me as i am aware that some of the NI money is siphoned off to be wasted elsewhere however it is the 'fee' that must be paid in order to get health care so is comparable to the private health care costs here. In my case i now pay less and a good fast service at Bangkok Phuket that in my opinion is much better than the NHS service in the UK.

The unit price is approximately 7 pence per unit here and 14 pence per unit in the UK. Can answer that question in about 10 seconds on Google.. ...

Except that N.I. is not "the 'fee' that must be paid in order to get health care" in the UK.

The unemployed do not pay N.I., but receive free health care.

Meanwhile, British pensioners still paying UK tax but living abroad are not entitled to free health care. Go figure :blink:.

Electricity? I will take your word for it that it is cheaper here.

Edit - the really annoying thing is that my BUPA private health insurance was actually cheaper in the UK than the 'International (excluding N America) coverage is here in Thailand??!

The 'big' water bottles cost 10baht, anybody paying more is paying a 'special' farang price.

The 10 Bt bottles come in those big, white bottles. The water isn't as high a quality as the small, plasitc bottles that you see most tourists clutching.

The 32 Bt bottles come in blue-tinted, see-thru plastic bottles and the water quality is the same as above mentioned small bottles.

Drink a glass from each and you'll know why I don't mind paying a bit more. It has nothing to do with "a special farang price". It's 32 Bt a bottle to whomever orders it.

The 10 Bt bottles come in those big, white bottles. The water isn't as high a quality as the small, plasitc bottles that you see most tourists clutching.

The 32 Bt bottles come in blue-tinted, see-thru plastic bottles and the water quality is the same as above mentioned small bottles.

Drink a glass from each and you'll know why I don't mind paying a bit more. It has nothing to do with "a special farang price". It's 32 Bt a bottle to whomever orders it.

We get 19 litre bottles delivered daily for 15 Baht.

We have a bottled water cooler although we leave the refrigeration of most of the time and just use it

for dispensing water

The water seller comes past just about every day,We have 4 bottles and when 3 are empty we leave

them inside the front gate and they replace them with full bottles at 12 Baht each and they bring them

to the house

Not always, depends also on where exactly you live. To far from their standard route you pay extra. At our home they don't even come, too far, so we just collect rainwater for drinking.

for dispensing water

to the house

I certainly wont be losing any sleep at 2 baht a bottle,:D

Quite. And that is why we are all treated as rich 'farang' that deserve to be ripped off.

The UK is pretty awful in too many ways, but at least they charge the same price to everyone. Any Brit visiting a tourist area will pay exactly the same (over)price as the tourist.

I don't think I get hit with many Farang prices here.

My little lady does all the shopping and bargaining with vendors, etc.

I rarely go to places where prices are hiked up just for me and I don't sweat about the little things.

I know I'm lucky to be able to retire here where my Australian earnt/earning money goes much further than it would back there. I sold my 35 year old basic house in Oz for nearly 3 times the amount I bought my pool villa(!) here. Food and many other basic items are much cheaper here.

I pay much less for rates, water, ISP, Cable tv, fines, govt surcharges, medications (available over the counter without paying for a doctors visit) and beer.

There are problems and frustrations here, mainly the traffic, the potential for violence at the drop of a hat and the horrendous price of a good bottle of wine.

Without having to scratch out a living in Thailand like many do, I find I can live like a fairly well off guy here. Even with providing financial support for many people I haven't met in banoork land, I still find I'm spending less than I would back in the western world.

You misunderstood me. I realised that you were buying higher quality water which is why I PM'd you to get the number.

I was only talking about the big white bottles that you can buy/get delivered pretty much everywhere for 10 baht.

WOOHOO!!

I holiday in the Laguna complex every year, could you tell me which restaurants are being banned please. I hope it isn't any of my favourites. :(

t thought this topic was about back in the uk....talk about off topic.. all.. about 10 bht water etc... now someone wants to know about his favoritr eating place in Laguna :angry:

Let me guess.

You're now a mod that's been here in Phuket 35 years.

No i am not a mod...its my opinion...mr Sarcastic.....still waiting for your job in the cold are you?:lol: