Israel evacuates embassy in Jordan ahead of protests

News_Editor

Israel evacuates embassy in Jordan ahead of protests

2011-09-16 07:13:31 GMT+7 (ICT)

JERUSALEM (BNO NEWS) -- The staff of the Israeli embassy in Jordan's capital of Amman returned back home on Thursday amid fears of anti-Israel protests, media reports said. The staff left on Wednesday, a day earlier than planned.

A Foreign Ministry official said the diplomats will return to Amman at the end of the weekend as usual. The embassy staff returns to Israel each Thursday for the weekend due to the short distance between the countries and security concerns, according to the Jerusalem Post.

All diplomatic personnel at the embassy, with the exception of the number 2 official there, left on Wednesday. A Facebook organized march under the banner of "No Zionist embassy on Jordanian territory" comes amid increasing voices in Jordan calling for an end to the normalization of ties between the two countries. 

A senior Foreign Ministry official told Haaretz newspaper that more than 3,000 signed up to participate in the rally. However, officials estimated that only a few several hundred will actually attend.

"Jordan has a 'responsible adult' and they will not allow for riots similar to those which took place in Cairo," one Foreign Ministry official said, adding that "the embassy was closed a day ahead of schedule just to be sure."

The decision comes less than a week after Egyptian protesters stormed the Israeli embassy in Cairo, during which six Israeli security guards locked themselves behind a steel door while protesters ransacked the embassy.

Last Friday, more than 2,000 protesters gathered in front of the embassy to dismantle a concrete wall which was set up by security forces around the premises. Some protesters managed to break into one of the floors of the building housing the Israeli Embassy, seizing hundreds of documents and throwing many from the window of the 15-story building.

Three Egyptian civilians were killed and 1,049 were injured after fierce clashes between police forces and Egyptian protesters erupted, the Egyptian Health Ministry said.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-09-16

You can see the Arab states immediately bordering Israel now starting to tighten the noose around her head. Let hope the US sees sense and doesn't go ahead with it's plan to exercise it's right to veto the Palestinians efforts for Statehood.

IMO it won't be too long before the Libyan brothers, after their uprising success [backed by NATO], will here the crys of the Palestinian people also, and will join in support for their oppressed Arab brothers. Watch for the Syrians when Assas finally falls. They too will join in with similar protests against Israel.

Edited by coma

You can see the Arab state immediately bordering Israel now starting to tighten the noose around her head. Let hope the US see sence and doesn't go ahead with in plan to exercise it's right to veto the Palestinians efforts for Statehood.

If they do there will be orchestrated premeditated violence. If they don't the result will be identical, point being the U.N vote is not about facilitating peace but a pretext for war.

You can see the Arab state immediately bordering Israel now starting to tighten the noose around her head. Let hope the US see sence and doesn't go ahead with in plan to exercise it's right to veto the Palestinians efforts for Statehood.

If they do there will be orchestrated premeditated violence. If they don't the result will be identical, point being the U.N vote is not about facilitating peace but a pretext for war.

I dont see it that way Dan.Yes if they do veto there will be reprisal violence no doubting that. But giving them what they want is a precurser to everlasting peace. Give them what they want and deserve then they have no grounds for redress, violence or to push for anything more than they asked for.After that if they continued their struggle after they achieved statehood then THEY will surely find themselves being the ones isolated by ALL.

"The US stance on the only way forward is through Israeli/ Palestinian diologue". Bullshit!!! That has been the chain of thought since the beginning of this conflict back in the middle of last century and look where it is now. In the same situation.

It is time for some new thoughts, plans and new ways of going forward. 'Not the same old same old'. :jap:

Trouble is there is no clear leadership to base a state on and Hamas clearly oppose the move.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/498281-hamas-opposes-palestinian-un-bid-warns-of-consequences/

Check the thread out especially the two lines I highlighted which spells out the Hamas position; If a Palestinian state within 1967 borders was ratified by the U.N it would take away Hamas's strategy of continuing violence against Israeli occupation.

It is absurd for a state to come into being when there is no clear leadership and one of the groups vying for leadership has an explicit aim to wipe an existing sovereign state off the map.

I have no problem with the Palestinians getting statehood, provided they meet some criteria that nations are expected to follow. What is the economic base of the country? (Currently it seems like it's smuggling, flotillas and hand-outs). What currency will they use? What framework for a country exists? Immigration laws? Passports?

It could be the media attention on the negative, but why would anyone want a country whose singular purpose seems to be to cause a problem for another country?

I very much doubt that the US will be blackmailed into changing it's position.

Trouble is there is no clear leadership to base a state on and Hamas clearly oppose the move.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/498281-hamas-opposes-palestinian-un-bid-warns-of-consequences/

Check the thread out especially the two lines I highlighted which spells out the Hamas position; If a Palestinian state within 1967 borders was ratified by the U.N it would take away Hamas's strategy of continuing violence against Israeli occupation.

It is absurd for a state to come into being when there is no clear leadership and one of the groups vying for leadership has an explicit aim to wipe an existing sovereign state off the map.

I have to agree with Steely on this one. There is so much strife within Palestine right now, they are clearly not ready to accomplish anything resembling a workable separate state. It is such that they may never be ready and this latest craziness is simply a pretext for a war that may have no end. Nobody wins in such a war.

If the Palestinians could get the Israeli boot of their necks, they would much more likely to achieve success.

That's what the UN vote is about, and that's why Israel is so frightened of the vote.

I wish I could simply agree with your position on this but I can't. I see the pressure coming from the US regarding their vote in the Security Council starting WW3 and that is a very real possibility. Right now, the US is working the other countries as hard as they can to get one or more of them to veto. The main effort however, and for many logical reasons, the US doesn't want to have to vote on this one.

If the Palestinians could get the Israeli boot of their necks, they would much more likely to achieve success.

That's what the UN vote is about, and that's why Israel is so frightened of the vote.

Israel just asks for trouble, It deserves everything it gets.

And no I'm not anti jewish

Edited by Pedzie

Right now, the US is working the other countries as hard as they can to get one or more of them to veto. The main effort however, and for many logical reasons, the US doesn't want to have to vote on this one.

Yes, Israel has again put the US in another difficult spot. And the US will end up with more bad press and negative world opinion because of it.

Sooner or later the US will need to wake up to the fact that it is on the wrong side of justice.

I know in oz our illustrious leader has decided to abstain on the vote.

Certainly can't accuse her of having balls.

There's that 'ball' issue again. :jap:

hahahaha, yeah got me.

I would have thought it only a matter of caution to close the embassy. Better to do that than risk someone's life. I don't see the big problem with it.

http://www.thaivisa....f-consequences/

As I have always maintained. IMO when the people of Palestine have their statehood it will be them that will realize that Hamas is a third leg and a detremental to their young fledgling country, therefore will disperse Hamas themselves. A mini revolution of their own.

Sort term it would have to be Fatah running the show until they get their shop in order,have elections and then bring about channels of diologue with Israel aimed at bringing lasting peace between the two.

A happy Palestine is a happy world. Except for Israel that will have to make the most sacrifices in returning occupied land.

Edited by coma