Air Asia,Fees

KKvampire

Just had an email from Airasia,com, pushing their online checkin facility . Of course if you dont use it then its a 200bht fee for physically checking in, Always rely on Airasia to claim how wonderful they are with their prices being ' competitive" I guess they find it more business friendly to make money outside the advertised price of an airticket emblazed across their website,

^^^^

Indeed and many of the add on's can be avoided, convienience fee - open a SCB account, luggage fees - carry your own, seat selection - make new friends, check in fee - check in online. Like most airlines, fuel surcharges and taxes have to be paid, no way round that.

Air Asia seems to be following what other budget airlines in other countries have been doing for years. I remember showing up without a boarding pass on Ryan Air...at least I think it was Ryan Air? They were going to charge me some crazy amount to print it out. Luckily, they made some mistake so the agent had to print it out anyway.

We also drank a bottle of wine while waiting for the flight as our carry on was 1kg overweight!

It's just no fun flying any more....

Air Asia seems to be following what other budget airlines in other countries have been doing for years. I remember showing up without a boarding pass on Ryan Air...at least I think it was Ryan Air? They were going to charge me some crazy amount to print it out. Luckily, they made some mistake so the agent had to print it out anyway.

We also drank a bottle of wine while waiting for the flight as our carry on was 1kg overweight!

I beg to differ. Flying is still fun for me.

But not with Air Asia. I don't want to fly through hoops just to avoid some added on costs like opening specifically for Air Asia an SBC account.

Also I don't know now where I want to spent some quality time in 6 months from today.

If I feel the urge to travel I look at the airlines offers, choose the one with the best quality/price offer and go ahead.

I understand that some posters here like Air Asia for what it is, I cannot deny that for some people it's a godsend that they can fly cheap, and I don't begrudge them.

But please allow me to travel in the style I want because in the end it's my money and I think I'm entitled to spend it anyway I want.

Fact is that all the budget airlines try to milk their customers, and very often with sneaky methods and I don't like that.

Just my 2 cents

Yermanee :jap:

AA lost my 15+ return flights a year (always 2 people) due to their fees scam...if you like their kind of service go for it ...I went

For me it is a perfect example of how the World is now-a-days ..if it looks good there is always a catch

I give all company's like this 1 chance then 1 take my business else where, the little savings are just not worth all the c@ap attached

I beg to differ. Flying is still fun for me.

But not with Air Asia. I don't want to fly through hoops just to avoid some added on costs like opening specifically for Air Asia an SBC account.

Also I don't know now where I want to spent some quality time in 6 months from today.

If I feel the urge to travel I look at the airlines offers, choose the one with the best quality/price offer and go ahead.

I understand that some posters here like Air Asia for what it is, I cannot deny that for some people it's a godsend that they can fly cheap, and I don't begrudge them.

But please allow me to travel in the style I want because in the end it's my money and I think I'm entitled to spend it anyway I want.

Fact is that all the budget airlines try to milk their customers, and very often with sneaky methods and I don't like that.

Just my 2 cents

Right on. Couldn't agree more. We flew 2 different budget airlines on our last trip to France, Spain and Portugal. Can't remember exactly which ones, but they were cheap! And with my limited budget, I just have to deal with their issues...and sometimes you get caught.

I have a good friend from Idaho who is 70 or so. When he wants to go somewhere, he just buys a ticket. Full fare so he can change it whenever he wants, or even reschedule. Wish I had that kind of money...combine that with biz class and flying is for sure fun! :D

If you can book during one of Air Asia's sale promotions, and your required dates match, you will probably get a good deal. That is if you have the patience to plough thro their booking procedure and cancel most,or all of their add ons and extras.

I currently also have booking with Orient Thai and Nok Air for flights in November. It is a pleasure to be able to select your seat number on line with these carriers. Without any extra cost or hassle of course.

ya have to be careful when ya fly.I can't believe bangkok airways,Bkk to samui,it's outrageous.People should boycott it,but they don't

It's very difficult to boycott them, if you want to visit, or live in, Samui as Bangkok Airways own the airport, they can charge what they like to land there, doesn't make it right though.

^^^^

Indeed and many of the add on's can be avoided, convienience fee - open a SCB account, luggage fees - carry your own, seat selection - make new friends, check in fee - check in online. Like most airlines, fuel surcharges and taxes have to be paid, no way round that.

And after all, they are in business to make money !

I fly Thai Air. I know what i am paying 'up front'. I am happy with that and being a frequent flyer (Royal Orchid) i get 30kg., can reserve any specific seat when booking without extra costs, also get complimentary drinks with food included. When i get to BKK i can get a free flight home to Samui with my frerquent flyer points. I find the cabin staff very attentive. When you are looking for 'cheap' be aware. Recently i had to fly Brisbane -BKK., Royal Brunei..................wow ! what a mistake. Cabin staff did'nt seem to know that they had passengers, it took me 40 mins of waiting to get the coke that i ordered and then they brought "orange juice"............sorry do not have coke...............Rum and Orange YUK !( i came prepared with bottle of rum, as no alcolhol served on Muslim flight) The food consisted of one chicken pate bun. And to top it all we were squeesed in like sardines. Never fly Royal Brunei.

secrets of cheap flights

Air Asia does seem to try and trick/confuse their customers into accepting additional charges (extra baggage, seat selection, insurance), but if you take your time and read all the information on every page and only select what you want, the prices are very reasonable.

I booked a flight this morning, and it probably took me an additional 5 minutes to read an uncheck the various 'options', but the price was well worth that five minutes.

What I will say about Air Asia is that whilst they do advertise a headline rate all their add ons are available to see on their website, and during the booking process you are able to add on or deselect some of those you don't want.

Take a look at today's press and have a look at the air fares offered by major carriers and travel agents, they all show a headline figure adding that fuel surcharges, taxes and other costs are extra, but they say what the extra costs are until well into the booking process.

I note that Thai Airways, to it's credit, quote fully inclusive prices on their website, I recently priced a flight to London on British Airways, the headline fare was 24,000 Baht for the round trip, once all the add ons were included, and they don't go into full details, the fare was in excess of 42,000 Baht.

What I will say about Air Asia is that whilst they do advertise a headline rate all their add ons are available to see on their website, and during the booking process you are able to add on or deselect some of those you don't want.

Take a look at today's press and have a look at the air fares offered by major carriers and travel agents, they all show a headline figure adding that fuel surcharges, taxes and other costs are extra, but they say what the extra costs are until well into the booking process.

I note that Thai Airways, to it's credit, quote fully inclusive prices on their website, I recently priced a flight to London on British Airways, the headline fare was 24,000 Baht for the round trip, once all the add ons were included, and they don't go into full details, the fare was in excess of 42,000 Baht.

Dear Oldgit,

I understand that you like Air Asia, but please accept that not everybody knows how to beat the booking system that's specifically designed to confuse the unwary traveler, and even that some people who know how to beat them at their own game don't like it one bit.

The fact that you benefit from your knowledge of the system, doesn't mean that the system is transparent and honest, and that dishonesty is what many people are complaining about.

What could be easier than just publicize the basic price and a list of extra's which you can choose from, but no that would be to easy.

No malice intended.

What could be easier than just publicize the basic price and a list of extra's which you can choose from, but no that would be to easy.

No malice intended.

I agree with you 100%, in fact you will be aware that Air Asia, and most other airlines, already do that, as another poster said you need to navigate through their booking system to add on what you want and delete what you don't. I'm fortunate in having the time and patience to do that.

You are right, I do like Air Asia and I have had some great bargains, Bali for 700 Baht, Chiang Mai for a couple of hundred or so, Vietnam, Singapore and KL for bargain prices, I am flying to Macau on Monday for tad under 5,000 Baht for return journeys for the two of us.

I fly with many airlines, other posters are correct in saying that AA is not always the cheapest, my last flight to HKG was on an Emirates A380 for about half of was AA was wanting on the day we wanted to go.

I think the point I'm making is that AA offer some good deals, they fly new aircraft and they are normally punctual, yes they will charge for loads of extras, but they are pretty up front about about it, and they are no worse than any other carrier for their extras.

You either love 'em or hate 'em, bit like Marmite.

I fly Thai Air. I know what i am paying 'up front'. I am happy with that and being a frequent flyer (Royal Orchid) i get 30kg., can reserve any specific seat when booking without extra costs, also get complimentary drinks with food included. When i get to BKK i can get a free flight home to Samui with my frerquent flyer points. I find the cabin staff very attentive. When you are looking for 'cheap' be aware. Recently i had to fly Brisbane -BKK., Royal Brunei..................wow ! what a mistake. Cabin staff did'nt seem to know that they had passengers, it took me 40 mins of waiting to get the coke that i ordered and then they brought "orange juice"............sorry do not have coke...............Rum and Orange YUK !( i came prepared with bottle of rum, as no alcolhol served on Muslim flight) The food consisted of one chicken pate bun. And to top it all we were squeesed in like sardines. Never fly Royal Brunei.

Right on. Just booked some TG flights on the HKT-HKG route. I am paying something like 12,000 baht extra to go in business class on TG vs the Air Asia option with the baggage and seat selection fees etc. There is value in that TG flight for me. I know that if something goes wrong, TG will take care of me. I can change my ticket, my luggage is more likely to arrive, I can get through to the call center and the ticket agent is friendly and helpful (honest, I never have a problem with TG in that respect).Checkin at TG is a breeze vs the long long lines for the understaffed Air Asia desk. I will travel in a cheap seat on a short haul flight and I don't squander money, but in air travel today, you get what you pay for, Air Asia is ideal for a short flight when you have no bags and have flexibility on departure times. It can even work if one is going on a vacation and has flight flexibility. Anything else and it isn't a good fit. I think the travelers on Air Asia that have the problems are those that are used to full service carriers and that fall outside the aforementioned demographic. Air Asia works for me on the short same day or overnighters flights to Singapore. It sometmes works on a same day flight to Bangkok, Anything else and it is a stress filled hassle. Don't try and connect with another airline after an Air Asia flight unless you have hours to kill because the lack of baggage handling agreements and the unreliability of being rescheduled on a connecting flight due to an Air Asia delayis a major liability. Miss a flight on a Bangkok Airways or TG routing and you will be taken care of. Cripes, even the poor cousin Nok Air makes an effort in that regard.

No malice intended.

I agree with you 100%, in fact you will be aware that Air Asia, and most other airlines, already do that, as another poster said you need to navigate through their booking system to add on what you want and delete what you don't. I'm fortunate in having the time and patience to do that.

You are right, I do like Air Asia and I have had some great bargains, Bali for 700 Baht, Chiang Mai for a couple of hundred or so, Vietnam, Singapore and KL for bargain prices, I am flying to Macau on Monday for tad under 5,000 Baht for return journeys for the two of us.

I fly with many airlines, other posters are correct in saying that AA is not always the cheapest, my last flight to HKG was on an Emirates A380 for about half of was AA was wanting on the day we wanted to go.

I think the point I'm making is that AA offer some good deals, they fly new aircraft and they are normally punctual, yes they will charge for loads of extras, but they are pretty up front about about it, and they are no worse than any other carrier for their extras.

You either love 'em or hate 'em, bit like Marmite.

Exactly, if they're the cheapest I book Air Asia, if not I book the airline that is the cheapest.

It's not rocket science.

hate marmite, love Air Asia.